ad: Alphaant-1

MFJ closing down manufacturing facilities effective May 17th 2024

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Apr 25, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

ARRL can't make Martin young again, blame all you want :rolleyes:

M0TTQ likes this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not going to pig pile because I like the OP. But, c'mon man.....

KQ1V, K6GP and K8PG like this.
  3. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Except that this recent news was merged into the old thread that's headlined: "MFJ Is Officially Up For Sale".
    That wasn't a good idea, since news of the "closing" isn't apparent from that headline.
    ;)

4. KS2G

No fault of the OP.
    The recent news was merged into the old thread that's headlined: "MFJ Is Officially Up For Sale".
    That wasn't a good idea, since recent news of the "closing" isn't apparent from that headline.
    ;)

5. KS2G

That word has been out here on The Zed for several days, but you'd have no way of knowing, because
    this recent news was merged into the old thread that's headlined: "MFJ Is Officially Up For Sale".
    That wasn't a good idea, since news of the "closing" isn't apparent from that headline.
    ;)

6. WY6K

WY6K Ham Member QRZ Page

If the ARRL had not virtually destroyed the market for ham radio equipment Martin could have sold the company and it would continue on with a new owner. Newbies buying one $50 HT per year can't sustain an industry.

KB2SMS likes this.
  7. AI5DD

AI5DD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I heard about this yesterday via K4SWL on Mastodon, man what a shame. I have a lot of MFJ hardware in my shack.

8. G3PWP

G3PWP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Re MFJ closing all manufacturing departments I cant believe there has been no interest in this business This wonderful American company is the roots of ham radio this will be like blacking out the sun , forever ! . All you great Americans should start a reward based crowd funding mission and keep the manufacturing going.
    Im so upset about this .
    Im qutie happy to make a donation anyone else ?
    G3PWP

9. KD4ZFS

KD4ZFS Ham Member QRZ Page

10. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

l
    Wrong blame very wrong.

Goes way back to greedy CEO's and coporate America who sold the soul of this country leaving millions without good paying jobs. ARRL may not be perfect, but really!!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2024
    KF7PCL, WD4IGX, WB0NYU and 6 others like this.
  11. KC2JMS

KC2JMS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There is a line in the opening post that DX Engineering made an offer but it was declined

WD4IGX likes this.
  12. W2GSS

W2GSS Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been licensed since 1968.. I'm not going to miss them. Good riddance.

13. K4ZOT

K4ZOT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This will hurt the entire Amateur Radio hobby and related businesses far more then you can image.

Glenn

W9FL, DO1FER, KB2SMS and 3 others like this.
  14. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

I must agree this is a very sad state of affairs for ham radio.

I also feel it has a lot more to do with the state of the hobby than it does for the impact of the pandemic. Maybe I'm wrong but the attitude of the public in general as well as the communication organizations toward amateur radio is what's killing the hobby. MFJ was prefect for people just getting involved in the hobby. There will be a gap for newbies. Hobbies depend on newbies continuously joining.

15. KO4TXV

KO4TXV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The only MFJ products that I own are 4 pairs of ham sticks, which I have yet to put to use. Being a fairly new ham, MFJ is always the first place that I go to learn about products because of the affordability and being on a fixed income. I hate to see them go, but I respect the owner's decision.

This will be harder on the new hams or income limited hams finding affordable products. I really hope that someone can buy the business and keep the product lines going.

KD9YMB likes this.