ad: MLSons-1

NCVEC Files No-Code Petition

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

The Morse code requirement is only the tip of the iceberg. This guy who calls himself "cbbasher" exemplifies the problem with american amateur radio: You will do everything I say, you will like everything I like (as far as aspects of amateur radio) and you will dislike everything that I don't like. If you don't you: Aren't a real ham, you are lazy, you are going to ruin a great institution, you are only skimming the cream of the hobby (service), shut up and go away.
    Only by kicking in the front door (code requirement) will there ever be the hope of relegating these dummies to the position they belong.......irrelivent.
    KC7JTY

2. KB9OJS

KB9OJS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ke4pjw @ July 31 2003,11:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kb9ojs @ July 30 2003,11:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Again, Laziness and stupidity prevail over pride and virtue.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Nothing succeeds like success [​IMG]

BTW: Being raised Southern Baptist, I was always taught that pride is a sin.

I'm not picking on your post in particular, just commenting on those sentiments in general.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    oh well, crap happens. I am a Lutheran and I should have thought about what I wrote before I posted it.

Just making a point that people who cry and moan about the 5 wpm are dumb and lazy. I have extreme hearing loss from inner ear infections as a child and I still passed the code with a solid copy.

I guess when the code is eliminated, eveybody will cry about how hard the written tests are.  [​IMG]

73's de KB9OJS, Amateur Extra Class

3. K8ARN

K8ARN QRZ Member QRZ Page

Dropping the element 1 requirement is a mistake I think.
    Hams say that the bands will turn into 11 mtrs, but wait
    isnt 75/80 mtrs already like 11mtrs. Is this  what the rest of the bands will be like if the drop the code.  Why should I spend big $ on equipment when I will be able to hear the same thing on a $50 CB. Whats going to happen when an emergency arises and the only mode
    avalible is CW and nobody knows how to send or recieve.
    Who then is goin to up a creek with out a paddle..not me
    because I took the time to LEARN

4. tomahawk1

tomahawk1 Banned

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kc7jty @ July 31 2003,14:38)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The Morse code requirement is only the tip of the iceberg. This guy who calls himself "cbbasher"  exemplifies the problem with american amateur radio: You will do everything I say, you will like everything I like (as far as aspects of amateur radio) and you will dislike everything that I don't like. If you don't you: Aren't a real ham, you are lazy, you are going to ruin a great institution, you are only skimming the cream of the hobby (service), shut up and go away.
      Only by kicking in the front door (code requirement) will there ever be the hope of relegating these dummies to the position they belong.......irrelivent.
                                                KC7JTY[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You sound like the same gutter trash that took control of Germany from 1933-1945. That's right! Kick in the door! Show em who's boss. We're gonna storm ham radio and take it over. We're gonna do it OUR way! Nice attitude, there Bud. I looked up your callsign. Another Technician class who wants HF privileges without working for it. Another welfare radio maggot. Another CB'er… Whoops! I mean freebander, who wants more free radio. It is you and your kind that want to drag the ham bands through the same mud that you dragged 11 meter CB through.

