ad: HamHats-1

Let's learn about Spectrum Analyzers together

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Sep 8, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Roger from R&L gave me one of these, let's start a club learning session! I'll compile what we learn and share it out in a video for all to grow together.

EU7AG, KG4CWC, KG5QNO and 9 others like this.
  2. G6YZC

G6YZC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for your video.

As with the NANO VNA I have found the Tiny SA to be easier to run on a PC.

https://tinysa.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.PCSW

I have read too many comments about the screen on the NanoVNA and the Tiny SA being too small.
    75" monitors are now very cheap from Walmart if a 50" screen is too small to see.....

EU7AG, KB1GKN and M1WML like this.
  3. HA3FLT

HA3FLT Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that it will not be so popular like the NanoVNA due to its limitations when things come to real analyzation, I've checked it more than a year ago.

6Y5IC and M1WML like this.
  4. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Rigol DSA815TG spectrum analyzer and still find many uses for my TinySA.
    One use is for tracking down RF noise generated by junk electronic items around the house. Try walking around with a full size spectrum analyzer that has to run on AC trying to find RF issues. Hi Hi
    Another use I found was for testing mobile antennas. I set up a remote pickup antenna far from the car and ran coax back to the car. Connected the TinySA to the coax, sat in the front seat of the car and now I have a calibrated field strength meter in hand. I had a fun day in the park testing and comparing numerous mobile antennas.
    Don't sell the little TinySA short, it's a handy tool to have around.
    Barry, KU3X

WV4W, SV4NLA, CX3ABD and 3 others like this.
  5. CAHR

CAHR QRZ Member

This will be a good topic going forward. Thanks for helping people learn new things!

KU3X, M1WML and G6YZC like this.
  6. W8LJZ

W8LJZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have had the TinySA for some months now and want to learn about more uses for it and how to hook it up if possible to a large screen. Will watch the video.
    Thank you so much! Great idea.

M1WML likes this.
  7. KG5QNO

KG5QNO Ham Member QRZ Page

One use for a small SA like this is to tell if the clock crystal on a PCBA is starting up OK. Make a small coil (several turns) with some enamel wire, center it over the crystal, power the device up, and see if you get a peak at 20MHz or whatever frequency the crystal uses. Not something you need to check every day, but nice to have the tool when you do.

M1WML likes this.
  8. KB7KUH

KB7KUH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video. I have been wanting t learn more about mine, and the video helps.

M1WML likes this.
  9. G6YZC

W8LJZ, how to hook it up if possible to a large screen.

Either for the TinySA or the NanoVNA it is just a matter of downloading the software to your computer and plugging in the USB cable from the TinySA or NANO to your computer. You then just need to turn on the device and connect to it using the connect option in the software. You can then choose which options from the pop up that you want to display on your monitor.

This is the link for the TinySA software. https://tinysa.org/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=Main.PCSW

M1WML likes this.
  10. M7BLC

M7BLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Now this is interesting ! Been looking at the NanoVNA but have no clue how to use it . As long as it is not too involved this could decide me to take the plunge and buy one.

M1WML likes this.
  11. W5AOS

W5AOS Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice video. I looked into one of these a few months back but didn't go for it for some reason. After watching your video, I made the purchase from R&L. I will mostly use for FS testing. Yeah, sure, it's not professional equipment, but that is why it is called AMATUER radio, right. If your filthy rich and want to pay bookoo for something you don't really need go for it. This will fill the gap in my equipment line-up just fine.

M1WML likes this.
  12. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

M1WML likes this.
  13. G6YZC

M7BLC Been looking at the NanoVNA but have no clue how to use it . As long as it is not too involved this could decide me to take the plunge and buy one.
    I use the NanoVNA-F with NanoSaver as the computer interface.
    Rule #1 of using a NanoVNA or TinySA. DO not try to use the little touch screen display. Hook it up to your USB port.
    There is no reason whatsoever to use the touchscreen. M7BLC this is the screen for a NanoVNA Lots more options in "Display Settings" but these are what I needed for measuring a filter.
    222 filter 200 to 240.PNG

M1WML and M7BLC like this.
  14. NL7QY

NL7QY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

These are a great little device. The signal generator alone is worth the price tag. One of these, a few attenuators and a nanovna make a good little electronics lab.

M1WML likes this.
  15. HA3FLT

HA3FLT Ham Member QRZ Page

Concerning the USB and the noise floor, it is worth to watch this video:

It would be interesting to see how much some clip-on ferrit rings would help...

G6YZC likes this.