ad: Radclub22-1

Leaderboard

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by W7OSG, Jan 29, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W7OSG

W7OSG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

How do you tell how many total entries there are? Would be nice to know ones overall standing in the total list.

2. KC9IVQ

KC9IVQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was thinking the same thing. Did you get an answer?

3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Could be there was no answer because the question was a bit lacking in detail. The only "leaderboard" I'm familiar with applies to the game of golf. Guess I'm behind the times.

K8VHL likes this.
  4. KC9IVQ

It is the term QRZ uses after all.

5. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

K3XR likes this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

K8VHL likes this.
  7. KC9IVQ

upload_2023-2-12_22-7-18.png

On this page it says I am number 19,013 for most countries worked. Is it possible to know how many are in that population? #19K out of 75K? 150K?

Thanks!

Kurt upload_2023-2-12_22-7-18.png

8. KC2NJ

KC2NJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

http://logbook.qrz.com/page/stats.html

QRZ Logbook Statistics
    Updated: 2023-03-23 06:07:43

QRZ Logbook has been live for 3349 days.

Total QSOs: 721,795,301
    Total Confirmed QSOs: 302,405,285
    Total Logbooks: 337,284
    Total Logbook Users: 276,379
    Total Awards Issued: 364,388
    Average QSOs per day: 215,525
    Average Confirmations per day: 90,297
    Confirmation Rate: 41.90%

9. KI4DRA

KI4DRA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Was curious if there was an answer to the OP? I knew exactly what he was talking about when I read it, because I wondered a time or who where I was in the grand scheme of the 3 categories.

10. K8VHL

The question was answered in post #8. Look at the number of Total Logbooks.

11. KI4DRA

Thank, but I took the question as KC9IVQ "Kurt" did in post #7.

Here is the question from post #1 - "Would be nice to know ones overall standing in the total list" This is dealing with the subject of the thread called leaderboard. I understood this to be the QRZ logbook leaderboard.

I can see where I fall in all 3 categories like, "Most confirmed QSO's", "Most Countries Worked" and "Most band Countries Worked".

Is there a way to see the entire list of those 3 categories? If not, that is fine, but was just curious if there were entire lists of each category in the QRZ Logbook Leaderboard?

Best Regards,

12. K8VHL

Let's see if we can answer all of your questions. Just to clear things up so we're both on the same page, the item you quoted above in post #11 is not the question from post #1. It is a statement, not a question.
    Your first question was, "Was curious if there was an answer to the OP?". The OP's question was, "How do you tell how many total entries there are?". The answer in post #8 is 337,284.
    Then you said what you really wanted was the answer to KC9IVQ's question in post #7. That question was , " Is it possible to know how many are in that population?". The answer in post #8 is 337,284.
    Your last question was, "Is there a way to see the entire list of those 3 categories?". The answer is, "I don't think so". As far as I know, you can only see the top 15 in each category and the 14 around your standing in each category. I'm asking @KF8KI to let us know if there is a way to bring up the entire list in each category.
    You bring up an interesting point. I wonder if there is a way to combine our logbooks so that we could see our standings by operator rather than by logbook? I'll ask Steve to address that also in case I'm overlooking something.

13. KF8KI

KF8KI QRZ Staff Engineer QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Unfortunately this is a bit more complicated than the discussion would lead you to believe. Because of the fact that a user may have many logbooks for many different callsigns, statistics on the site are very "callsign based". This means that, using AA3B as an example from the screenshot a couple posts up, that the CALLSIGN AA3B has 827K+ confirmed contacts (at the time of the image). The user AA3B however has a helluva lot more than that total because he manages a number of different logbooks for a number of different callsigns. In the list however, these alternate callsigns would be listed separately.

That being the case, one consideration becomes a bit more subjective: Is it, how many OPERATORS am I competing against? That would be Total Logbook Users. Or is it, how many CALLSIGNS am I competing against? That would be CLOSER TO Total Logbooks, but even that's not accurate. Some operators have multiple logbooks for the same callsign with different date ranges. I specifically fielded a support ticket recently for an operator that opens a new logbook PER YEAR for his callsign and he's been doing it for approaching ten years now, so there's even some distortion in the ability to compare Total Logbooks because of that. I believe (but I'd have to review code to double check) that such cases of multiple logbooks for one callsign are combined for the purposes of ranking, which of course, further confounds an accurate total number to compare to.

