ad: TinyPaddle-1

Malicious ad appearing on my QRZ.com page

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by K8BZ, Feb 8, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Whatever you call it, many people ALLOW websites to "access their location" and the sites then use that info to customize ads. If "allow location info" isn't selected in Windoze, ads STILL ask to be allowed to know your location on an individual basis.

Simply not paying attention to (i.e. ignoring) ads is a simple and elegant solution.

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a similar "problem" with such things as "scareware" with some "G*ggle" searches when I was using Windoze XP, and HAD to power down the computer; nothing else (the RED "X" didn't work) would clear the problem; I think one time, I had to clear a browser "cache" to get the browser working again. But with Win 10, I find I CAN simply close the browser to return to my desktop. YMMV, but I suffered no permanent damage in either case, though.

3. KA3VSP

KA3VSP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is true. I've reported these banner ads to Google and they've replied that they are acceptable. So, this shows you how much Google is concerned about personal security. Same with FB. Similar ads and posts appear daily there. Reported and FB also replied that they are allowed. Rule #1, if you aren't expecting anything in an email or on a website, don't click it. Personally, I never click on ads.

K8VHL likes this.
  4. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't get ads on QRZ and I do use ad blockers with my browser. Even so, on one occasion about a week ago, without clicking on anything, my mouse passed over an offending ad on some website and evoked the "Windows Defender Security" Scam and froze my browser.

Ctrl-Alt-Delete worked to bring up Task Manager and I was able to shut down the browser. Then when I re-started the browser it asked me if I wanted to restore all my tabs, and I was able to select and delete the offending tab. No damage. Problem solved.

Sad that so many people fall for these scams.

WJ4U and K8BZ like this.
  5. NT0D

NT0D Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It would be very unusual for a website owner to be unable to choose ad services, no? I guess there could be some kind of service agreement with the hosting service? Or do you mean that it would be hard to choose a different ad service because this one generates so much revenue and is very convenient?

6. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Because my phone was in my pocket when I drove past it.

7. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

As noted above, he's able to chose, but there are limitations. Occasionally, one will slip through the cracks, and at that point, he's able to block a particular advertiser.

K8BZ likes this.
  8. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks! I just switched to uBlock Origin and I'm impressed.

K6CLS and K8BZ like this.
  9. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks to @K6CLS, I just added uBlock Origin and the ads are gone.

K8VHL and K6CLS like this.
  10. NT0D

NT0D Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for the explanation. I'm sure running QRZ.com is a complicated balancing act. I'm glad the site owner has the tools to address problems like this!

11. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

people actually click on those ads??

12. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

AdBlock says 0 ads on this page. I guess my QRZ Subscriber status takes care of it for me.
    But just look at the count for all the other (mostly news) sites visited. :eek:

upload_2023-2-8_15-23-48.png

N4UP likes this.
  13. KD7MW

KD7MW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I’ve been trying to tweak the book of face’s algorithm. Yesterday I made several posts of utter nonsense, fractured movie quotes with key words changed, etc. I want to see if it changes the makeup of ads on my feed, or anywhere else I surf. So far things are about the same. Except for a promo post for a “news” site that pictured two fried rats in an electrical socket housing. Shades of “Whatever Happened To Baby Jane.” I wonder if They are trying to tell me something. :D

P.S. I reported the above to the book of face, which informed me that it did not violate community standards. Ew.

K6CLS likes this.
  14. KD7MW

KD7MW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you looked at one ad per second, eight hours per day, it would take you almost 27 days to view 769,994 ads. I think we reached saturation long ago.