ad: elecraft

Man-Portable, Off Grid & Solar Powered

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Jan 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N3RW

N3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

Operated under solar power from Anacapa Island, CA (NA-144) running 5 W using an FT-817 & 18 ft tall vertical.
    Outstanding signals from around the world sitting 930 feet (230 m) above the blue Pacific.
    73 Rob N3RW & Jack KG6RWI

2. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video, one all ham content creators should see. Little or no "on camera" time for the presenter, all visual content with narration. One suggestion is if the site is quiet enough, have about 2 minutes of NO narration. Let us hear the wing and nature sounds with the camera looking outdoors.

Questions:

What antenna did you use?
    Explain the Rasberry Pi's function in the setup and maybe share the outline of your code if you wrote any
    How many days did you stay "off grid"?
    Does your bicycle have a generator to charge your battery on cloudy days?
    What battery are you using?

Your setup is outstanding. You put a lot of thought into the station as well as the video. Thank you for sharing.

P.S. The longest I have been off grid was 45 days after Katrina in New Orleans managing the cellular restoration there...BUT...the CEO of my company (a large large company) sent me a diesel motorhome with generator, a brand new one as a surprise. The other workers had camping trailers, large tents, shower tents and mess tent. I was happy with that but I enjoyed using the bus at night living in luxury!:):) I had an FT840 and a little MFJ 1621 on roof (tuner section wrapped in a plastic bag). Easily made CW contacts outside the area and SSB too. CW to a station in Texas who called my wife for me so she knew I was alright. On the 4th day my guys got us internet by running fiber 200 yards to a provider who still had service.

1.jpeg
    The Motor Home at the dealer (the model was "Hurricane" LOL!

3.jpeg
    The FT840. I used a straight key.

2.jpg
    The MFJ1621. It had a 50 inch whip.

1.gif
    Some of the downed cell towers

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  3. WA4VQW

WA4VQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Possibly if they did, then the R-Pi would have to pass part-90 testing. As it stands now, it's intended for home/SOHO use, and any emissions coming out of it are tested only in that context. But your point is well taken. I would like to see a R-Pi that is designed to be integrated into other larger products.

MW1CFN likes this.
  4. W6XA

W6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

QRP, off grid, R-Pi, all good. I want to know about the Ford Torino getting on the ferry?

MW1CFN likes this.
  5. N9EEE

N9EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

6. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

You are right. The Pi is very RF-noisy out-the-box, requiring good quality ferrites on all cables to control it.

7. F4HPX

F4HPX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fully agree. R-Pi is used here only for CAT control and digital emissions using Pi software receiving and sending audio stream via the radio.
    Indeed using R-Pi directly as transmitter from the pin 12 if I remember is noisy especially if someone wants to amplify that thus requiring filtering.
    I purchased a small hat kit for 20m from QRPGuys to put it on r-Pi and used WSPR on random wire. It worked and I was heard after 15 minutes in UK and Netherlands when transmitting from Africa.

MW1CFN likes this.
  8. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Julian, you are 'THE MAN' ! No question...If I were 40 years younger....I still couldn't do what you do.

I'm a fan of all your videos and exploits, keep up the outstanding work(and fun)....see you on JS8.

Dave, K3FHP

9. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Answers in red above to 1 and 5. I am sure if I sit through several videos the others will be answered.

10. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks again for the effort and video Julian. Have you considered operating FT8 on 144 MHz for tropo and Au etc? That of course would require something like the FT-857, or maybe an "FT-867" in Yaesu's future. hi 73,Eric (ex: BQ40, BQ50 grid Ops)

11. AD5NM

AD5NM Ham Member QRZ Page

8 years ago I began questioning our political stability and the stability of the grid. I bought a few acres in the Rockie mountains. I built a completely off grid home and I love it here. Yes, the winters can be harsh but not unmanageable.

There is a learning curve and an adaptation process. I have all the conveniences of living in a town without the hassle. I'm 45 miles from anywhere but I have indoor plumbing as well as an outhouse. I have hot and cold running water. I have plenty of lighting and a 50" tv. The fridge is electric as well as the coffee pot. One simply needs to consider their power consumption and time of day.

My power comes from a hybrid solar and wind arrangement. 1500 watts of solar and 1kw wind turbine into 12 L16 batteries at 24v. Solar is controlled bt an Outback 80a controller and the wind turbine is managed by a home brew controller. The inverters provide 8kw of power.

I can use my welder as needed until mid day without compromising my power and my radios are available 24 hours. The AL 84H can be used as desired.

This man had to take a trip to see my everyday life, lol. Living off grid is not for everyone. It requires a lot more day to day planning but I am pleased to see he is taking the time to learn the way of life and I admire his willingness to experience operating in a grid free environment. There is a lot to be said about preparing for worse case operations.

KG5JPG, K8XG, K0VWA and 1 other person like this.
  12. N4GDX

N4GDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video! Thanks for sharing.

13. K4VW

K4VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Very well done, Thank You!

14. WA4VQW

WA4VQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Someone, utilizing a spectrum analyzer and a large variety of ferrites, should determine the optimal kit needed, then sell them as a kit to "cleanse your Pi of nasty RF noise".

MW1CFN likes this.
  15. KG5JPG

KG5JPG Ham Member QRZ Page

For those of us who only do voice, is there any real reason for Rasberry pi? I don't contest or anything, just go camping and talk on the radio. I certainly enjoy you very informative post though. Philip

K0VWA likes this.