Morse Code on Tonight Show - Friday, May 13

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, May 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. AE7Q

AE7Q Guest

Bill, I don't consider you lazy; you are motivated to learn the code and trying to do so.

And, for the record, I don't consider N1IRL lazy either. Look at this link to see where Rick and some of this friends are putting up a tower for KB3HIE.

2. N1IRL

N1IRL Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, does that mean WIRES is doing the same thing as Echolink? I don't think Chip K7JA would appreciate that comment Mike. Especially when he sees your "radio" when he looks up your call!

Chip runs the VOIP system WIRES II for Yaesu/Vertex. Better do your homework before you make such harsh remarks Mikey!!!

We all see your little coment on every post you make as long as we are NOT logged in!

N1IRL

Rick

3. W5MJL

W5MJL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep it's the same thing, and I am against it. Why would I care what Chip thinks of my comment? Is he going to mysteriously void my warranty on my mark v or 840?

4. N1IRL

Chip was one of your CW guys on the Leno show! You shooting down one of the stars of this thread?

Talk about being negative.....

N1IRL

Rick

5. W5MJL

W5MJL Ham Member QRZ Page

He is the star of the thread.  I am sure I disagree with chip on many things.  So what?  Are we all supposed to think alike if we like CW?  We don't have an organization that explains how to fight people like nocode.org.  We just speak our minds independently following no one.   I guess free thinking is bad too, huh?

6. N1IRL

No Mike, you are doing just fine! Thanks!

N1IRL

Rick

7. kd4mxe

kd4mxe QRZ Member QRZ Page

8. K4JF

K4JF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not a theory and not shot down.  I'm familiar with those outlaw CB stations, there is a major one near me.  BUT that is single band, not the 7 bands of varying characteristics that HF hams have.  It is also one mode, AM (occasionally SSB as a second), a very antiquated mode on ham bands.  (Not knocking those who enjoy AM... I do too, but it is old style.)  No SSTV, no PSK, no digital at all.  Rarely a rotor, no legal international QSOs, I could go on and on.

There are some complex VHF and UHF stations, of course.  But I am talking about the average or normal run-of-the-mill station.  HF ham far more complex than a 2m vertical, or an 11m vertical and RadioShack transciever.  First hand knowledge - been there done that (the legal part).

9. K4JF

K4JF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry, Rick. Cell phones are just NOT that reliable. I can get a message through on ham radio just about any time or any place (if I have access to all bands), but my cell phone just has too many gaps in coverage and fails too quickly in an emergency.

That's why nobody builds disaster plans based on relying on cell phones alone. And why ham radio is famous for getting through "when all else fails". (Using whatever mode is best suited for the conditions: SSB, FM, or PSK, CW or other digital modes.)

I recently participated in a disaster exercise - ham radio (FM) got more information through faster and more reliably than cell phones, business band HTs, or even hardwired phones (and Nextel was deemed just about a total failure). And that was under conditions of all up and running - not overloaded as cell and other circuits would be in a real emergency.

10. N1IRL

You have the nerve to say AM is an antiquated mode??? Where have you been when we were talking about CW as an antiquated mode??? You still use that.., no that's right you don't! You just memorized it long enough to pass the test and now don't use it but expect everyone else to learn it because you had to!

11M stations also use SSB quite regularly!! They also use 10M/11M beams with rotors quite often. So please, don't talk to me about them ot being complex.

They do it all and probably have more contacts than you do..., with NO CW required!!! Why?? Because they are talking HF PHONE..., not CW!!! No need to learn an "antiquated mode" like CW when you want to talk PHONE on HF!

N1IRL

Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.