ad: cq2k-1

New digital mode FT4

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Apr 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

New modes are great and everything, but every time we add a new mode we gobble up a little more bandwidth. Is anyone looking at reclaiming some of the old digital mode frequencies back? I haven't seen anyone operating JT65/JT9 in a very long time.

2. VE3BXG

VE3BXG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

K0IP and KC1DR like this.
  3. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Missed Ducie on 12m. Got them on 160-10 FT8 otherwise

4. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I use cw everyday...do you?

5. KT4U

KT4U XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use jt-65 to Europe in the am but lately even that has been hard to find. Not used jt-9 in a while. I especially like the digital modes when dxing, I have a hard enough time understanding English. Reading it on a screen is easier for me being hearing impaired.

N2SUB likes this.
  6. KD7WPJ

KD7WPJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The extremal variation of digital modes is CW mode!

7. KT4U

KT4U XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not everyday but use it when feel I can keep up.
    I came in after the requirement was dropped but learned anyway. I felt like I was missing something hearing it while on the digital portion of the band. Not to fast, 15 wpm or so. And really appreciate the faster ops slowing down to my speed answering their call.

VE3BXG likes this.
  8. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I use it when I want to or the situation requires it.

My favorite mode is AM.

9. W6BSD

W6BSD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is great news! Before FT8/FT4, to have your 50 states award, or any award, you had to talk to people, send and receive an RST that is always 5.9.9, politely ask to log the contact to QRZ. We had to chitchat and be nice. Let's face it, QSOs are not that interesting after all. Now I can have my computer talk to your computer. The exchange will be automatically logged. Without ever interacting with a human being ever again.

10. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FSK441A- HSMS... Qs would take from 15 to 100 minutes or so to complete. So no complaints here.

11. K2MFW

K2MFW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've come up with a similar contesting mode for cellphones...we just call as many other hams as possible in 24 hours. I expect this to be legal in about 5 years at this pace. WAS in 50 minutes!

W4HM likes this.
  12. W3KIT

W3KIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Every Ham I know their rigs have VFO, your probably do as well - use it!

If Digital is not your cup of tea.... drink something else or learn how to drink it.

N3OP, W9FL, KG5THG and 1 other person like this.
  13. W1HFP

W1HFP Ham Member QRZ Page

I think we are saying the same thing. I like FT8 but sometimes think it is too effortless. But, I very much appreciate the software's ability to do what it does. With that said, I am marching towards my first CW contact (still developing my receive skills). When I make this first CW contact it will be the biggest success of my ham career. This is because it is perhaps the most challenging and the most sought after mode - IMO at least. Many can do FT8, many can do SSB...it takes a trained OP and hard work to be a FB CW OP. Still though, I value all modes for what they are and what they bring to the hobby.

KT4U likes this.
  14. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here in central Florida I make JT65A and JT9 contacts everyday on 20 and 40 meters both day and night. I call CQ and it brings out dozens of JT65A and JT9 ops.

The QSO's occur on 14076-14078 kHz and 7076-7078 kHz.

15. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My cell phone has a Morse code ring tone on it. When it rings it gets lots of attention from non ham types.

Think of all of the non ham types that can join in on a cell phone contest!;) An Apple cell phone can be a multiplier and an Android a QTH domain.:D