ad: TinyPaddle-1

"NCIS Newington" on Ham Radio Now (not click bait, but close)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Nov 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. 2E0CPX

2E0CPX Ham Member QRZ Page

He wasn't a ham though was he? Didn't actually work for some Government Agency?

2. KC8YXA

KC8YXA Ham Member QRZ Page

I hate to bother ya but I need to know over your left shoulder on the top shelf there are 2 mobile radios I have been trying to remember what they are could you please tell me>I'm going nuts,my brain is at an end.....I need to know....

3. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

ICOM 38A (I think) 220 MHz, not 2 meters.

4. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

The Ham they got the Ft 101 from was portrayed as weird.
    Hawkins who tuned the FT101 to the cw reports of course was not a ham ;)

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham radio is not viewed favorably with most of my customer base. The ones that do view it favorably are hams.

Blaming NCIS for the stereotype is ignoring what brought on the stereotype in the first place.

MY "dork machine" is ready...

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Tim Allen was a convicted drug dealer.

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

8. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

And?

9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Is hardly a role model as such. Yet he is summarly alluded to.

WHY?

10. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Because he's relevant to the discussion of ham radio portrayal on TV. I don't think I said anything about him being a role model (or not).

Then again, which role models would you rather have... the kind like Allen, who 'fessed up to what he did, cooperated with authorities, did his time, and then went straight for the rest of his life? Or the kind that currently fill the halls of DC and Hollywood, where they continue to live the crooked life at the expense of the rest of us?

Last time I checked, there aren't a lot of other choices.

K7JEM likes this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Tim Allen should not be on anyone's role model for hams. He is a convicted felon.

He also obviously worked hard to fight recitivism and is a damn good actor. But these do not make him a ham radio role model.

The fact that there aren't any choices doesn't mean you go with the convicted felon.

12. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think anyone is saying he is a role model. But he is a good comedian and a ham who made mistakes long before he was an actor or a ham.

As far as I know, he has not been in trouble with the law since then. And that is a good thing.

13. KM3F

KM3F Ham Member QRZ Page

Gary, can I recommend you keep your head still when talking into a mike on camera?
    It's excessive and can cause sea sickness to the viewer. Hi hi.
    Look at your programs and see if maybe you might agree.
    I see on a lot of Internet videos the camera is moved excessively and a bit wildly such that there is no time to find the intended subject matter.
    Just suggesting improvements.
    Good luck.

14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Thinking is nice. Facts are facts however.

In the January 2018 QST, ARRL CEO Ny2RF, Tom Gallagher--SPECIFICALLY CITES TIM ALLEN AS A ROLE MODEL for portrayal of ham radio operators in the television medium--and uses that ROLE MODEL to show how (allegedly)INSULTING the NCIS portrayal was in contrast.

Yes, Tim Allen was being cited as a role model.

So--we should use a convicted drug dealer as a CORRECTIVE EXAMPLE of what TV should be???

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  15. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a link to what I found. Can you point out the "role model" claim? I don't see it.

There is a mention of Tim Allen, but only because he is the star of the show, and a ham. And that the ARRL had some input there, but not on NCIS.

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/QST/This Month in QST/January2018/2018 PAGE 9.pdf