5. K2PG

K2PG Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (k8arn @ July 30 2003,18:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What's going to happen when an emergency arises and the only mode
    available is CW and nobody knows how to send or recieve.
    Who then is goin to up a creek with out a paddle..not me
    because I took the time to LEARN.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    By the way, did you remember to put on clean underwear today? What if you get hit by a car and the EMTs see those dirty underwear from yesterday? It's the same kind of ridiculous argument that I have heard for decades concerning CW. In nearly 35 years on the air, I have never heard any significant emergency traffic on CW. And I don't think very many people are going to cobble a CW rig together from parts scrounged from old TV sets when the big one hits, as many of the plug-and-play ricebox types can barely change a light bulb! None of the major amateur radio magazines in this country carry any articles that could teach people the technical side of amateur radio anymore. CQ is the Appliance Operator's Journal, while QST is entirely devoted to nauseating human interest crap and product reviews of the latest expensive new toys from Japan. 73 Magazine is fine if you like long, rambling editorials from a guy who should probably be in a home where he isn't allowed to handle sharp objects or hot liquids. But there is little or nothing to educate the ham or prospective ham who is truly interested in radio and electronics. Memorizing a list of questions from a license manual doesn't train anyone in the radio art, either. Perhaps we should concentrate on beefing up the THEORY part of the exams. It might be a good idea for the FCC to take over the administration of exams once again, while prohibiting the release of any exam material to any third party. Get rid of the rote memorization and we should be able to improve the calibre of the American amateur radio operator. The United Kingdom, which has recently abolished its Morse requirement, could serve as an example of what we should be able to do here. Most U.S. Extras probably could not pass the British Intermediate Level exam (with the license roughly equivalent to our General Class in operating privileges), as you have to prove that you really know something about radio in order to pass the exam.

You took the time to LEARN the code. So did I. Big deal! When I passed my Extra in 1976, I had to copy the code at 20 WPM. So what? That and $2 will get me a ride on the New York City subway system.

CW is a fine mode for casual communication. But it is going the way of button shoes and buggy whips. And it certainly does not deserve the exalted position that it enjoys in amateur radio.

6. K2PG

K2PG Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KG4OOA @ July 30 2003,02:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What am I going to do. I guess my only operating will be CW and maybe  I will get into MARS. Maybe they can keep order on thir frequencies. I know one thing for sure![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Ah yes, the newbie with the KG4 2x3 callsign who knows it all! In case you haven't read up on things, the MARS program dropped CW in 1996, in keeping with Department of Defense policy. CW is actually prohibited on the nets in all three MARS services.

7. n9rov

n9rov Ham Member QRZ Page

Any hobby seems to have the ability to create ego's and false sense of how the world views the efforts of ego and the hobbist... How many soccer mom's or baseball dad's do we know?... The HAM hobby does bend the image towards the side of importance, everyone is always willing to point out the reliance of the HAM community in extreme cases of emrgency and the public service offered while providing communications for special events... That's all well and fine... But it is a hobby.
    I realize the importance of testing, in proving your knowlege of the rules of proper conduct while transmitting and the impact that the equipment that you are using can have concerning safety and the co-existance with fellow hobbists and the surrounding licensed users on the comercial and government bands.
    The tiered CW requirement was put in place because some hobbists thought that because they were more affluent in thier communications that they should not have to be burrdened by the users that fell short of thier expectations. Ego's!
    LID... Living In Digital

CW is nice, there is some nicely allocated space to avoid being stepped on, of course pulling the code out of the noise is half the fun... maybe the LID's will make life more interesting! Hobbies are supposed to be fun, not full of tight lipped, sharp tounged brow beaters!

It's a HOBBY. It's a DYING HOBBY.

My days are spent in the microwave world of engineering, HF ~ UHF are way in the back of my mind. I will NEVER make the time to learn CW, I cannot apply it to my job, I cannot apply it to my home life. I don't think I will EVER have a need to use CW but if I do, I also own a computer, it can learn CW for me!
    But do you know what... If the CW requirement went away you might just run into me amongs those LID's and find out that YOU have been missing out on my friendship. [​IMG]

-Brian

8. KC2FTU

KC2FTU Ham Member QRZ Page

[just wanted to add me two cents in .
    i love the radio,the contacks.
    i think the code is really cool,but some of us just can't get it ,i have try for 3 years now( with clubs ,tapes ,mfj tuter.)i aslo beleive in a good test for the ham bands ,
    but why do you need the code to use voice?.
    ???

9. Guest

Guest Guest

"My computer can learn CW for me"

Jeesh, what an silly statement. Was this a joke or something? Maybe your computer can do your job for you as well? Then it can automatically deposit your pay into it's...um...your checking account. You know, why must you wipe your own butt when your computer can......

