ad: Schulman-1

"NCIS Newington" on Ham Radio Now (not click bait, but close)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Nov 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

This guy was a weirdo even by ham radio standards. But weirdos do exist.

It's just TV, which is mostly far from reality in most of the shows being broadcast. Good clean fun for everyone.

The guy was a weirdo because the script called for him being a weirdo, that's all. What I have observed in watching TV dramas is that most people that are the subjects of a police procedural are not portrayed in a good light, except the main characters. Lawyers are scum, doctors are arrogant, professors are haughty, blue collar workers are stupid, religious people are hypocrites, tech types are nerdy, bankers and stock brokers are greedy, bartenders are seedy, motorcyclists are criminals, kids are promiscuous, sports figures are untrustworthy, etc.

KG5THG, KN6Q and K4AAQ like this.
  2. KD3WB

KD3WB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ironically, they may have used ham radio instead of CB, thinking that it is the more obscure of the two and hoping to pique viewer interest. Still better than nothing.

Ben

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  3. KA5RIO

KA5RIO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes,I would agree the part I saw, Put Ham radio in a good light but the rest of the show on Ham radio was pretty much poop poop.

4. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

SPOT ON Dale! 7.200 sure has become an "entertaining place" for the sick and afflicted. Pretty much the same as response to this post where folks seem to be so concerned about A HOBBY that the masses even know exist. People worry about putting A HOBBY in "a good light" in a time when ARES/RACES groups can't get "scratch" to maintain enough operators for organized emergency preparedness and public service events.

5. KN6Q

KN6Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Bingo. I saw a lot of online outrage the next day after the episode aired. But it was over-exaggerated stereotype, like on every other stereotype depicted on a fictional TV show.

How are "Jocks" depicted? Are they smart?

How about online gamers? Computer Geeks in general?

As far as the ham technical inaccuracies, come on. It's a "police" show, do you really think the way they depict fingerprint searches with each one showing up at a time on screen to see if it's a match is how it really works in real life?

6. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I did not watch the show, nor do I generally watch that series. I am not at all surprised to hear that ham radio was mangled on a broadcast TV show. Broadcast TV is, with a few exceptions, mindless and idiotic. That’s what people want, and that’s what delivers eyes to the advertisers. For now.

AF7EC likes this.
  7. KB2MXV

KB2MXV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

after watching the NCIS episode, I was so embarrassed, I had to go outside and rip down my antennas !!

8. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What a GREAT EYE-OPENER TO HOLLYWOOD'S "SCREWING UP OF HAM RADIO"!!!
    FIRST OFF YES WHEN YOU WOULD GIVE UR NAME YOU WOULD SAY:"MY HANDLE IS (YOUR NAME) BUT WITH THE ADVENT OF "UGH" CB IT WAS CHANGED TO "NAME"!!! SECONDLY IN THE VIDEO THEY PRODUCED A "PAPER-WRITTEN" LOG??? WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME ANYBODY OUT HERE'S DONE THAT??? NOPE!!! EITHER A "NOTEPAD" (THROW AWAY) OR LOGGING VIA A INTERNET LOGGING PROGRAM!!!
    BUT "HAM RADIO NOW HAS MY ATTENTION" AS IT'S REVELANT!!!

9. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

Some people who watch NCIS may at least wonder about ham and go and look it up. Right now there are many current news articles about ham and the recent natural disasters that have happened this year and the role it has played. So it's a good time for someone to do a search on the subject. Who knows. This episode could have hooked one or two.

10. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully not the ones who have to "put their clothes on" when the doorbell rings, or the ones who have to wear a camera on their belly to talk to real people.

11. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

lol. Very true!

12. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

13. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

That ' Jericho ' series did indeed portray the local ham as weird.
    However that fascinating but disturbing series ironically appears even more relevant
    in today's World :( Co star ' Hawkins ' tuning in cw reports of various nuked cities on an FT101 was realistic.

G3SEA/KH6

14. 2E0CPX

2E0CPX Ham Member QRZ Page

Tbh I have grown tired of NCIS, did start to follow it's NCIS New Orleans offshoot for a while, the thing is to remember NCIS is just an entertainment show, it is no more real life than Bates Motel. NCIS is full of errors, one episode that hacked me off was one where there was a British MI6 agent masquerading as a Royal Marine officer, they got the uniform wrong for a start, Royal Marines don't wear British Army number 2's they wear Lovats plus they wear the Green beret not the abysmal hat they made the actor wear. Likewise, the Royal Navy has totally different working uniforms when at sea to what was portrayed.

Hollywood always gets things wrong ;)

KG5THG likes this.
  15. 2E0CPX

2E0CPX Ham Member QRZ Page

Heres the difference between Royal Marines and British Army uniforms

Attached Files: