ad: k1jek

NEW 2 Bands in USA: 630meters (472-479 kHz) and 2200 meters (135.7-137.8 kHz )

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IW2BSF, Mar 31, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KD2ACO

KD2ACO QRZ Lifetime Member #174 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I want to see Jeff NH7RO design an STL for 630m. :p
    Actually, with the kinds of antennae amateurs could put up for 630 and down, 5 watts EIRP would be a feat of engineering and construction!

2. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

OH BUT I DO....HOWEVER, I AM SATISFIED WITH THE PRESENT BANDS AND WORKING IN THE HOTEL BUSINESS DOESN'T LEAVE A LOT OF TIME FOR BUILDING AND TRYING SOMETHING NEW...BUT I DID TRY SOMETHING NEW AS IN HF MOBILIZING DIGITAL,CW,SSB AND AM FROM THE CAR.

3. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fair enough,. But why complain about something that you have no interest in?

KK4HPY and WD4IGX like this.
  4. KD2ACO

KD2ACO QRZ Lifetime Member #174 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Some people aren't having fun unless they aren't having fun!

KD8YQC, N8UMW and KD2BRM like this.
  5. SA1CKE

SA1CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The 2200m band will be great for those living in the boondocks. In the winter you can hook up to the electric fence the local farmer has - or put up your own.

K1BQY likes this.
  6. KK6FR

KK6FR Ham Member QRZ Page

I bet Yaesu, Icom, Kenwood, and Cushcraft will get right on it...:rolleyes:

7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Finally a band without almost 750K "hams" screaming away with a complete credit card station.

Ive been heard in the UK, Sweden and CA with 5W and one of the many experimental licenses that were issued, this was all on CW and not one of the digital modes which offers a 20-25dB advantage; 630M has already been authorized by many countries.

Several beacons have been heard on 2200M

That is no loss and thanks for the big favor.

KE5OFJ, KK4HPY, WD4IGX and 1 other person like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

We already have substantial privileges on the 2.2 meter band. Why this 'news' on the 2.2 meter band?

9. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Our last station utilized a Valcom 75' tall vertical that was decommissioned from a Non-Directional Beacon at a Canadian Airport. The antenna was tuned for 400KHz or so. We had modified it to JUMPER over the section that had the big coil in it and it put it right on 80 meters with a 500pF cap in series and a coil and cap on 160. We had that antenna up without the jumper engaged for a while and the radio we had at that time tuned all the way down to next to nothing, I could even hear WWVB on 60 Hz... That was pretty exciting. I could tune all over the country listening to NDB's back then... Became a fun hobby in itself.

I could shoot my EX now as when we divorced IT had it chopped up... That thing while a LITTLE TALL my tape measure says 60' over and over and would have barked well on 472 Khz with a small tuner...

10. K0DD

K0DD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Build a small transvertor. Instead of going up, you go down. Would work good and not be very expensive.

11. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

On what 2.2 meter band? The person who posted that was obviously a bit mixed up.

The new band is at 2200M or 2.2 km, take your pick

12. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Not enough volume/money for the Japs and Elecraft already covers 630M.

Kenwood has repeatedly refused to answer questions about opening that range for TX in their equipment so that some milliwatt level signal is available at the transverter port. Maybe they might rethink it now that the band is authorized and it might be as simple as clipping a diode or two as it is for full 1,5 to 30 mHz TX on many of their rigs.

Maybe an enterprising Chinese ham will introduce a transverter for under $100 for either band.

Carl

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Duh.

Might be helpful if they checked their typing before posting. That was the point.

They gave 2.200 meters.

14. WA1ZMS

WA1ZMS Ham Member QRZ Page

FWIW....

Chip- The OP is from Europe. The period (.) and the comma (,) are reversed from what we Americans use. Drove me nuts when I worked for Ericsson back in the 90's. hi...hi...

WU8Y and N8UMW like this.
  15. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Since when is N2MDA in Europe. OTOH the EU's got it right:D