ad: HamHats-1

Listen to DSTAR via the internet

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KF4ZW, May 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KF4ZW

KF4ZW Ham Member QRZ Page

Everyone is welcome to listen to DSTAR without purchasing any equipment. A DSTAR feed is now available via the radioreference.com website. This feed is usually connected to Reflector 1c which is generally the busiest feed.

The direct link is: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?ctid=321 Scroll to the bottom of the page & look for the DSTAR link. Click on the "speaker" icon to start listening.

You can also listen to any of these feeds via your iphone or blackberry as long as you have the unlimited data plan.

Mike
    KF4ZW

2. WY5V

WY5V Ham Member QRZ Page

If you put on your headphones and turn it up real loud, it sounds like crickets chirping.

3. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The internet is NOT radio.

KA2FIR likes this.
  4. KB1LID

KB1LID Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for posting that.

5. K5CLC

K5CLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Uhg, I bet the D-star repeaters are so much more exciting to listen to, what with the select few hams who can (or care to) shell out $500 for an HT or mobile with D-STAR capability. One of the hottest repeaters in Texas went D-STAR and it was never heard from again. Useless in my opinion.

6. W0RM

W0RM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I dont have the $ for that right now but I am interested in learning more about it. This seems to be a good way to listen. Any chance one of these "reflectors" would be hooked up to echolink or something similar? Maybe I'm in left field and just need to read up more on it when time allows.

I know the internet is not radio but I'm near the internet more then I'm near my radios (work, friends houses etc).

7. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like a lousy connected cell phone. If that is what Dstar sounds like, then thanks for doing the ham community a favor by allowing non-users hear what $ 500 dollars gets you - nothing.

K2WH

8. N2OBS

N2OBS Ham Member QRZ Page

Listen to D-STAR via the internet

Why must there always be one in the crowd...
    There is so much spectrum for our enjoyment and yet there are those who must attempt to force their believe upon others. Any medium which communications is transmitted is amateur radio as long as there is a required callsign given. If one person believes amateur radio does not belong on the internet, there are many groups who enjoy merging these two entities together bridged by the use of the internet. Glad to see our hobby is keeping actively used otherwise what would the purpose of having a license of which the privilege of enjoying the hobby is shared. Enjoy the hobby and let the other distraction be the concern of the other person and don't let anyone dictate how to enjoy amateur radio. 73 de N2OBS

K2AMF, KG5SOR, KH7AD and 2 others like this.
  9. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey once put on the internet, its fair game. By placing the feed on the internet, the article writer is trying to foist his/her beliefs, ideals etc. on others.

Can you honestly say the lousy audio on the Dstar repeater feed sounds good? Better than straight FM?

The audio I heard was either mumbly, muffled or distorted. Reminded me of a record player with speed problem.

K2WH

10. N1JBS

N1JBS Ham Member QRZ Page

No, Thank you...

INBDSLT

In Before the D-star Locked Thread

11. K4FH

K4FH Ham Member QRZ Page

Why the haters

With all the D-Star hate around here you've got me doubting my D-Star investment.....

I hang out with all crowds. Analog FM, CW, Digital HF, SSB, AM, and even D-Star. I disclose that I'm a "all mode operator". I don't push my preferences on people. Well, maybe a little in regards to CW :)

D-Star does have some quirks but it is a neat mode. It is not for everyone but so far I've enjoyed it. I've also met new friends and had fun. I did that with CW too when I learned it.

k4fh

12. KB1LID

KB1LID Ham Member QRZ Page

Something for everyone. That is what makes ham radio fun. Who cares if someone doesn't get it, there are plenty who do and enjoy it. I won't mess with it until the other manufactures support it but it doesn't hurt anything taking a peek.

13. W0RM

W0RM Ham Member QRZ Page

The funny thing is, I turned on this feed in the link above and the first thing I heard is W1ERD on Dstar. He lives less then a mile from me and one of the first Ham's I met at field day a couple of years ago.

14. WA4TM

WA4TM Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree 100%... I sure hope all D-star doesn't sound like that... 10 minutes I'll never get back.......

15. W7NWH

W7NWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Dstar

D-STAR goes far beyond normal modes by allowing digital data to be sent down the line. Very cool indeed. So if you like ragchewing, talking FM, DX, HF Digital, it's just another mode. And you can insert data - spreadsheets, word docs, image files - very cool indeed. I have two D-STAR handhelds I use for personal use as no repeaters in my area. Try the various software packages that are available.. You can find used D-STAR rigs as low as $200 on EBAY now. So the $500 argument doesn't really hold that much water.

Hams experiment and play with ALL modes. Not just those sanctioned by the few. Enjoy moving data, jpegs and docs, helping people in public service roles and being on the cutting edge. The average person does not understand ham radio - but if you talk about high-speed wireless - they instantly get it opening many doors and minds. Talk SSB or old man ham radio and they walk away...

KG5SOR likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.