Well, I hope you love the little matrix you and your fellow youngin's are making for yourselves.

Art

10. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (W7WIK @ July 31 2003,11:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">How can people say that CW is is an obsolete mode when it's being used 24-7 on every band that's open. Many times, I've tuned across the bands and there might be a few SSB QSO's in progress and when I tune down the the CW sub-band, there are (9 times out of ten) many more CW QSO's in progress than SSB. How can this mode be obsolete when so many people are still using it? Just because it's the mode that's been around the longest doesn't mean it's obsolete! Things change all the time - it's part of life and we have to evolve, but change for the sake of change doesn't make sense at all.

If you think that you're being excluded from HF because of CW - think again. YOU'RE EXCLUDING YOURSELF from HF through laziness and using CW as an excuse... plain and simple.

The greedy, instant gratification mentality people have these days is doing a lot of harm. Look at our schools - high school students are graduating who can't read or do math because parents can't bear the thought of little Johny flunking a grade! Over 60 percent of the American population is obese, mostly because of instant gratification (fast) food, oversize restaurant meals and too lazy to go out and get some exercise. Don't you see what's going on here?

As far as CW testing being a "burden" to applicants... isn't a test SUPPOSED to be a burden? A burden of proof that a person has the required skill being tested? Get real.

The only burden to VE's is a tape recorder with earphones and some paper and pencils.

This W5YI petition to drop the code is nothing but an attempt to make more money for the W5YI organization through increased sales of ham radio test preparation materials. They seem to think that thousands more will rush to the hobby of CW is eliminated - maybe so. Their petition is nothing but corporate greed.

I'm all for a compromise (see my previous post), but this total elimination of the code requirement doesn't make sense.

Marco, W7WIK[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Let the conregation say AMEN!!! [​IMG]

11. WD5KCA

WD5KCA Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ke4pjw @ July 31 2003,11:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kb9ojs @ July 30 2003,11:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Again, Laziness and stupidity prevail over pride and virtue.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Nothing succeeds like success [​IMG]

BTW: Being raised Southern Baptist, I was always taught that pride is a sin.

I'm not picking on your post in particular, just commenting on those sentiments in general.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    So is sloth

So we have code supporters (pride)
    No coders (sloth)
    We are all going to Hell.
    QED [​IMG]

I will now slip into my flame retardant clothing.

12. KE4PJW

KE4PJW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (wd5kca @ July 30 2003,17:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So is sloth

No coders (sloth)
    QED [​IMG]

I will now slip into my flame retardant clothing.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    And I'm drivin' the bus! Who wants to go with me! Hehehe [​IMG]

13. Guest

Guest Guest

FLASH: The French weigh in on WRC-03...              

We don't waaaana learn morse code!

14. tomahawk1

tomahawk1 Banned

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ke4pjw @ July 31 2003,16:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (wd5kca @ July 30 2003,17:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So is sloth

No coders (sloth)
    QED [​IMG]

I will now slip into my flame retardant clothing.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    And I'm drivin' the bus! Who wants to go with me! Hehehe [​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I do. I'm sure the bus would be faster than a hand basket, anyway. [​IMG]

15. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KC0QAG @ July 30 2003,16:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am a no-code tech and am personally looking forward to learning CW and passing the 5-WPM test.  Like many on here, I do not want to be "given" anything, I want to earn it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Why do you have to pass a test to prove that you earned something?  Seems to me that successfully using code on the air and improving your speed is earning the privilege more than just showing a few VEs that you can copy code.  Passing the test doesn't guarantee that you can use it, but USING it does!

I can't imagine how passing the test could be more gratifying than having your first CW QSO at any speed, and you don't need to take a test for that one...it IS the test!

It is right to focus your efforts on learning the code, but not just in order to pass the license exam.  That is not a good enough reason.

I think the NCVEC realizes that, and perhaps that demonstrates some wisdom on their part.

- Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.