Military experts say radio amateurs "highly knowledgeable asset in HF communication"

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Oct 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W8SFC

W8SFC Ham Member QRZ Page

They used to in 1972 when I went to their school at Fort Devens, Mass. If needed they will resume training.

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Helpful and knowledgeable comments:)

NVIS can be done as a LPI system, thus thwarting jamming or interference.

The authors seemed to imply that MARS can take over when NVIS fails... that seems dubious to me at best.

NVIS has a lotta legs left in it, but some folks (not you) seem to think it belongs in the era of tubed spy radios...

;-)

Chip W1YW

W8SFC likes this.
  3. W8SFC

Roger that!

4. W8SFC

Do you mean martial law?

5. W8SFC

Thanks!
    There is a lot of RF hardware out in the general population, and with training and practice like Field Day and local Simulated Emergency Tests every ham has the potential to assist - the main question is will they? Most veterans would but it is likely that number would suffice in an emergency. Many of us are involved in organized practice as I mentioned previously, and these are great learning opportunities to use as a guide for what your station capabilities really are.
    Great discussion, 73 to all!

W1YW likes this.
  6. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, they're on-point IMHO. Trouble is, not enough hams actually hone that skillset. We have to be careful with things like ALE and automated methods, that we don't lose sight of the basics of HF (and other parts of the spectrum) communications phenomena. I'm not *against* ALE - in fact, it's pretty cool the way Dr. Brain made it work with soundcards ... but if DOD thinks we're experts, we oughtta try to *be* experts. :D Speaking for myself, if it wasn't for the military, I might not have my ham license today.

AA1BG likes this.
  7. K9CTB

It *used* to be that military (at least naval) communications training was much more in-depth than what the ARRL license manual teaches. And the requirements for passing a naval electronic communications course were a lot more detailed and difficult than the 50-question test for an amateur license. But maybe things have changed since I was in "A" school <garble> years ago. If amateurs are considered "experts" compared with military communicators, maybe I've missed several boats since then. Oh, and on CW? I loved my Ameco tapes, but CW training in the navy was orders-of-magnitude tougher .... If any brethren out there remember.

8. K9CTB

One more thought, not to try hijacking a great story (thanks QRZ) .... but I've been reading a lot of the stuff DOD has been releasing for us and it makes me wonder: Are our DOD cyber and communications people actually training for a real-world major cyber attack that will cripple US infrastructure? I mean, more so than a military (guns and stuff) attack? I've been thinking about what "Stuxnet" did to the Iranian nuke effort, and this idea has me more concerned than I used to be!

WQ4G likes this.
  9. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It is, since they are operating ALE circuits usually with encryption.

N0TZU likes this.
  10. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Most modern day hams think "ALE circuits" means barhopping an area's breweries.

2E0CIT likes this.