ad: MLSons-1

MFJ closing down manufacturing facilities effective May 17th 2024

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Apr 25, 2024.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Ham Member QRZ Page

Good, fast, cheap. Pick any two.

N3RYB and KI5UXW like this.
  2. WD4IGX

Most people aren't up to building their own legal limit amp, and the few who are often don't have the time.

I go way back in ham radio and have whiffed my share of solder fumes ;) and I wouldn't even think of attempting it, not from scratch. I could do a kit (think a modern SB-220 or so) if the kit were made right (holes aligned etc.) and the instructions were good, but I wouldn't have time for it until I retire in a few years even if someone made one.

SOME stuff they sell can be home brewed. Manual tuners are very simple electrically though not often so simple mechanically (which would be the issue for me with tuners.)

N3RYB likes this.
  3. WD4IGX

Nowhere have I read definitively that was the reason. It's been suggested, and seems likely, but no one seems to really know for sure.

4. KD6FOZ

KD6FOZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I just heard about MFJ closing shop and came here. When I was a kid I had an MFJ TNC, i forget the model but it could do WEFAX as well as packet. I loved it, used the heck out of it, and last but not least it was affordable. I might not have been on packet otherwise. I remember evenings filling the living room with loud WEFAX signals annoying my family, Ha! Nowadays I'm seeing the open source model combined with the powerhouse that is Chinese manufacturing helping people get on the air and advancing the hobby, the Hermes Lite comes to mind. Pour some RF out for MFJ. Thank you MFJ! Cheers

KI5UXW likes this.
  5. KD6FOZ

KD6FOZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. If the lives of hundreds of people are relying on your ham shack then please at the very least go with one of the big 3.

N3RYB, KE0GXN and KI5UXW like this.
  6. KB8SKK

KB8SKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Fingers crossed for you Mike.

K6LPM and KI5UXW like this.
  7. WD4IGX

Not really. Even for those of us who have several MFJ products they still don't make up a large part of our gear, and most of the most important items either have fairly (if not as much so) affordable alternatives available or at least vast numbers of used units constantly being sold and resold.

8. N4KCD

N4KCD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have seen nothing but grown ups having (for once) a decent conversation about doing something good for our hobby. I have read this thread from the first post and it has been very civil. There are sure to be different opinions and everyone should be free to express them. I think it would be arrogant to close a thread simply because you don’t like or agree with what someone said.

KI4YZN, W1PEP, KI5UXW and 6 others like this.
  9. WA1TUT

WA1TUT Ham Member QRZ Page

That’s a rather narrow viewpoint…

VA7UO, W1PEP, K8PG and 2 others like this.
  10. WA1TUT

WA1TUT Ham Member QRZ Page

I don’t think there’s any other maker of QRO rf amplifiers in the world.
    For the amateur operators with less than $4000 to spend on an amp, the closure of Ameritron, in particular, will be a great loss.

KD8DWO, K8PG and KB8SKK like this.
  11. K7JQ

K7JQ Ham Member QRZ Page

1 KW+ amps other than Ameritron under $4,000:

Acom 1000 tube….$3,850
    Mercury IIIs SS…..$2,800
    Palstar LA-1K SS….$$3,700

And they also have the benefit of actually working right out of the box;).

KR3DX and WD4IGX like this.
  12. W2JDB

W2JDB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The company that could be a loser in this scenario is HRO. If the can they should make a deal to incorporate some of the MFJ product line into their operations.

KD6FOZ likes this.
  13. WD4IGX

Acom makes good amps.

My Mercury IIIs was less than $3k (ok, barely) much less four, unless by “QRO” you mean legal limit. It’s close enough for me.

The price of Ameritron amps has really climbed in recent years even while QC has reportedly become quite bad.

KD8DWO and KR3DX like this.
  14. WA4GQG

WA4GQG Ham Member QRZ Page

Frankly: Good Riddance!!! Foisting junk off on 'inexperienced operators' is certainly current practice with some 'business concerns'...
    The annoyance of QST becoming an MFJ catalog cost the ARRL dearly, I suspect. I haven't wasted money with those $%^@*&s (MFJ) since 2014
    and am still *HIGHLY* ashamed of it. I sold the POS "MFJ 1788" for less than half price and clearly stated it was a piece of $%^& and only
    targeted toward experienced amateur radio ops who stupidly wished to waste their $$$....

Kevin WA4GQG

KR3DX likes this.
  15. AI5DD

AI5DD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think it was political, I thought it was relevant to the discussion at hand. The current business climate.

N4KCD and KR3DX like this.