ad: MLSons-1

Kid stuck in chimney climbed ham radio tower to reach roof

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K7RA, Jan 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K7RA

K7RA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

How very sad.

From the photo it seems there were no anti-climb shields on the tower.

3. K7RA

Don't know. The photo doesn't show us much of anything, such as an antenna.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

VERY sad indeed.

But I'm sorry - maybe the house is owned by a ham (didn't fact check that part but will take it on face value as claimed above - it's not mentioned in the article or the video - not a single mention of ham radio whatsoever) - that looks like any number of a ZILLION old TV antenna towers that are spread around the country - with an old TV antenna on top. There are countless zillions of these old TV towers throughout the mid-west.

I realize that's a trivial difference given that a young life was tragically lost, but no mention in the article or interview says ham radio had anything to do with this.

May the young man rest in peace - my heart truly goes out to him and his family - and we should ALL have barriers on towers we may own, regardless of where they are.

But the screen shot below from the video in the article of the antenna - looks like yet just another rotting old TV antenna to me. Nothing at all resembling any sort of ham radio antenna at all - Radio Shack "long range TV" is the sort of thing that is.

It's not fair IMO to have the title of this thread relate to ham radio.

Dave
    W7UUU

upload_2020-1-15_19-47-23.png

K8DQ, KD8DWO, WA8FOZ and 2 others like this.
  5. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave is correct. ...And huge question of why, exactly, the kid did what he did. He paid a huge penalty for whatever had had planned.

K8DQ and SA1CKE like this.
  6. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

N1ART and W7UUU like this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Yes. Exactly what I see as well - a rotting one as far as I can see - dating from many years ago.

Nothing "ham radio" about this article.

Still - a kid died - and that is SO SAD and I cannot imagine how tragic it was for that boy... or his family - as a father, I can't imagine dealing with this.

But it's sad enough as it is without dragging "ham radio" into this.

May he rest in peace - I have no idea what he had in mind climbing the tower to get into the chimney.... but I'm so sorry it happened.

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN, K8DQ, WA8FOZ and 1 other person like this.
  8. K7RA

I'm glad the article didn't mention ham radio, but I "verified" it by checking the FCC database against the name of the homeowner given in news sources. They said he was in the Cleveland area, and that matches N8HJJ.

9. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

It is a very tragic ending to a young life. I am really sorry for the family.
    I am also very sad that a 14 year old found climbing to a second story and descending into a chimney so overpowering that he attempted this. I don’t think the method used to access thr roof is important. It could have been a flagpole, an extension ladder stored outside or a tree as easily as an antenna tower. To what extent is a property owner required to kid proof a residence exterior?

IMO a 14 year old should know about trespassing as well as the dangers involved in entering a chimney. But that does not detract from the tragedy. The boy did not deserve to come to such a tragic end.

K8DQ and KD8DWO like this.
  10. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

This does not mean that the tower in the photo is a 'Ham Radio Tower' or that 'Ham Radio' had anything to do with it. There could be more than one 'Jim Schmitz' in the Cleveland area.

K8DQ likes this.
  11. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

Comment deleted

WG7X likes this.
  12. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The tower is clearly NOT a "ham radio tower" because the antenna on the top is a TV antenna.

73 de Jim, N2EY

WA8FOZ likes this.
  13. KN4UZN

KN4UZN Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't understand why you feel the need to try and connect dots and call somebody out by name for something that you don't know much about. Seems like a dirtball move if you ask me. If it was him, I'm sure he feels bad enough without you shaming him here. If your point was to raise awareness of risks associated with towers, then I'd recommend you choose your words differently and make it less personal. Just my opinion.

K8DQ likes this.
  14. WM6P

WM6P Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, not fair to mention ham radio when unconfirmed. Clearly a TV antenna.

15. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The tower is an "attractive nuisance." Don't know the laws there, but there is a simple argument that it should have appropriate measures to prevent just this type of tragedy. The owner of this home is likely in a world of hurt that will only be mitigated somewhat by a young teen doing what most would consider extreme negligence (at 14 years of age I would never have remotely thought of trying to climb down a chimney). My tower is surrounded by a 6-foot hardened steel fence to reduce the likelihood of this type of thing from ever happening.

...............Bob