ad: elecraft

Looking at a Chinese clone of a fantastic open source SDR Project

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Jul 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I have. Think about it, if as a licensed amateur I can build a radio out of used TV parts and operate it (on the ham bands) so long as it meets the technical requirements, I can surely operate a modified 7300 (or any radio) so long as it meets the same requirements AND I operate within the ham bands. If I modify the firmware of the 7300, and my modified firmware CAN operate out of the ham bands, the radio doesn't suddenly become "illegal to use" as you put it. It is illegal to use outside the ham bands.

I have read thru the regs, and some have argued that it's a good idea to make sure you have the capability to operate out of the ham bands if it becomes necessary as provided under parts 97.403 and 97.405. I don't necessarily agree with that idea, but folks have been modifying their radios to this effect for many years.

If you would like to clear things up, please post where in Part 97 you found what you're claiming. And there are differences in the restrictions around marketing radios, and using them.

AI7PM likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

MARS is not Part 97.

MARS licensees do not operate under Part 97.

MARS frequency allocations are not Part 97 allocations.

MARS requirements include an HF station which works in the MARS allocations.

MARS requires a Part 97 license in the application process as a means of vetting practical proficiency and operating ability . But it is not Part 97.

A MARS license is not a Part 97 license.

AK5B and KA2FIR like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah.

Your questions ar not for me. They are for the FCC. You just want to argue.

Ehh.

4. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice. By your logic, I can make the statement, "The FCC requires that all transceivers be painted blue". Can you disprove that?

If you make a claim, cite it. If not, then you're just making things up. I was being courteous when I corrected your statement, I guess I forgot who I was dealing with. :D

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't care.

Get outside and enjoy the day.

6. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

The Japanese were given the technology that allowed them to invent the big 3. China steals what they invent. By the way, China’s economy is slowing.

7. N4GKS

N4GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

Show me who’s using most the mods. I’ll tell you. CB types and pirate radio stations. That my friend, is against Part 97.

KY5U, AE8W and W1YW like this.
  8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

My, my...aren't we optimistic! ;)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2019
    AK5B likes this.
  9. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

That made me laugh. I work in a powdered metal tech shop with presses up to 100-ton. We operators have a running joke about how our "maintenance" department thinks a press overhaul only involves fresh grease, new flywheel drive belts, and a fresh coat of blue paint.

AK5B likes this.
  10. W7CPT

W7CPT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

TNX for the QSL w/ me & the EBN Kevin, glad we helped w/ the demonstration... Lol and the Video!
    I agree with your view with "IP" Theft of open source project(s)/ patient protected commercial sourced gear!
    I used to investigate Hacked and Forged Cloned parts & system instrumentation for Navy & FED use.. Not a Joke.. Great way to showcase such "IP" Piracy.. Always an on going issue for systems developers, engineers & Government(s) trying to protect their economic well being.
    73' Look for U on the EBN
    DE: W7CPT

KY5U and W1YW like this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

My opinion on the FCC 'clarification' is that it is a bit heavy handed. But the point is that we HAVE to stop the influx of non-cert hardware. Otherwise you will have terrorist comms, jamming, and a general free-'for-all of the airwaves.

The Ailunce is basically a KX2/KX3 with a spectrum scope. It also has 15 watts, which puts it right on the edge of making it a QRO exciter. Its cheap. It has a lot going for it--because it steals a fellow ham's efforts, and is not imported with the same process as other rigs, such as Yaesu, JVC, Icom.

If PRC can't play by the rule of law then the hardware should never make it past our border.

:)

KY5U, W4QBQ, AK5B and 1 other person like this.
  12. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The PRC has allot of free labor in their Laogai system. I try not to buy anything made in the PRC even if it costs me more $$$ not to. But unfortunately there are some goodies that are only manufactured in the PRC.

Personally I've been loyal to Icom since 2005. I just like they way they do things.

And it's not that I've never purchased anything from Kenwood and Yaesu. They make nice stuff also.

I don't see myself buying anything from Ten Tec but I sure hope they flourish. Nor from Flex or Elecraft.

13. KA2K

KA2K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The Chinese economy is a mirage painted by their lying government, building widgets on the backs of their slave population working for pennies. An educated people will be their undoing. And that goes for any third world country experience newfound prosperity. As far as the US is concerned, well, there is a forum here to discuss other than ham topics and even there it would accomplish nothing. Way too many politically incorrect hot button issues involved.

14. AE8W

AE8W Ham Member QRZ Page

IP is not protected by law. Patents are protected by law. IP is protected by secrecy. If the designer has their products manufacturered by those that understand this difference ... good luck. Oh wait! Wat? Are K2 & K3 being builit in Asia?

15. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been authorized to operate a MARS radio station by the USAF.
    I have had a long list of frequencies outside of the ham bands that have been instructed as for use in the operation of such administrative traffic.
    AFA6EC