ad: CQMM-1

Kevin Mitnick N6NHG infamous hacker - silent key

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N6HBJ, Jul 31, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

please, use paragraphs. It's not difficult, and it makes your wall of text in to something we can enjoy

IU5HES, KQ1V, WJ4U and 1 other person like this.
  2. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

And don’t sound so jealous.

K3SX, W6EM, AC0GT and 1 other person like this.
  3. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

C64 demo groups were the big machine code freaks in former times. No hackers in a bad way. But they were able to show what a homecomputer can do really. And they are still there.

KQ1V likes this.
  4. AI5DD

AI5DD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry to hear, I knew this story back in the 90s early 2000s. He got out of prison and worked as a consultant helping businesses avoid being scammed.

KQ1V likes this.
  5. WJ4U

WJ4U Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an Atari 800 and poked random memory locations to produce psychedelic video art.

KQ1V likes this.
  6. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Atari wasnt so big here in this region, more a niche product. This because Commodore got a factory here in my hometown. But after the CEO stole the own products lorry by lorry with much criminal energy and was caught, the factory got to be closed.

KQ1V likes this.
  7. KD9YHS

KD9YHS Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a signed copy of Cliff Stoll's book!

8. KA9UCE

KA9UCE Ham Member QRZ Page

We have a government that violates people's rights daily, but none go to prison.
    Kevin hurt nobody, but treated like a killer, and promoted as someone who was worse that Sadam.
    That is why TV is a great tool to create compliance and a sheep mindset.

VA7EKA and KQ1V like this.
  9. K6BBC

K6BBC Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember him being a BIG trouble maker on the local repeaters. Then he became a criminal, etc. etc.

After prison he reformed. I never heard of any trouble post incarceration. He had his own show on KFI radio - I believe it was called "Dark Side of the Web" but can't exactly remember. It was a very good show and I learned a lot about the dangers the Internet brings. It made me a better user so he did help people.

Too bad he died so young from a miserable disease.

NOTE: The show was called "The Dark Side of The Internet."

Last edited: Aug 8, 2023
    KU5Q, KA9UCE, IU5HES and 2 others like this.
  10. KO4SSD

KO4SSD Ham Member QRZ Page

The Wall Street Journal? Fortune?

11. W1GCF

W1GCF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You think you were on first name terms and don't think he hurt anybody? Then you write of sheep? Mitnick caused real harm as a criminal. later as a "consultant" who sold ideas and software he didn't create and which could have been had for free. He was a rip off artist. How was he treated like a killer? Actually go find out about his sentence as compared to similar crimes by others. How was he treated worse than Sadam, who was hung by the neck until dead? "sheep mindset"? Show some original thinking, comparing facts and learning about something if you wish to bleat about "sheep".

12. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

@W1GCF After reading your 12+ posts railing Mitnick, I think it has been clearly established you are not a fan of his.

We get it.

13. W1GCF

No they aren't for cybercrime. If you want to play that game, they all are. You stick a question mark after something, no reason to write it. I'll be clear. I know of NO ARTICLE that states ANYTHING that grifter did that was truly original in any technical or methodological sense. Go find it. Maybe its there but I doubt it. Nothing I ever heard that grifter did was anything original, not even that there is a sucker born every minute. Evidently some of them are Amateur Radio operators.

14. W1GCF

NOPE - you don't get it at all. Read what I wrote again. The point here goes beyond that con artist. Write this down - HE NEVER DID A THING THAT WAS ORIGINAL - Not one. Nothing he sold after doing his time was original and, after learning his lesson, he didn't commit commercial fraud by saying it was when it wasn't. He offered "consulting" but even that was providing incomplete information for money which was available in better form for free from academic and system manufacturers (Did yo read that point). Yes he was an SK but what actually did he do as a ham? That's an honest question. Anyone get a QSL from him? The only thing that's true is that he had a license and then he died. Pick up a copy of QST and find out how many achieve that every month. Oh - and if you don't like responses - don't respond. Don't use the royal we either. If you want to insult me by pointlessly claiming you get my point when demonstrably you don't - you get another point.

NN4RH, W1YW and KU5Q like this.
  15. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I did not insult you whatsoever, but you just keep saying the same thing over and over; it’s like your personal quest. Just saying.

WJ4U and K6CLS like this.