ad: Momobeam-1

Most Used Frequencies for Summits on the Air Activations

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NJ7V, Feb 26, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
  1. N1RBD

N1RBD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you the guy Doug sent the email out about? I may tag along.

2. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Most SOTA chaser's watch the spots on the SOTA web page to see what freq. they are using ! no matter what band ! or mode ! Phil KI6PMD ..

NJ7V, K9EZ and AJ6KZ like this.
  3. NJ7V

NJ7V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah that must be me :). Great! Come along.

4. NJ7V

Yes. True! The listing was more for the benefit of the activators.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  5. NJ7V

It's always been permitted to drive to the top of a summit. We used to hike out of the activation zone with our gear and then back in, after we had parked our vehicle, but that requirement has long since been removed. Straight from the rules it reads:

"Summits that are accessible by road can still be included in the programme, although operation from within vehicles or the near vicinity of activator’s vehicles is not permitted."
    "Operations must not be in, or in the close vicinity of, a motor vehicle. No part of the station may be connected in any way with the motor vehicle..."

This piece can be misleading because it implies what you are suggesting "...However, the use of a bike (non-motorized) or animals to enter the Activation Zone is permitted."

But this part was removed: “The method of final access to the Summit must be non-motorised”

I was a little unsure myself a while back, so I emailed one the the guys in charge and he confirmed that the rule was removed and drive-ups are permissible so long as you follow the other rules that are still in place regarding not using your vehicle once on top.

I would just add that few "eligible" peaks are like this. Almost all require some sort of hike. It's a nice reprieve to occasionally activate one of the drive-ups.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    AJ6KZ likes this.
  6. W7MDN

W7MDN Ham Member QRZ Page

That looks awesome. I'd bring a lawn chair and a cooler and make a day of it. What a cool view.

NJ7V likes this.
  7. K7AEM

K7AEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Harquahala is an amazing peak, I'm leading a jeep club back up there next month. I was amazed to find it was a SOTA peak. Yesterday I spent 8 hours activating a summit that was less than 7 miles round trip. Sheer verticality and bushwhacking is so often the name of the game in this sport. If we find the occasional Harquahala along the way, take it!

NJ7V likes this.
  8. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks!

We didn't linger too long. It was a nice day and the parking lot was full. Plus, one of our party isn't a ham, so we didn't want to bore him to tears. Once we were done, we returned to our base camp at the next summit over (Flagpole Knob), had some food, then took our 4x4s down the other side of that summit. Great weekend, two summits at 10 points each, camping, 4x4s, plenty of action on HF and 2m, and great food. We're going back in April.

Chris

9. W7MDN

W7MDN Ham Member QRZ Page

That sounds like a fun weekend. Only things missing are beer and guns.

10. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

:cool:;)

Chris