ad: M2Ant-1

Land Ops ARC Playbook (less controversial release) - HF Expansion

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6QBM, Sep 29, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry Chip, I'm without more clues.

If LANDOPS is NOT a para-military, as stated, its a contradictory misnomer. I could imagine some of those actually involved with official militarized ops to be a bit irritated by civilian usage.

Don't like the serious ad hominem hostilities either. Would like the discussion to stay on point.

Congrats on your new membership! Now you can be certified "geotactical" too. (I hope!) :eek:

73, John WØPV

2. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am finding myself to be more and more geotactical while going up and down stairs. I think it's an age thing. But it's unavoidable, as the washer and dryer (laundryops) are in the basement.

KF5THB, KM6MHZ, KI6QBM and 2 others like this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I enter this organization with no assumptions so defined by the distasteful and leading comments made on the thread. In fact, I intend to explore whether all such commenters are actually members.

"Geotactical" can be misconstrued as a 'World Order'. I do not have any reason to believe that is the intended meaning by LANDOPS, and do not assume so. But that is why I asked for your independent opinion. I will report back at some point on how that word is intended, benignly or otherwise.

Chip W1YW

W6RUF and W0PV like this.
  4. W6RUF

W6RUF Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi John,
    Let me say this about the "supervised" portion of your comment. When we began our net control effort to find that 12 year old kid lost in the forest, I used a map I had created on Caltopo.com the week before our adventure. As it turned out, I used an option to print GPS coordinates on the margins of the map.
    At one point in the day, I had two forest service guys and two Mariposa SAR deputies using my map to coordinate the search because my map contained both forest service road names, topography, and GPS coordinates. Thier maps...as issued by thier agencies...lacked key information. They learned something and so did we.

During my career in the defense aerospace industry, I saw many instances of a department or agency policy having a cryogenically halting effect on any motivation to innovate or simply to do things right.

KD8AQT and W1YW like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

As best I can tell, 'geotactical' is not an overly common phrase within LANDOPS and is used in the context of finding what geographic location has an advantage in the desired effort. For example, an appropriate analogy in Military Science one would refer to 'take the high ground' as a geotactical approach. So it is a borrowed term for a para-military game,IMO. I don't see anything wrong with that: its an excuse to put the trucks and the operators in places and positions that may be off the beaten path, and fun to get to. Off-roaders are always looking for new challenges, just like hikers blazing new trails. By saying 'geotactical', it is an invitation to get out to new paths and places, based on a defined ,simulated, objective.

K8MHZ was drawing a funny based on the 'geotaxis' meaning..;-)

K8MHZ likes this.
  6. K8MHZ

I was hoping someone would get that!

7. K8MHZ

I couldn't find any dictionary that had a definition for geotactical other than that which is used in biology, and relates to a response to gravity. Your definition is probably spot on for the use of 'geotactical' in terms of positioning equipment or personnel.

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sir--

Are you a member of LANDOPS?

9. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Great story Emmanuel.

What I meant by forming a formal relationship with and "supervised" by a governmental org is not so much that LandOps needs any unique expertise from them, but rather would gain structure (for building out), access, and most of all, official legitimacy, from it. That would help dispel any aura of just being high tech mounted vigilantes.

I completely agree that many government agencies, and therefore the public, could greatly benefit from a relationship with the right kind of amateur radio, or other, volunteer group(s). When it functions well, the benefits of such flow bidirectionally.

Decades ago now I interviewed with the commander of the CAP squadron that met at KSTP (Holman Field). I was shocked that despite my aviation credentials being extremely thin, after hearing of my amateur radio licensing and experiences he immediately offered me a leadership position, at rank of Captain no less (which usually takes years to achieve) to fill the open position they had in Communications.

I would bet if LandOps cultivated those successful U.S.FS and county contacts you had they could land an even higher level and/or more established agreement (MOU) and tout that valuable long-term relationship.

73 de John WØPV

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    K8MHZ likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Sir--

Are you a member of LANDOPS?

If not, why not?

Thank you.
    W1YW
    LM ARRL

KI6QBM likes this.
  11. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that you're "IN" Chip, will the slogan change to GEOFRACTICAL ?!

:confused::D

WJ4U, KI6QBM and W6RUF like this.
  12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think there is a great deal of experience and value to this activity, presuming there is no exclusionary agenda. My main beef is the way the ''wording'' is presented.

Obviously the videos are very well done and the fun is palpable.

I suspect the main objectors to my comments are not members at all. I think that says a lot.

W6RUF and W0PV like this.
  13. K8MHZ

We are always looking for ways to promote ham radio. The most recent drive was to provide emergency communications. Well, by recent, I mean within the last few decades, I got my license in 1994 so I could work with the local civil defense group.

Now we see a group of 4X4 enthusiasts interested. I grew up with 4x4's. My family belonged to a four wheel drive club. It was a blast. So, 40 years later when I was contacted by the current local 4x4 club to help them with communications, I happily volunteered. For three years, my friends and I used our radios to help the group with their annual state land clean up event which removes tons of garbage from state forest land.

I think ham radio and 4x4 groups are a perfect fit. I think the combination could be symbiotic. Along with radios making 4x4 events more fun, you could also have the 4x4's making radio events more fun. Like foxhunting, geocaching or some version thereof.

I am still, to this day, a big Jeep fan. Our family owned several when I was growing up. I was also a real 'Jeep Mechanic' in the 90's. I worked for Chrysler and got to go to a couple classes on Jeeps.

KD8AQT likes this.
  14. K8MHZ

I am still not quite sure about what you felt was exclusionary.

KD8AQT likes this.
  15. W5WI

W5WI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just found the site, but I will join soon! I look forward to a group being started here in Texas!