ad: Retevis-1

Land Ops ARC Playbook (less controversial release) - HF Expansion

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6QBM, Sep 29, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

If your position with ARRL was not cogent to your points, then why did you post it so prominently in your responses, under your callsign?

I can post lotsa stuff under my call, including MasterMason, but don't unless its relevant.

W6RUF likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just so everyone knows...

Chris (KI6QBM) and I had a very friendly email discussion in which the concerns have been ironed out. I look forward to working with him and others in LANDOPS.

Chip W1YW

KI6QBM likes this.
  3. W7ARE

W7ARE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Online, there always has to be a troll. People can say things via this media that they would never say face to face. Take it for what it is and ignore it. It will get bored talking to itself and just go away eventually. Enjoy your hobby.

AF6TC, KI6QBM, KK6PRV and 1 other person like this.
  4. KI6QBM

KI6QBM Ham Member QRZ Page

I confirm, I appreciate Chip's (W1YW) friendly email and support. Since 2009 Land Ops has been a very local group, but now that we're an official club with much more visiblity the way we present ourselves needs some adjustments.

W6RUF, W0PV and W1YW like this.
  5. K3SZ

K3SZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah...an Edward Abbey fan. My favorite book!

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Abbey was a brilliant 'scene placer' . The problem is(was) that he would use that talent stylistically to manipulate you into an in-your-face anti technology stance, eco-terrorism as it were.

People seldom read for 'place me there' imagery anymore....Youtube kinda spoiled that.

Chip W1YW

7. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats Chris on enduring the extreme vetting and receiving an imprimatur of the Zed forum! ;)

Best of luck on the build-out of Land Ops to a wider region. Wondering if it will ever come to the Southeast / Florida; ie, ham radio equipped airboats, mud-fest swamp-buggies, and amphib 4X4's with snorkel kits. :D

73 de John - WØPV

KI6QBM likes this.
  8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip,

Abbey probably would have agreed and said you prove his point that the technology of YouTube is spoiling the more spiritual awakening experience of reading such literature or of actually being there.

I don't think he was anti-technology; just wary and concerned about the care of where and how it was being applied. His core philosophy wasn't anthropocentric, so that may run afoul of short sighted or naive capitalism and even a lot of non-native western religions. He outlined and highlighted the potential longer term trade-offs, loss/benefits, and challenged introspection on the judgement of value.

Abbeys autobiographical views were criticized by many more liberal social groups and activists. His fictional works certainly took over-the-top radical positions but I don't think all his core beliefs should be over simplified because of that. Any more then other writers like Robert Heinlein could be stuck into a specific political corner because of their occasional adventurous style.

Will any one ever find Abbey's grave in the Cabeza Prieta Wilderness? Would love to go look ...

73 de John - WØPV

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    W1YW likes this.
  9. G1YRV

G1YRV Ham Member QRZ Page

well that was entertaining....meanwhile in other news, I built an air wound ugly balun to cure rf in the shack whilst on 40m using the G5RV and it worked!!............let the debate begin.

KI6QBM likes this.
  10. N0NZG

N0NZG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have only one question, how do I join?!!!

KI6QBM likes this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Online app at LANDOPS.ORG :)

12. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm wondering about a lot of NEGATIVITY out HERE for a group of guys WHO ENJOY EACH OTHER'S COMPANY and are trying to do good in their own way!!! They're intelligent and MATURE ADULTS, so if YOU think they're not doing anything right according to your OWN BELIEFS I'M SURE THEY'RE "NO DUMMIES" AND THEY'LL CONTINUE TO HELP THEIR "FELLOW MAN/WOMAN" IN THEIR "OWN WAY!!!". BLESS'EM!!! AT LEAST THEY'RE OUT THEY'RE DOING SOMETHING INSTEAD OF BITCHING!!!

G1YRV and KK6PRV like this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Please read the entire thread. The Radio Amateur's Code has prevailed.

14. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

So your saying that Ham Radio is just a fun game ?

Hmmm , that is an interesting theory.

gregW:) OH2FFY

15. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

CHIPPER, DAMN OB, WHAT'S WITH YOU???
    YOU NEVER EVER FIND ANYTHING GOOD IN ANYONE ELSE'S OPINION "EXCEPT YOUR OWN" INCREDIBLE!!! OH BY THE WAY CAPS ARE ON PURPOSE!!! :)