ad: k1jek

Mobile Test from Inside an Abandoned Mine

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6QBM, Feb 20, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KI6QBM

KI6QBM Ham Member QRZ Page

Our trips and members will be accessible to collaborate with on our forum starting in March or April. Watch for it.

2. KK4YDR

KK4YDR Ham Member QRZ Page

If your not living dangerous your not living. I think they could do without the safety briefing.

KI6QBM likes this.
  3. KI6QBM

Thank you KK4YDR, We thought of bringing a parakeet and keeping it on the hood (not), because then we would be in trouble with the animal rights people. It would have been more likely to die from all the RF.

4. WB1E

WB1E Ham Member QRZ Page

I was just looking at retiring in Lone Pine. And then I read about this. I heard the Sierra mountains have a ton of snow on them. Post a pic of that if you have one please. Thx for the thread too!

Best.
    Doug
    N5DMC

KI6QBM likes this.
  5. KI6QBM

Roger that, I'll look into my Alabama Hills files and send you a few.

6. KF6SBD

KF6SBD Ham Member QRZ Page

Chris, I like Bonnie's suggestion to use LF SSB. Do we need a General License for this?

KI6QBM likes this.
  7. WB6FQZ

WB6FQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely correct! I worked many years in tunnels. We came under the rules set forth by OSHA and Mine Safety Ass. (MSA) We had to have so many lineal feet of air moving per brake horsepower and gasoline engines were strictly forbidden. We couldn't ever use gasoline lanterns in the tunnel. Only diesel engines with catalytic converters and/or scrubbers or electric motors were allowed. We used huge blowers pushing air in one end and another pulling air out the other end.
    The folks in this video are members of "Land Ops". They have many very professional looking videos on YouTube that is worth checking out. They use GPS and amateur radio very effectively and they train often. They would be very useful in a search and rescue mission.
    This adventure looked like a lot of fun but PLEASE be careful!

KI6QBM and VO1VXC like this.
  8. VO1VXC

VO1VXC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey it was no safety briefing, it was just a comment from a person that works in the Mining Industry and saw a Safety infraction worthy of mention... But if you want to get like that....Fill UR Boots Dude!

9. VO1VXC

VO1VXC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And this is from an American Site.... Just for your info....

https://arlweb.msha.gov/Illness_Prevention/healthtopics/carbonmonoxide.htm

Cheers!

KI6QBM likes this.
  10. KI6QBM

Roger that WB6FQZ, thank you for the feedback and the details regarding tunnel safety. Thank you KI6QBM

11. W4LKO

W4LKO Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like that was a blast :) ! Great video!

KI6QBM likes this.
  12. WB6FQZ

WB6FQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

13. W7IRS/SK2024

W7IRS/SK2024 Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup... Its worth considering since your red blood cells have roughtly more than a 100 X more affinity for CO than O2 .... but choose your poison !!! VLF seems to have good penetration effect and can get thru to the surface.... I spent many years working underground in the mining industry as an engineer including working in ventilation.... never never trivialize the need for fresh air.... 23%O2 78% N2 and the rest ,,,, avoid CO it is a poison not just an aphyixiant like CO2

VO1VXC likes this.
  14. KI6QBM

Thank you there W4LKO!

15. KI6QBM