ad: UR5CDX-1

Morse is History

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KQ6XA, Aug 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. VA2VA

VA2VA Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KG6RBG @ Aug. 28 2003,19:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">One thing I have observed over the years is that some of the older Hams seem to take the "I got mine, so now you get yours" stance (an attitude not limited to Amateur Radio, by the way), and the implications of that line of thinking speaks volumes about the current mindset of those operators.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Excellent comment, KG6RBG. The situation is even worse in Canada, where peer support is much more limited. Whereas there were many well organized clubs for learning morse code and passing the exam in a friendly manner in the old days, nowadays this procedure has practically vanished, at least in Canada, and the closest ham club does not even have a shack where I could get some real morse code training from other fellow radioamateurs.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I must admit that I can see the value of knowing code, (and some of you have stated the obvious reasons in earlier posts), however, I must also admit that I cannot see the value of limiting the hobby due to the lack of certain talents of new enthusiasts.

My thinking is that people who find Morse fascinating will not allow it to die simply because they do love it.   There will always be those who are interested in CW just as there will always be new generations of young people who'll discover the sound and the mystery of that mode of communication.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I also consider morse code as a valuable mode. I have tried many times to learn it and was probably ready for the 5 WPM test, BUT I felt too apprehensive as regards the test (unknown examinor, unknown environment, etc.) Today, I still want to achieve morse code proficiency and I plan to use it among other modes. However, given the lack of peer support and peer examinors, I think it will be easier to learn CW once we gain access to the HF bands.

73 de Mario, VA2VA

2. DD9UR

DD9UR Guest

Hi folks !

Please don't missunderstand me , but I want to give you a short overview what happend in the last 14 Days of Shortwaveaccess to CEPT 2 Licenses....

1. A lot of motivated Hams are now on shortwave
    2. No problems with the way how these new OMs operate
    3. CW-Freq.Segments are still protected.
    4. Germany is not broken down !! ;-)  

Sorry People , CW is probably an important Operating mode - but it is only one of a lot of important operating modes.

I know OM who have there CEPT-Class 1 License (with morse test) but they are unable to build up there own equipment. A question: Do you think that this is realy ham radio?[​IMG] What does is help that people can give HighSpeed CW but they are unable to set up there own equipment.....
    On the other hand : I know since a long time a lot of CEPT-Class 2 OMs - they are very good people with a good way how they work and operate on VHF, and this for more than 20 years ! But if you hear the communication on the shortwave frequencys in the past , you could sometimes hear : "We are the 1st-Class operators !"

Sorry, this is ridiculous !!

Please think: Every Year we have less active OM on our bands. New bandwith-consuming technologys are coming ! What do you think people :  How long does it take that we loose some shortwave bands?? We hold nearly 15 % of the frequencys on shortwave, but how many OMs are really active???

As an example: From the year 2005 on, all German TV-Stations are transmitting with digital modulation (In Berlin from this year on! . On the frequencys below 1600KHZ they test now digital modulation (transmission in FM-Radiostation quality! ) In the past we have earned a lot of frequencys because nobody else was interested - but in the future ??

I think we need active OM on our bands - with CW-operation or without.

73 , Klaus

3. W6MKU

W6MKU Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kf4glg @ Aug. 28 2003,20:55)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Seems like most of the people who have traditionally griped about the cw requirement just didn't want to do it!....no crime there! These same people don't want to "master" cw at a 5 wpm rate. No crime there either! The interesting part is listening to'em on local repeaters and low bands whining about it. That's ok too! Unlike them I have other portions of the bands to go where I don't hear any griping about it at all. We get to carry on our conversations with "the secret code" ......CW. It's really very pleasant! [​IMG] .....mike[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Mike, if I could find a tenth of the number of people actually using CW when the phone bands are jammed I might believe some of you CW advocates. As it is I figure you're just talking about it without ever really doing it as a way of life.

{^_^}   W6MKU who considers three CW contacts to be
               remarkably heavy use for 80 meters.

