ad: cq2k-1

Morse is History

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KQ6XA, Aug 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W4FFZ

W4FFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I must vehemently disagree with the notion that abolishing morse is a good idea. Keeping morse as a gateway to some additional priviledges is essential. The idea that merely making the tests harder will 'keep out undesirable people" is dreck. And the idea that element one was a 'Talent' test is also dreck.
    Element one didnt prove talent....it proved DEDICATION! Only those dedicated to the goal of HF will do what it takes to master morse. If I wasn't interested in HF, I would have stopped at technician. I WANTED HF, so I mastered morse. I personally think that if we eliminate morse requirements totally, the hobby will suffer. Morse enthusiasts will always be out there. I don't doubt that morse will survive. BUT. We must keep a skill test in the licensing process. And CW is the CORE of all we do....it is by virtue of being the simplest type of radio to build. It works when all other modes fail.
    I'm in the Navy, and am big on tradition. Is morse a tradition? Sure, in some respects. And I can tell you this....when an organization abandon traditions in favor of gee whiz high tech, the organization ALWAYS suffers. Dont get me wrong...I like high tech...echolink, psk31, pactor, amtor, IRLP etc etc etc....all nifty cool and neat. BUT. The thing that, in my mind at least, signifies a true master of the hobby is the guy that can bang out code.
    KEEP THE CODE!
    -.- .. ....- -... -... -.-

2. N8UZE

N8UZE Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AE6IP @ Aug. 28 2003,17:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">You can't make someone interested in something by forcing them to pass a test in it. If they weren't interested in the first place, then all you can do is make them resent it.

If the only thing keeping Morse alive were a test requirement, than we would hear no Morse on the air. People would study it well enough to pass the test and then never touch it again.

It is a good thing that there are plenty of reasons that people will stay with Morse code. Morse is a pleasure for many of us, and we who enjoy it will keep it alive, whether others are required to take a test or not.

Marty AE6IP[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I've known several people who did not like the code when they first started learning it. However as they became able to use it they changed their minds. They freely admitted that they would not have studied it if they did not have to for the license. Later they were glad they had been required to learn this skill and it became one of their favorite operating modes.

How many great CW ops will we never see because they were not required to gain some minimal skill level at the beginning and thus never tackled it on their own?

I do believe that Morse will continue to flourish either way but we will end up missing some potentially great operators. I will do what I can to actively encourage people to explore this mode.

3. W4FFZ

W4FFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Mostly it's used as a hazing tool by older hams and makes people in my (younger) generation think that hams do nothing all day but send morse. No wonder us younger folk view our hobby as ancient. Every time I tell someone I'm a radio operator I get the ol' "Oh you mean you do that morse stuff..." Perceptions are everything....
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    HAZING TOOL? WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT IS HE TALKING ABOUT?
    As far as k5XORs TCP/IP test questions...and his experience as a 'network engineer'....I ain't a big fan of the internet crowd....mostly like CBers....about the only disciplined group is the hams....they at least usually understand how the internet works...and they can do morse TOO.

4. N8UZE

N8UZE Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kc0nar @ Aug. 28 2003,18:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I am not going to open the door on if I approve/disapprove the dropping of the code.  What I dont like is the holier-than-thou attitudes from some hams.Like I am XX years old and can copy XX wpm. Dont forget the "if i can do it anyone can" phrase.Im glad you got your code skill down, however it is not as easy for all of us.  I am 28 and have been trying for 2 and a half years now, close but just cant quite get it. It just seems to me that if the "big guns" of HF are going to look down on us who are struggling, it really takes away a lot of the drive.                        73 KC0NAR      P.S. I will still get Element 1 passed....sometime.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The problems with learning code are almost always attributable to incorrect training methods. If you wish to email me, I would be happy to provide references and on-going advice as to how to learn the code, not only so that you can pass the test but so that it is a useful and fun skill.

No talent is required to achieve a useful level of ability. Talent is only required for someone who wants to try to set a world record.

It's like anything else. Barring accident or significant disability, all of us can walk (i.e. useful skill) but only a handful will be able to run a 4 minute mile or better (i.e. special ability).

5. K7XOR

K7XOR Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Simtechiii @ Aug. 29 2003,07:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ki4bbk @ Aug. 29 2003,06:40)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Mostly it's used as a hazing tool by older hams and makes people in my (younger) generation think that hams do nothing all day but send morse. No wonder us younger folk view our hobby as ancient. Every time I tell someone I'm a radio operator I get the ol' "Oh you mean you do that morse stuff..." Perceptions are everything....
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    HAZING TOOL? WHISKEY TANGO FOXTROT IS HE TALKING ABOUT?  
    As far as k5XORs TCP/IP test questions...and his experience as a 'network engineer'....I ain't a big fan of the internet crowd....mostly like CBers....about the only disciplined group is the hams....they at least usually understand how the internet works...and they can do morse TOO.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    He has no idea what hazing is! Send him over this way - I've got some liver...

Let's stand him against the wall and throw dits and dahs at him. Hazing? He's dreaming.

Steven / KG6JEV/4[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If you're following tradition for tradition's sake then you're hazing. Dictionary.com has one definition:

Hazing: "To harass by exacting unnecessary, disagreeable, or difficult work."

I've passed my code test at the very easy 5WPM and have never had a CW contact and don't intend to. I simply don't like the mode but that doesn't mean I don't mind if others use it. There are simply better ways to seek quality radio operators other than having them memorize *one* mode on the ham bands. At the rate this hobby is going everyone is going to be doing CW to their graves and taking Amateur Radio with it.

It doesn't really matter what arguments are made here anyway. The rest of the planet is doing away with CW as a requirement (thankfully) and the US will soon follow. I for one look forward to the new operators it will bring to the hobby.

