ad: M2Ant-1

NEW 2 Bands in USA: 630meters (472-479 kHz) and 2200 meters (135.7-137.8 kHz )

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IW2BSF, Mar 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Or just hook up the local decommissioned MW BC tower, Ive heard that Europe is rapidly doing away with the band.

2. N6IE

N6IE Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess a lot folks don't know the difference between Transmitter Power Output (TPO) and EIRP. It's doubtful that a 50' vertical with a mediocre ground would have much more than 1% efficiency on 630 meters, so 500 Watts TPO would result in the rule-compliant 5 Watts EIRP. Here is a link to a calculator that plots all of that out:

http://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~dxt103/calculators/Rrad.php

KK4HPY, WD4IGX and KD2ACO like this.
  3. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunately they have a habit of tearing them down when they no longer are used.

I wonder how far away it is in time when the MW band is commercially abandoned. Maybe a 500m amateur band...

4. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is what I did using WSPR mode with roughly 50 milliWatts ERP (about 5 Watts to the antenna) a couple of years back using the experimental callsign WH2XQC (and I live on a small lot in the city; the antenna was only 22 ft tall):

[​IMG]

N5WLS, KD2ACO, WD4IGX and 1 other person like this.
  5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How long before someone starts selling a "G5RV" for those bands ?

G5RV Mini
    G5RV Junior
    G5RV
    G5RV Senior
    G5RV Grand-Pappy?
    G5Rv Great-Grand-Pappy?

6. KD2ACO

KD2ACO QRZ Lifetime Member #174 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Now, that's impressive!

N8UMW likes this.
  7. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

It's far from useless. There's a fair amount of beaconing activity now on the 1730 meter "experimenter's band." It's more useful for experimenting and very weak signal narrow band digital modes than for what you might think of as "regular" ham use, though. Propagation is sufficiently different that those power levels are actually quite generous. LF experimenters in the existing no-license band can hear beacons hundreds of miles away now using those very narrow modes and much more restrictive power and antenna limits of 1 watt and no more than a 50 foot antenna inclusive of feedline.

KK4HPY likes this.
  8. WD4IGX

Spot on. This will be fun.

In a way, I'm getting more excited about getting back into ham radio now than back when I left it in the 90s. My smart phone removes the real use I had back then for VHF/UHF mobile, and frankly the new rigs, were I to use one, would leave me uninterested in HF as it is. But there's great new stuff to experiment and tinker with, these bands among them, not to mention now I can afford some of the old rigs I used to want. I'm working on setting up my new station AND my bench so I can restore and play with both old radios and the new digital modes and now I'll likely get interested in this.

If you're just into chasing DX or ragchewing or contesting on HF, this doesn't hurt you. More options and more things of interest to others, whether you're interested or not, are very good things.

KK4HPY likes this.
  9. WD4IGX

These guys should get a job with the FAA. We pilots have a saying that the unofficial mission statement of the FAA is "We're not happy until YOU'RE not happy!" Or sometimes, "We refuse to lower our standards, so UP yours!" :D

SA1CKE and KD2ACO like this.
  10. WD4IGX

They almost certainly won't - and that's part of the beauty and interest of it!

KD4PI likes this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am well aware of that. However, the convention is that if the news applies to US--as it does here-- then use our system.

I am NOT a global citizen.

It's just stupid to call 2,200 meters 2.200 meters. Period.

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I disagree.

Some of use don't want to write code (for example); some of use don't want to build from scratch.

Elecraft would do well to get out a high quality kit... so devoted to the new band(s).

WU8Y likes this.
  13. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Riiigggghhhhhtttt... you "meant to do that"

N7ANN, N8UMW and WD4IGX like this.
  14. WD4IGX

Well that's fine. There's more than adequate band space for all kinds of appliance operating. I'd like a tinker area. Kits I'm totally in favor of.

W1YW likes this.
  15. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So it'd be the 2,067 and 7,218 foot bands ?

WD4IGX and KK5JY like this.