4. KC0JEZ

KC0JEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (w4agn @ Aug. 28 2003,14:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A lot of people want to be Pilots and Astronauts, but if
    the can't pass the test they don't get the call!![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I AM a pilot. I didn't have to learn to rig the strut wires on a biplane, turn the prop by hand to clear the cylinders before starting a big radial engine, or to navigate by the stars. All things pilots USED to do that have been replaced by more up to date skills. No one is talking about eliminating a ham license, just adjusting the test to what is relevant in todays world. If I flew a Pitts or Stearman I'd be glad to learn to rig the struts and wires, but not something I needed to learn to fly a Cessna. We can be pretty safe with the assesment that ALL license tests have advanced over the years..except amateur radio which seems to be too deeply burind in tradition to move forward.

5. KF4DEW

KF4DEW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am glad to see MC being taken out. I think it has it's place in ham radio. But to upgrade, Morse Code should and will be done away with sooner or later. The clock is ticking on morse code. People who love it, can use it. So it won't be going away.

6. ve5rww

ve5rww Ham Member QRZ Page

If code is dropped maybe new Hams should be only used VHF and UHF for one year until they are used to simple opperation. Although there are some of us that have bad habbits and do not care to change. New Hams will have a chance to practice on more local bands and have local Hams to help them out.

[​IMG]

7. WB9GKZ

WB9GKZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been licensed for 32 years.  Had to pound brass in front of a real FCC examiner in the dank basement of the Milwaukee Federal Building to get my ticket.  Banged out 15 WPM that day as my shorts moistened a bit.

To this day, I'm still winding coils on toilet-tissue rolls, grinding crystals with Ajax cleanser on glass plates, burning my fingers on a hot American Beauty....while those young whipper-snappers talk on their Icom's and Yaesu's (with microphones&#33[​IMG].

I've had enough of this discussion:  I'll be in the cellar filling the lamps with oil so's I can adjust the balls on my sparkgap tonight.

Darn, this radio thing isn't easy. [​IMG]

8. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KQ6XA @ Aug. 27 2003,16:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Morse is History
    Morse is a wonderful part of radio's history. Let us honor it, with the respect it deserves, and no longer use it as a tool for oppression. [/b]

Now it's time to push onward together and take the superhighway into the future.

Bonnie KQ6XA[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Ignorance is bliss.

9. K8YS

K8YS Guest

[​IMG]3--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kd5cir @ Aug. 28 2003,00[​IMG]3)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K8YS @ Aug. 28 2003,20[​IMG])</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Today, to take the test, you go out and buy a book, you study the questions and answers, the SAME questions that are on the test, the test might as well be an OPEN BOOK test. There is no longer a requirement to know the subject [and this part is painfully true and very evident if you look at the dumb questions asked on some of the ham radio portals!].

Right now, the code is the only portion of the exam that proves you have knowledge of the subject. The answers to the Element 1 are not posted anywhere.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Sure am glad this dude knows all the answers to all the questions us other guys might have since some of us are posting dumb questions on some of the ham portals. Another thing here, can someone call this guy a WAAAAAMbulance, he needs it.  <!--emo&[​IMG][/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

KD5CIR/8 -- you made my arguement... buddy, if the shoe fits, wear it!

10. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KQ6XA @ Aug. 27 2003,16:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Now it's time to push onward together and take the superhighway into the future.

Bonnie KQ6XA[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    This is too good to let it go...

I think Bonnie KQ6XA should take two grams of soma and call Aldous Huxley in the morning. It's a Brave New World out there full of universal happiness! Gradeless classrooms for all!

11. FUZZIE

FUZZIE Banned

ONE MORE EXAMPLE OF DUMBING DOWN...JUST LIKE OUR CLASSROOMS...LET'S CONTINUE TO ADVANCE TO THE REAR.....WOW, FARM OUT MAN, PASS IT AROUND AND HAVE ANOTHER !!!!!!!!!!!!

12. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kd7nqb @ Aug. 28 2003,14:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Here is my 2 (or more) cents. I am a 17 year old No-Code Tech I would have no problem passing the general written test. The code is the hard part for me but I belive we need to keep the code test. I am actully upset that extra class now only is 5wpm this is an outrage. We need to keep some aspects of the history around in this hobby. I think that morse code is an important aspect of this wonderful hobby. Well thats my input
    -Kd7nqb-[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    "No Code Tech"? What country are you living in? From your callsign I would assume the U.S.A., but what do I know?

