Military experts say radio amateurs "highly knowledgeable asset in HF communication"

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Oct 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

N0TZU and M1WML like this.
  2. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

Do they still train with flintlock rifles? :)

AJ6KZ, N3FAA, KK4HPY and 2 others like this.
  3. NX6ED

NX6ED Ham Member QRZ Page

My response to the militaries minds realizing that they are in a world of hurt if their satcom goes away: DUH!

WQ4G, WN1MB, K9GLS and 1 other person like this.
  4. KG7RXU

KG7RXU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi guys,
    I believe the article’s reference to software, drivers, and firmware has to do with requirements for MARS members to maintain and utilize certain digital programs.
    73!

AE0LC, W8SFC, N1EN and 2 others like this.
  5. KI5HNX

KI5HNX Ham Member QRZ Page

I read that the Morse Code training was moved to Goodfellow in Texas when Ft. Huachuca stopped training around 2015 or so. Supposedly around 10 are trained per year. I would assume there are contingency plans to quickly scale that number upwards if necessary.

G3SEA and M1WML like this.
  6. WA6VVC

WA6VVC Ham Member QRZ Page

Why can't we just work with the science of radio, tune and expand the art form, develop new technologies and have fun... maybe make a buck at it if marketable?
    Seems like to much emphasis of hooking up with multi letter agencies to save the world with a ham radio. Real or Hollywood? Is there anybody out there??

AA0KM, G3SEA, KX4O and 2 others like this.
  7. K3IK

K3IK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

after the big EMP! How many hams have radios that will still work?
    How about we go back to semaphore and smoke signals. Tarzan did just fine with an empty log and a couple of sticks. Or was it Bomba?
    Still remember learning my Morse code using my Boy Scout neckerchief, long before I ever heard of ham radio. On a clear day with a set of binoculars and a hankie, can send a couple of miles ,at a reasonable rate, if needed, for emergency com. Now that is a true low tech resource. Just have to learn the code.
    BTW, how many know that Johnny Cash was a CW op during his military service.

G3SEA, KX4O and M1WML like this.
  8. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

HF is a fleeting fad for the military. It pops up every few years when a guy, like me, makes a presentation to a Colonel or two about HF effectiveness as part of a robust PACE plan. A push is made for more training but is usually forgotten or not included in next year's training plans. SATCOM and LOS comms are the primary focus for military communications. That's all well and good until you actually fight a peer level adversary that's capable of neutralizing SATCOM, GPS, etc. Depsite most units having HF equipment, most don't know how to put up a fan dipole or what to do if they are correctly installed.

E75NET, WQ4G, AJ6KZ and 3 others like this.
  9. W4LLZ

W4LLZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would the military even bother with Morse Code - sending 30 wpm, when other digital modes can send 30 words per second? Yes, I do CW and other digital modes - I learned it as a personal accomplishment but I would never use it for tactical and strategic communication - not to say you can't, but its not as efficient as other options.

KD8DWO, KK4HPY and M1WML like this.
  10. W4LLZ

W4LLZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Military experts say radio amateurs "highly knowledgeable asset in HF communication"

Really? Gosh, wow. I didn't know that...as if we need the military to tell us what we already know...no thanks...they'd be the first ones to show up and shut down my station in time of war, or cease our firearms, and enforce marshal law.

K9GLS and M1WML like this.