ad: ProAudio-1

Mac Mini M1 and WSJT-X Automation With RUMLogNG

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0PIR, Jan 11, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

DX Chasing using FT8! With RUMLogNG and WSJT-X you won’t miss needed DX. It’s possible with the latest RumLogNG update and WSJT-X. I set my DX Alarms (countries, grids, continents I need) and when they show up in DX Spots, the software starts the transmission automatically.

QRZ photo.jpg

Full post with extra video, “Add QSO Data”.

Rich, KØPIR

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    KC5IIE, KB2QQM, AA5BK and 3 others like this.
  2. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice Video and setup Rich, I was struck by how colourful it all was, lol. It is a shame that Ham software for Mac’s is so limited. Without being rude Rich, I found all the pop ups with your website link and the Subscribe info very off putting, great information though thanks.

K0PIR likes this.
  3. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

It's nice to hear from you and thank you for the input. Yeah, I wish there was more for the MacOS and for Linux. I'll have to check out the pop-ups, maybe I added one or two extra. o_O Thanks again and best 73!

2E0TWD likes this.
  4. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No problem, thank you for understanding my point. Absolutely no malice intended. Keep up the great work your doing.

5. AJ6LB

AJ6LB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

RUMlogNG always looks so promising but without automatic upload to QRZ logbook, it’s a no-go for me.

N0YPD, WW0OF and K0PIR like this.
  6. W2VIR

W2VIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks W2VIR 73

7. AK5CT

AK5CT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Isn't this getting even closer to the 'machines talking to each other' with no human operator needed ?

UR3QTN, N1IPU, KC2IEB and 1 other person like this.
  8. VK6APK

VK6APK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Totally illegal for DXCC, under ARRL DXCC rules.

AJ6KZ, N5XKG and K2GSP like this.
  9. VK3BVW

VK3BVW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the video. I'm always interested in Apple OS videos as that's what I operate here in the shack. Your comments on the speedy M1 mac mini are interesting and being echoed by many others. Maybe time for me to invest!! ;)

I agree with 2E0TWD - Way too many flashy pop-ups just getting in the way of an informative video. I don't need to be told countless times to subscribe, especially when I am ALREADY subscribed! And the channel logo pop-up is too big. The red arrow is helpful for locating stuff, but I'm not THAT blind that I need such a big arrow! It's all very distracting and unnecessary. Rather than splash some of these pop-ups across the middle of the screen, why not insert them discreetly at the bottom of the screen. You know the old saying: "Less is more!".

Cheers and all the best for '22!

K0PIR likes this.
  10. KC2IEB

KC2IEB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

DXCC Rule 6a: "Each contact claimed for DXCC credit must include contemporaneous direct initiation by the operator on both sides of the contact".

If someone enjoys having a computer "chase DX" for them, then they should be free to do so as long as they're not breaking their country's laws or affecting other people's enjoyment of the hobby.

However, looking at the DXCC rules, I would be very concerned that none of the contacts made using that setup are valid for DXCC because there's no way to tell that the contact was manual or automated. That goes for anyone K0PIR communicated with using this particular setup.

That would be really unfortunate if someone lost their DXCC because of another operator's decision to ignore the rules.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  11. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

All this would be fine but contesting is the most ridiculous thing going. Still waiting for anyone to tell me what the point of it is past clogging up the airwaves so one can get a piece of paper.

19RD01 likes this.
  12. KB2QQM

KB2QQM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been meaning to upgrade my Mac Mini to the M1. Im still running the 2012 Mac Mini with all of this software. I absolutely love it. RumLogNG is a GREAT PROGRAM... I actually DONATED... to the author. More people should do that, as he deserves it for making my playtime on Ham Radio more benefical. People don't have a lot of extra money but everybody has at least $5... If everybody gave him $5 or their favorite Open Source software designer the cash, the world would be a better place.

KC5IIE and 2E0TWD like this.
  13. KB2QQM

KB2QQM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

RumLogNG and WSJT-X .... you can un-check that function. I never do automated logging.

KC5IIE and K0PIR like this.
  14. W5EN

W5EN Ham Member QRZ Page

73 de W5En

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
  15. VE7KGE

VE7KGE Ham Member QRZ Page

No operator skills required ...DXCC on FT8 is a joke and now you can be cutting your grass or what ever...show me your certificate and i promise i wont be impressed...
    that last contact on FT8 what was operators name how many kids ? is operator married ,whats is his station setup? How long has operator been a ham? wouldnt this been handy back when to Titanic was calling CQD ? I think not...dont look for my call on Ft8 i wont be there Ill be in qso with a real person 73 Ve7kge