ad: MyersEng-1

Listen to DSTAR via the internet

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KF4ZW, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K8SOR

K8SOR Ham Member QRZ Page

For the price of some of the dstar rigs, you can add a couple hundred $ and buy a good entry level HF rig and really enjoy radio. Dstar?? Will it do CW?

2. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Apparently we won't need CW much longer, thanks to all the "progress" we're making. Instead we'll all be working toward our email DXCC award.

3. W7MAX

W7MAX Ham Member QRZ Page

Checked out the feed... Sounded terrible. If this is Dstar I would have to give it a fail. Thank you for letting us hear what this new miracle mode sounds like.
    I will pass on the disco... I mean Dstar fad.

4. WA8LGM

WA8LGM Ham Member QRZ Page

same old gripes, just different mode

This ruckus over D-Star sounds to me like a discussion I heard when I was a novice on 40 meters between two AMers back in 1964. They were complaining that this "new" SSB stuff was going to ruin ham radio and turn us into a bunch of quacking ducks that no one would be able to understand.
    Well, let's see: How many full carrier double sideband stations do you hear on HF these days? Granted, there are a few, damned few. Absolutely in the minority these days. What's replaced them? Single Side-band. Hmm, sounds like technology has moved on, doesn't it?
    Bye the way: If I had someone on 146 or 440 who operated CW, I would use that, so there. :(
    I can remember when there were a bunch of AM stations on six and two meters. I was one of them. Nowadays, you hear (yup!) SSB, SSTV and FM. Where'd the AMers go?
    To quote from "Alice in Wonderland, "You have to move as fast as you possibly can to stay in the same place around here." (or words to that effect) Let the D-star nay-sayers complain. Practicality will determine if D-Star is a puff of air or not.
    Internet use? Of course. I need it to do my job. Wouldn't live without it. Echolink? Same thought, except for the need to use it in my work. Albeit,. it isn't the ne plus ultra of what I do everyday. It just so happens that I enjoy talking to people on any media that is available. Maybe that was why I got into radio in the first place.
    My opinion: If it can communicate and it requires me to send my ham call sign, then its ham radio whether you like it or not.
    But then again, I have a picture of a rabbit with a waffle on its head on my cellphone. So who knows?:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 21, 2010
    K2AMF likes this.
  5. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like it's essential to the survival of ham radio that we rob it of any "Wow!" factor and lower the bar of achievement so far that it will be harder to crawl under it than step over it. Sounds great. I'm glad we all have the best interest of ham radio in mind.

6. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a Skype phone call to me. But, whatever floats whomever's boat. I for one wont use it until it's open (As in open sourced).

An open sourced codec (Rather than a closed-source, single supplier) is available, I might give it a whirl. Until then, it's in the same boat as WinLink.

7. N1JBS

N1JBS Ham Member QRZ Page

Show me where the copyright or trademark is held by Icom and I will sell all of my equipment, right now!!

8. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

About 1 year ago I stated in another forum, Dstar will die a slow death just like packet radio. I still stand by that.

K2WH

9. KE5C

KE5C Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, it is true: this topic has attracted a lot of really unhappy folks trying to bring a little joy into their miserable lives by deriding a mode others really enjoy. Well, however the hobby works for you, go for it I guess. 73 to those who know what 73 means!

10. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

11. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

12. G4ILO

G4ILO Ham Member QRZ Page

13. K4AX

K4AX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's something going on at the streamers end, its dead quiet if someone is not keyed up.
    You're listening to audio that is only 2.4khz wide, basically like side band, that is being compressed further for the stream. Sound a heck of a lot better on my HT than it does here.

14. G4ILO

G4ILO Ham Member QRZ Page

The codec is just a side issue to me. My main objection is that D-Star is losing touch with what ham radio is about. Being able to key "KC2UGV" into my radio and have you answer with Q5 quality isn't it. There are loads of ways to make reliable personal contacts already. The randomness of who you might hear and the vagaries of propagation are actually what makes ham radio interesting for me. I already have a cellphone.

15. N1JBS

N1JBS Ham Member QRZ Page

No, I am going to sell to a local Ham that is interested in new technology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.