ad: CQMM-1

Mobile Test from Inside an Abandoned Mine

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6QBM, Feb 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI6QBM

KI6QBM Ham Member QRZ Page

You might expect the results.
    The adventure of driving our off road trucks into this mine at night was a great thrill.
    As radio operators we were curious if our signal would bounce out of the mine with full power.
    Perhaps we were just radiating ourselves. The trip into the mountain was a unique experience to say the least.

This is our video trail report.
    Enjoy...from Land Ops ARC

SA1CKE, K2NUT, K0PIR and 4 others like this.
  2. K6BFE

K6BFE Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice video!

W7LDG, AD5KO and KI6QBM like this.
  3. KI6QBM

More pics from the video and images from inside the Reward mine in California

001.JPG
    002.JPG
    003.JPG 004.JPG
    005.JPG

K0PIR and AD5KO like this.
  4. KI6QBM

Thanks for the compliment and comment.

AD5KO likes this.
  5. KJ6YOS

KJ6YOS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Chris, that looks like it was a lot fun. Were you able to get any tracks recorded on your GPS while in the mine?

SA1CKE and KI6QBM like this.
  6. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

KJ6KNH, N6SPP, AC7DD and 3 others like this.
  7. N6NLX

N6NLX Ham Member QRZ Page

I wished you hadn't told the name of the mine.. I had driven it a few years ago and am glad to see it is still open. The BLM has a nasty habit of caging these old mines up deeming them dangerous. A lot of them are. This one is a very easy drive and easy to find.
    By keeping the names secret reduces the traffic to the sites and less likely to be caged or blasted. The people that are out exploring will still find it. It just makes it a little more challenging.

Cool video. Looks like you had fun. There's a lot of exploring to be had up in that area.

K9ASE and KI6QBM like this.
  8. K0YQ

K0YQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video and looks like a blast. I need to post a pic of my FJ80 on my bio page. Thanks for posting!

9. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What fun, it looks like my type of an adventure. HF antennas on my Jeep would have to come off!!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    KI6QBM likes this.
  10. VO1VXC

VO1VXC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Leaky Feeder" is the antenna system used to communicate between underground and the surface. This abandoned mine had no Positive air flow from the Vent Raise, you guys took quite the chance with multiple vehicles and the possibility of Carbon Monoxide poisoning and i saw no personal Air Quality Monitoring... Sorry to be the downer but Safety first people!

AK5B, KG7E, AC7DD and 3 others like this.
  11. KI6QBM

Good point N6NLX. Thanks for the comment. Yes, this whole area is great for exploring.

12. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Those were my thought exactly. It was still a cool video.

KI6QBM and VO1VXC like this.
  13. K6JKB

K6JKB Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't imagine driving through that mine. I've walked through Burro Schmidt's mine shaft and that is creepy enough!

AK5B and KI6QBM like this.
  14. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

Always keep your left hand on the wall------

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

KI6QBM likes this.
  15. KJ4YQK

KJ4YQK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just visited their main web sites.. A couple guys here are driving 4x4, we have been talking about starting something here in SC... Looks like lot of fun.

KI6QBM likes this.