The FCC has designated three classes of Amateur Radio license, Technician, General, and Amateur Extra. Exam requirements not withstanding, I do not see "No Code" prefixing any one of them.

It would appear that your use of the "No Code" prefix is intended to pacify those that would belittle your opinion based on your relative inexperience and youth. You do yourself a disservice by assuming such a position of upfront apology.

Stand tall! Be proud of your accomplishment! Your interest in radio is what brought you to this community. Shun those that would force you to apologize up front for "failing" to meet the rigorous rite of passage they surely must have endured.

I personally do not see any reason why you should be prevented from access to the HF bands if you can demonstrate the technical/operating knowledge the FCC asks. I think you should be allowed to learn the code at your leisure and for your own satisfaction, not to fulfill some rite of passage.

The time for the mandatory Morse Code exam to pass into the dustbin of history is long overdue. I think the use of Morse will continue on the ham radio allocations for many years. Morse can stand on its own as one mode among many that hams may use.

As for a Morse requirement of greater than 5 WPM, it will never happen for exactly one reason--medical waivers. The dirty little secret before restructuring was that many hams received upgraded thanks to a doctor's signature. The VE team was not allowed to question the applicant as to the nature or reason for stating the need for the waiver as that was reserved by the FCC. For all the posturing out there, a significant number of hams did not pass any Morse exam faster than 5 WPM prior to April 15, 2000 and yet held valid General, Advanced, or Amateur Extra licenses. By setting the Morse exam to 5 WPM, the FCC apparently believed any reason for a medical waiver was not justified and struck the provision from the rules.

Should the Amateur Extra exam retain at least a 5 WPM requirement? Perhaps, but I definitely support striking the requirement for the General class.

73, de Nate >>

13. K7XOR

K7XOR Ham Member QRZ Page

I passed my 5WPM code test a couple years back to earn my Extra. Overall it was easy for me to learn the code just because of the way my mind works, but I don't think it's appropriate any longer. Mostly it's used as a hazing tool by older hams and makes people in my (younger) generation think that hams do nothing all day but send morse. No wonder us younger folk view our hobby as ancient. Every time I tell someone I'm a radio operator I get the ol' "Oh you mean you do that morse stuff..." Perceptions are everything....

I personally think that the written portion of the test should be made more difficult and should have a more extensive section on accepted operating procedures. If you want a replacement for the code test, then give an oral exam on common operating procedures to be used on the bands. This can be used to establish a consistent and professional group of graduates.

Perhaps we should test people who want to use the Internet and license what they can do. As a software and network engineer for over 10 years I think I can come up with a splendid test to keep out the riff-raff that will be on par with the Morse test. Here are a couple of questions, let's see if you Morse code folks can answer:

1) How many bits long is the TCP Sequence Number field?
    2) How is the URG flag used in a TCP/IP packet?
    3) What is the maximum length of a TCP/IP packet excluding data?
    4) Describe how the traceroute command works.
    5) What is a pseudo header and how is it used?
    6) On a piece of paper draw out the a UDP packet header to be sent to port 53 requesting DNS information.

So these are all low-level TCP/IP networking questions that any competent Internet user should know, yet somehow I think you'll feel that you're still qualified to use the Internet even though you (no longer) need to know how this stuff actually works.

14. N8UZE

N8UZE Ham Member QRZ Page

The tests, written or code, should not be designed as a "filter". They should be to test the applicant's knowledge of the material and whether they have the necessary skills, nothing more and nothing less. The question then becomes what is the appropriate material/skills and degree of difficulty that should be used for each license class.

If 30% of the original poster's students were unable to learn Morse, then I must seriously question the teacher's method of teaching. Anyone can learn Morse. It does not require any natural ability whatsoever. What it does require is the use of correct training methods and correct practice methods.

15. m3stt

m3stt Ham Member QRZ Page

Well siad that Lady, trust the testosterone to rear its ugly head and spoil a perfect discussion!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.