Total Logbooks: 337,284
    Total Logbook Users: 276,379

As for the specific ranking in each category: Each category is run against all logbooks and thus, the size of the "population" as it was termed in one post above is the same for each category, and is CLOSE TO Total Logbooks (Callsigns), but again, not identical to that number because of the logbook variations discussed above. I'm sure that related to the query that's run to determine the statistics published and shown in the leaderboard list, it would be possible to determine the accurate "total callsigns" population, but I'm pretty sure that's not currently available outside the query itself. Further, if it is, code changes would be needed to make it available in the user interface somewhere. I'm going to add it to my list for the team to consider for future code revisions.

Regarding the question of combining logbooks to see the standing by operator: This is a very difficult consideration for QRZ because of the nuances in the ways operators use QRZ and the variations in how each operator wants to utilize the callsigns attached to their user accounts. Where this is most visible currently is in the awards section, where a user needs to select what logbooks they manage should be applied to an award they want to apply for. Users managing club and special event callsigns often don't want those logbooks attached to a personal award, and may even want them to have their own awards. They may or may not want the managed call awards to show on their personal QRZ page. I've even recently seen cases where an operator wanted to distinguish his awards between his current callsign and his past callsign.

Thus, how do we decide which of the user's logbooks to combine if we want to compare operator to operator for stats? I'm sure opinions are going to vary on this. This question actually came up recently in a support ticket from a user that wanted to do the same thing. The query to do this would be quite a bit more complicated than what's being done currently and would likely require the addition of a logbook setting for something like "include this logbook in ranking stats for me". It's potentially do-able, but it would require a fair amount of logistics and it's potential value as a feature would need to be weighed against other development priorities.

Clear as mud?

73, Steve

KL5IA, KP4SX and K8VHL like this.
  14. KI4DRA

This is just me and my opinion, and others will vary, but all I would ask for is if it is possible to have a scroll bar in each category. Instead of "back to top", a user could scroll down the list or scroll up the list. I believe most people realize this is a snapshot in time, and a "ranking" is a moving variable through the day.
    Or maybe keep "Back to top" button, but add 2 additional buttons that says "Up 12" and "Down 12", where a user can essentially scroll 12 at a time up or down.

I like the feature regardless and appreciate that I can see where I fall in the 3 categories. I'm just looking to see if we can enhance the feature or not.

upload_2024-3-31_8-50-29.png

Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
  15. KF8KI

KF8KI QRZ Staff Engineer QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

I knew someone would ask about a scroll feature. I just couldn't think of a good way to address it in my last post. I'm not going to say it's out of the question, but the problem with a scroll bar is that it puts a MASSIVE burden on the server, either in the form of having to run the query and provide ALL of the records each time the page is loaded (or cache them, but still lots of records) OR by interacting with the server again every time the scroll bar is moved to get whatever range should be displayed at the time.

Consider the scrollbar option for a moment: since each of the three categories is different in the ranking, that's three sets of data for the entire range. If, from my post above, Total Logbooks is roughly equal to the total number of callsigns in the list (allowing for the discussed variations), that means 337K+ entries in EACH CATEGORY. That's pretty close to a million records to provide to the page just so someone can scroll through them. That's an unreasonable load.

Using a concept like the up 12, down 12 buttons you proposed would function similar to the query that shows you where you are in the list, so that would be less of a burden, but I'm not sure I see the value in that in terms of cost of implementation vs use of feature. It doesn't seem likely to me that anyone is really going to spend time going up and down the list. I think it's far more realistic to keep the existing functionality, but provide the addition info that you're #5510 out of 337284 or whatever the actual number is; perhaps in the form of a line entry below the list that says something like "Out of xxxxxx callsigns and yyyyyy confirmed QSOs."

In any case as I said above, I've added it to my list for the team to consider as new development occurs.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
    NZ4X and K8VHL like this.