ad: Radclub22-1

Kenwood Announces 70th Anniversary Edition TS-590SG

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W4LKO, Aug 4, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

3. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

keep smiling its just a hobby.jpg

KA0KA likes this.
  4. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Agree 100%...It's all good nature fun. But I do find marketing an interesting 'field'. ;)

5. KB7AA

KB7AA Ham Member QRZ Page

My 520se still has original tubes, overall truly mint and 115w out every wkend...just saying

N0NB likes this.
  6. KK2DOG

KK2DOG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish all Kenwoods were as good as Icoms. I just might buy one then.

7. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess this is similar to the gold line addition with the TS 830. That was an epic radio coming to the end of it's marketing life and it gave it a little boost to the finish line.

Today, the gold line version is coveted and helps with resale.

8. K2OGT

K2OGT Ham Member QRZ Page

i also had the t599 and no trouble at all have the ts870 and a 590 im not drifting at all you might have bad power supply

9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I never bought a new one but currently have 4 TS-830's, 3 used for VHF and up transverters and the other on the amp repair bench. Also a pair of TS-940's at the second station or a backup and a TS-950SD for the primary station.

Also a TS-130 with PS, ATU, and remote VFO up in the BR to keep an ear on DX stuff.

I do all my own service work and mods.

Carl

10. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldnt own an Icrap and have evaluated most of them:p:D

K8AI and (deleted member) like this.
  11. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Only thing the "gold" version of the TS-830S had was two included CW filters. Normally they would have been optional. Other then the filters, it was a plain old TS-830S being dumped to make room for the new stuff. I laugh every time I see posted a coveted "gold edition" up for sale. Many have no clue what it meant.

N0NB likes this.
  12. K4AVU/SK2023

K4AVU/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

Here it is again, a poor marketing plan to sell a Kenwood radio with the optional SO-3 that should have been included in the radio from the start of production of the TS-590SG. All of the TS-590SG's are off frequency. Who is Kenwood fooling? Oh, they are giving with this pro mo a cw paddle. What a gimmick. Paul K4AVU

13. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Giving a CW paddle? Ha...A VibroCube Deluxe costs $300. The SO-3 is $110. The VGS-1 is $70. Oh, and you have to install them. Total value of the 'freebies' $480. The deal price was $600 more, I see it dropped to $500 now.

I was going to purchase a 'basic' TS-590SG soon. I hope this is not a prelude to design changes to the radio. In fact, I may now wait for the celebratory mood to subside. :D

73 de Vince, VA3VF

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2017
  14. W4LJ

W4LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe it's a poor marketing plan, maybe not. I don't really regard it as something I want to purchase.
    However, I've had three TS-590s' w/o the SO-3 installed and they were all within 10Hz to 15Hz of WWV out of the box. (in a non-mobile environment) That's not too bad. They also were quite frequency stable over operating time. I routinely ran them using digital modes (and other modes) with out issue. Therefore, your statement regarding "all TS-590SG" transceivers is inaccurate. Besides, unless you have measured every transceiver, you cannot make such a broad brushed claim. The only time an SO-3 would be needed is in a non-temperature controlled environment.
    BTW: Hi neighbor. I see you are located close to me.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  15. W1REN

W1REN Ham Member QRZ Page

My 3 + year old 590 SG has a Black Face too... ? That's kinda weird... :confused:
    Come to think of it, my buddy's 6 year old 590 has a... Black Face. That's really weird...?!:eek:

And... come to think of it again, I've never had anyone tell me that my 590SG was off freq. :rolleyes:
    By Jeeze if I really think of it... my buddy has never mentioned that anyone has mentioned that his was off freq either ... Is that weird or what ? o_O

Renster

W6NYA and N7KFD like this.