ad: elecraft

New Kenwood Radios: TH-D72 and TS-590S

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W9MMS, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not just another handheld... it's a replacement for the discontinued Th-D7 APRS handheld.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

2. W1PA

W1PA Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess that also assumes or only looks at "repairable" radios... I have a FT-100D I'd love to send you, but you can't get parts for it (re: V/U PA module)

Bill

3. AB0RE

AB0RE Ham Member QRZ Page

You guys are killin' me!

I've heard many complain about the TS-2000 faceplate's slanted, "contemporary" styling. I've heard many complain that the TS-480's faceplate is detached from the body of the radio. The TS-590 solves both of these major complaints, yet we still complain it looks too ugly. Nevermind how it might perform.

Additionally, people are complaining that Kenwood is behind the times and that the TS-590 is nothing new from Kenwood's previous offerings. The radio has a 32-bit floating-point DSP, yet we still complain about its performance with little or no basis to do so.

I think no matter what Kenwood does hams will continue to gripe. At this point VERY LITTLE information has been offered on any of these new radios from Kenwood. Don't be so negative. Wait til the radios hit the shelves, wait til we get the final feature lists, and wait til the ARRL lab comes back with the performance specs. Chances are you MIGHT just like the radio. In the meantime, don't be so quick to pass judgment.

4. W9GDH/SK2023

W9GDH/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

The new HT is also to compete with the Yaesu VX-8GR with built in GPS.

5. WV6Z

WV6Z Ham Member QRZ Page

That's odd, I always thought the VX-8GR was Yaesu's attempt to compete with the now - long - out - of - production TH-D7Ag. :)

6. K9FON

K9FON Guest

Kenwood

I have owned several kenwood HF rigs and my fave was the TS 830S and the one i own now my TS 450sat. Its a shame Kenwood lapsed for so long in the HF market. I'd say they are a little late in the game to start a new rig, but thats my opinion.

7. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think we can help.
    We have some replacements in stock (I believe)
    I am familiar with that problem It's a fairly common failure. Yaesu engineers could have done some things differently on that unit!

(936) 564-6700 9:00 - 16:00 CSDT 12:30-13:30 Closed for lunch

We don't ever say "Can't"

73's - Mark

8. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I failed to mention that the engineers at Yaesu REALLY messed up when they designed that radio.
    The reason the PA's failed is because of aomething called "Thermal Runaway"
    The MOSFET final stage was designed to run in the AB bias mode, but what happens during standby?? Um, lets see I bias .4A * 13.8VDC = 5.52 watts of continous heat dissipation, then they failed to add a negative coefficient
    thermla diode bias circuit.
    Simply put it's going to get hotter and hotter until, "KABOOM" it craters.

Class C operation would be the correct re design for this radio.
    In Class C you might see a slight decrese in RF power, other than that reason, I know of no other.
    A continous running fan on the final might be a "Spit and baling twine" fix too.

Do a google on Thermal Runaway. It will make things a little clearer.

73' s - Mark

9. LC2AAT

LC2AAT Ham Member QRZ Page

10. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Good man...

The 850 was one of the best analog-only rigs ever produced for Amateurs. It's receiver specs speak for themselves. It is also my main rig for the time being.

Let's see how this new Kenwood stands up to scrutiny -- after it's released.

11. HB9PJT

HB9PJT Ham Member QRZ Page

12. KF6IIU

KF6IIU Ham Member QRZ Page

That will look good next to my TS-570

I have a IC-706mk2g and a TS-570DG and for a non-portable station I'll take the Kenwood. It's just easier to listen to: the audio DSP actually makes the signal clearer instead of harder to listen to, it never gets hot, and it will tune up on bands where stray RF (or something) freaks out the Icom.

The weakest point in the 570 now is the filters, you can only add-in one, and they are made of unobtainium (although Inrad second-sources them.) IF DSP will solve that problem.

-w

13. K4EEZ

K4EEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I Like LARGE !!!! LED/LCD Displays on Radios
    the bigger the better

yah, Class C amp would have been the way to go.

14. W2VV

W2VV Ham Member QRZ Page

15. K4AX

K4AX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One feature of note is that the TS-590s has a USB port on the back, wonder it it will be for cat commands, sound or both? (like the IC-7200)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.