ad: Schulman-1

New Kenwood Radios: TH-D72 and TS-590S

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W9MMS, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AI6DX

AI6DX Ham Member QRZ Page

I LOVE your signature line! Soooo true! :D:D:D

2. W5TXR

W5TXR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Agreed

-Mark

3. KG4ZAR

KG4ZAR Ham Member QRZ Page

Likewise!!!

4. KG4ZAR

KG4ZAR Ham Member QRZ Page

I do know what you mean!! I'd be first in line for a 6m/2m all-mode mobile....or base for that matter. Some of us DO NOT want a 706MKIIG or other HF rig just to get mobile ssb capability.

Larry

5. K4AX

K4AX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Comparing a IF DSP based rig to a FT-857/97 is apples and oranges.

I have a FT-857D, and while it's a great rig, I'd trade it any day for something with IF DSP, a decent roofing filter, and adjustable bandwidth. I've loaded mine with two filters, but that sticks me with just 3 bandwidths to play with, and the AGC still gets swamped from strong stations just outside the passband.

6. N3WVB

N3WVB Ham Member QRZ Page

Kenwood Still In Ham Radio

I am both surprised and happy by Kenwood's new editions to ham radio. Kenwood has been rumored for years to be getting out of Amature Radio to pursue its other ventures. My dissapointment is that they are still playing catch up. We need more innovation, their 2000 had significant possibilities but the size and lack of cutting edge technology has it behind Yaesu. Kenwood lets get more creative and innovative, we need a rig with the
    T2000X features but with the size of a true rig with large easy to access knobs and a spectrum scope. Ofcourse we can say that Kenwood is keeping their costs affordable but I would say by going this they are costing themselves dearly in sales and status.
    Just my opinion........
    N3WVB
    Metro-Pittsburgh
    EN90

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, it looks like a real RADIO, not some fancy (AND EXPENSIVE) TOY!
    It's long overdue from Kenwood, but I'll wait until it is actually presented to the world. I HOPE it's true. KEnwood needs more than two HF radios, and the TS-2000 is overdue for an overhaul, anyway.

8. W6DDX

W6DDX Ham Member QRZ Page

I had sent an e-mail to Kenwood USA last year asking about new rigs and they told me that there would be a TS-570 replacement this year (2010) being unveiled and that a TS-2000 replacement would not come until some time in 2011.

I'm glad to hear Kenwood finally start to kick out rigs but I've already made my decision to step off the Kenwood train. Sorry Kenwood.

9. K7ZZY

K7ZZY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd like to see FM/SSB become the norm in all 2m and 2m/70cm mobiles.
    I'll go out on a limb: How about a 5W FM/SSB 2m mini Handie-Talkie? What fun!

One of the Chinese knock-off HT's is available as 2m / 1 1/4 m.
    Too bad the big guys can't offer this dual band flavor, both portable and mobile.

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  10. N3KIP

N3KIP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Belcom and Santec both used to make 2m FM/SSB HTs. Slightly off brands, but they were out there. I always wanted one, but was too financially embarassed back then. To give you an idea of how long ago I'm talking about, both of these radios had thumbwheel tuning.

11. N1JBS

N1JBS Ham Member QRZ Page

I am surprised that Kenwood did not replace it's Tm-742/Tm642 series of radios to match the Th-F6a. I am sure that Jetstream will have a new Ht out there at Dayton. Maybe we can bribe Pat to send us a few pictures....

12. W4JVY

W4JVY Ham Member QRZ Page

It just don;t figure,

Funny I was trained by Trio Kenwood and I own and operate
    Yaseu equipment. It just don;t figure.

13. N6CRR

N6CRR Ham Member QRZ Page

Prices

Anyone got an estimate on what these new Kenwoods are going to cost? May translation from a JA site, or a JA reading this can figure out what they cost in the home market.

14. A22EW

A22EW Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks an evolution from ts-570. This is great news. 570 has been a great rig. I love Kenwood and a gap in the entry level/midlevel has been seriously lacking.

15. N9ZI

N9ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

TS-590S

I used the TS-570 for several years, but then found the TS-850S & even the TS-480S had a much better receiver, so am trusting they will upgrade the old 570 receiver section in the new one.

I am a Kenwood fan, so hope this one is good, size looks nice, the old ones sure hold up good, still using the TS-850S as my main rig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.