6. W6TH

W6TH Guest

K5XOR

QUOTE:
    I for one look forward to the new operators it will bring to the hobby.
    QUOTE:

YUP, me also.

7. W6TH

W6TH Guest

Have any noticed that the hams  you find on the ham bands today are the hams that got tired of reading QRZ.COM and the slander and garbage. They, those, that are on ham bands now have gotten back their life.

Those that are on QRZ.COM are trying to dumb down CW and chase away any new comers to ham radio, far, far away.

I wonder what it would be like to tune in on QRZ.COM and get a few words of wisdom.  Not likely.

Just my $1.00's worth.

How many have I just torched?

-------- ------------ ----------- ---------- ----

8. m3stt

m3stt Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Simtechiii @ Aug. 29 2003,07:29)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (m3stt @ Aug. 29 2003,06:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Well siad that Lady, trust the testosterone to rear its ugly head and spoil a perfect discussion![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Nobody forced her to make the statements she made. If she's going to make controversial statements, then she bloody well better expect the comments she receives. Do you sincerely believe that she made those comments expecting everyone to come in here and kiss her behind? Get real.

Oh yeah, I've got LOTS of testosterone, baby.

Steven / KG6JEV/4[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I am 13 years old and not your baby. I also do not care for arrogant male sexists. You are the weakest link..........Goodbye! [​IMG]

9. N0ZB

N0ZB Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KQ6XA @ Aug. 27 2003,16:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Morse is History
    Morse is a wonderful part of radio's history. Let us honor it, with the respect it deserves, and no longer use it as a tool for oppression. [/b][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    A tool for opression?! You gotta be kidding!

If 5wpm morse testing is the greatest degree of oppression anyone faces in their life, what a blessing!

Don't take me seriously however. I speak from a 100% homebrew, 100%CW HF perspective.

10. K8YS

K8YS Guest

[​IMG]3--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kd5cir @ Aug. 28 2003,10[​IMG]3)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    KD5CIR/8

grow up.

With your attitude, WHY would anyone want to brefriend you?

I am sure you might find someone out there in Brown County, but I seriously doubt it.

11. KB9AX

KB9AX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

To KQ6XA

I think your post was purposely titled to invoke emotional responses and attract attention. It’s a shame that so many people seem to take the politicians method of finding a little truth and extrapolate it to infinity to attempt to prove their point. “Morse is History”, yep, along with SSB, RTTY and HF in general. I could go on and on, but I choose not to on this thread. Bear in mind I would welcome a new entry level license that would allow new hams to enjoy the many things HF communications still has to offer, even thought it has since been TOTALLY rendered obsolete and replaced by Satellite, Internet and other forms of communications for commercial use.

Many who are interested in Ham Radio as a HOBBY read this site. The mood our threads take sets the framework by witch they judge us. All those who post hear need to always keep this in mind. Usually, I only post when I can be helpful, but I made an exception in this case.

The Character of ham radio is what our testing needs to stress. I have made comments about this in other posts and I still believe this is what is missing in our current tests and publications. The problem with so many of the misinformed no-code posts is the way HISTORY is treated. It’s our history that contain the examples of our character. With so much lying as to what is obsolete and what isn’t its no wonder the new hams have a difficult time. The most important trait we are looking for in a new ham is responsibility. Responsibility to ensure his equipment is operating properly. Responsibility to act as required by regulation. Responsibility to treat others and their QSO’s with respect. Responsibility to respond in the event of an emergency. The responsibility to NOT misinform the less experienced. I am still very surprised that this post was allowed in the NEWS section of QRZ.com.

12. KA5S

KA5S Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KQ6XA @ Aug. 27 2003,16:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">no longer use it as a tool for oppression.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Oh, why not? Why not just turn it around? It's Payback Time, you know. Everyone else does that; it would be manifestly unfair to exempt no-coders from enjoying victory. I am sure some form of ostracism can be devised for anyone heard using CW.

Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus! De Oppresso Library! Ad Astra per Aspirin!

And (favored of law enforcement) Glaciate Vacuuo! ("Freeze, Sucker!")

( grin )

Cortland

13. W6TH

W6TH Guest

Bonnie, most do not think about the crossroads, but I do, so am going to send you a word of praise.

"A Praise for Bonnie".
    For your devotion to ham radio.

Praise : Smooth as a baby's butt ! Finer than frog hair split 3 ways!

Sincerely, W6th

14. W0AEW

W0AEW Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (w6th @ Aug. 28 2003,18:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">WA5OES
    QUOTE:
    Maybe the CW test could be replaced with a touch-typing test and the submission of a short essay that demonstrates the ability to produce evidence supported with logical argument.
    UNQUOTE:

This is what it really means:
    What does typing have to do with code, no brains.  What does logical argument have to do with electronic skills.  "This guy is a nut".
    Could add this also:It is a hobby with skills, anyone can type.
    "He is a double nut".

You sound like my old professor I had back in college.  Are you he as he was a nut.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I rest my case.

[​IMG]

15. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All you no-code types should all go to hell if the entrance exam (Code) is dropped.  

I see this ground swell of sentiment for the ones who cannot hack the code.  This "Only Fair" crap is going to make the HF frequencies sound like a CB band and all you whiners and sympathizers will have to live with it.  I have been told I am not "sensitive" to the feelings of others and they are probably correct.  I did not go for sensitivity training.

Code may be old and obsolete, but it is a standard that must be met.

BTW, I do not use code.  I say give the no-coders, 28.1-28.3 mhz and make CW the only allowed mode.  They get HF frequencies and will be forced to learn it to get other HF privledges.  Sounds like a good "sympathetic" deal to me.

K2WH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.