ad: ARR

myARRLvoice formed to question ARRL Code of Conduct, Board Proposals

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KN4AQ, Jan 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you sure about that? Did you read the proposed by-laws, specifically Article 35:

upload_2018-1-11_9-8-5.png

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That is just cleanup of the text. Look at the section where votes are granted. He isn't in it. Only the President and VPs.

Took me a minute to find it. Here is the text of the relevant section by Lisenco motion (my underlining):

Moved, that By-Law 15 of the ARRL By-Laws be amended to read as follows:

15. The President and the Vice Presidents shall possess all of the rights and duties of directors save the right to vote for the positions of President and Vice-President. The Treasurer shall possess all of the rights and duties of directors save the right to vote and the right to participate in the call of a special meeting of the Board, as referred to in Article 4 of the Articles of Association​

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    AF6SA likes this.
  3. N2SUB

N2SUB Ham Member QRZ Page

So then, that's even worse. The President and Vice-President are voting members (unless the vote is for the positions of president and vice-president). The same problem exists, if I'm reading this correctly. There are 2 members of the Executive Committee with voting rights on the board, and they will be voting in the best interests of the ARRL in the opinion of the Executive committee (which includes the CEO). Appendix B now says that all of the elected directors must also vote in the best interests of the ARRL, and not themselves or their constituency, or risk sanctions or removal. So by the letter of the law, if the changes are passed, all of the elected members must now vote the same as the executive committee.

I'm not a lawyer, which I why I've posted the actual document twice before and will do so again. I, like you, want to understand fully what is going on, so if I misstated anything I certainly want to get it right. Is my understanding correct in your opinion?

Here's what I'm working from: http://www.b4h.net/ARRL_2018_Jan_Redline_BOD.pdf

4. KU8Q

KU8Q XML Subscriber QRZ Page

5. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Look at the "He" "He" "His" so much, in the proposed language of the By-laws.
    You would think, that by 2018, someone at ARRL BOD might utilize a modern non-sexist style guide for corporate By-Laws and minutes.
    Gender inclusive language in corporate minutes and corporate documents has been in use in modern corporate entities for at least 25 years now.
    I know this because as a Secretary of Corporation and sitting on Board of Directors for corporations in Silicon Valley, our attorneys advised us to use gender neutral or gender inclusive language, as far back as 1995. (probably so we wouldn't get sued)
    But, no. ARRL BOD thinks they are a good ole boys club.
    That attitude is exactly the kind of thing that really turns off young people (younger than 40 years old) to ham radio, and especially turns them off to ARRL.
    That is just one of the many valid reasons young hams don't join ARRL.

And yes, I'm familiar with the old practice of "He" supposedly being a generic substitute. Those days are over, though, and the "generic He" has been relegated to the junk heap of history. That ended in the 20th century. So, don't bother mansplaining to me about it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    N0TZU and KU8Q like this.
  6. KU8Q

Guess many of us are on the same page over these latest proposal to cloak even more actions by the ARRL board.
    For many years, I have believed ARRL operated the same as a man kissing a girl in the dark. "You know what you are doing, but nobody else does." We talk about attracting "youth" to amateur radio, one would think that more youthful members on the board of directors is also a necessity to replace the old farts and their attempt at safeguarding their seats. When I say "youth," I'm talking about the 25-35 year olds who would bring a new way of thinking to the board, and many who of them have children of their own that they can stimulate to join the Amateur Radio Fraternity and carry on after us old farts are in the grave. There has been a lot of board "hanky-panky" carried on over the last couple of years and it needs to STOP right now. If they vote to pass the proposed "new" board rules, to protect their "good ole boys club," I shall not renew when my membership comes due again, this year. The celebrated Hiram Percy Maxim is rolling over in his grave.

KQ6XA likes this.
  7. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

;)
    Oh boy.

WD4ED, KD5COL, KI7HSB and 2 others like this.
  8. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no "issue". This is all about dues increases and nothing more. All this ARRL hate is coming from people that think gasoline should be $0.18/gal like it was in the early 60's. They still want a Pepsi for $0.05. That's all this is about. It all boils down to this... If you don't like the way the ARRL is run, take your Baofeng and go play radio somewhere else. Don't try to spoil it for the rest of us. It is my belief that the ARRL is doing an outstanding job. I will continue to support this worthy organization. The ARRL has done so much good for ham radio that I don't mind the dues increases. I have read the rest of the proposed changes and they are absolutely necessary. There is not a corporation in the free world that does not have the right to censure or terminate an employee for misconduct. It makes no sense to me to even begin to think that the ARRL should not have this right too. That's like saying that a priest should not have the right to defrock a priest for child molestation. It is painfully obvious that there are a lot of people here pointing their finger at the ARRL who have no idea how to run a corporation.

WU8Y likes this.
  9. KU8Q

10. KU8Q

Oh, I think enough "stink" has been raised, that this will be tabled at the meeting. At least until the mole, that let the cat out of the bag, is identified, located and most likely dealt with in the usual ARRL manner. Although all he did was alert us to happenings that we otherwise would not have seen, in detail, until after the vote, he is viewed as a traitor to his peers and the leadership (?) of ARRL.

W3JY, KQ6XA and KB4QAA like this.