ad: elecraft

KDKA's 100th anniversary special event

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WC3O, Sep 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K0YWT

K0YWT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you!

W3WC likes this.
  2. W3OY

W3OY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Spent 7 hours so far trying to get through on 20 40 and 75... really take their time and let the pileup get so huge that no one but the strongest signals get through.

Very Disappointing.

3. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep trying! The secret is often timing, so listen to the pileup for a while. Often, if you wait a second or two or three to throw in your call, that's the one they will hear.

If you really want to get them in the log, I got them on the first call. I didn't even realize who it was I was working, but I worked them first and looked them up later. I worked them on CW, and you can too.

Even if you don't know CW, listen to your own call enough times so that you can recognize it. Then, find their frequency, using reversebeacon.net. Even if you can't copy everything, if you listen for a while, you'll recognize when they are listening for calls. Send your call slowly (just write down the dots and dashes).

If you hear them send your call, then come back and send something like "5NN TU 73" (again, just write down the dots and dashes before you start). You'll be in their log!

4. W3OY

8 hours now... taking about 1.5-2 mins per exchange. It’s very frustrating and disappointing. I’m definitely aware of the tricks to get through a normal pileup. Never getting to the point where they could even begin to hear normal 59 signals. Just listened for 3 straight hours of no one below 10 dB over. Once you get up to 40-50 people, if your not burning through the pileup to thin out the crowd some, there will always be a couple people running power.

Just bummed because they’re local so I’ve been looking forward to it for a month.☹️ Now I need some tissues. Haha

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  5. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

If they're local, does your rig run on 12 volts? If so, hook it up to a leaky dummy load and work them mobile!

6. N0TLD

N0TLD Ham Member QRZ Page

W8XK is BOOMING into southwest MO at 4pm CDT on 11-7. I am without a 40m tx antenna at the moment so I'm just rxing (on a simple but very quiet little LoG). Good conditions with a lot of strong signals.

7. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I applaud your determination, really I do, but sometimes working a "local" is harder than working a distant station. Keep it up, you'll most likely get thru on the low bands better...

8. W3OY

It’s definitely like me to complain when something doesn’t go my way... but it’s not in character to stop trying. If it takes 40 hours, it’s gonna happen. There was a guy screaming about democrats constantly in the background, too... so inappropriate.

9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Reminder that W8XK QSL Card requests for the KDKA Centennial Special Event ONLY got to the Skyview Radio Society K3MJW. This is a special card that was designed by the KDKA graphics artists.

QSL request for other activities, especially the 2020 Pennsylvania QSO Party (see sample below), go to W3WN.

W8XK 2020 Pa QSO QSL.jpg

10. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

W3WC will be operating W8XK today. I asked him to keep an ear open for you.

11. W3OY

Hoping to hit them up on 75 or possibly 40.... I think so far I'm going over their head. Had alot more success getting them (W8XK) in the QSO Party on 75. It'll be nice to try with my new call too.

12. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

13. W8HFY

W8HFY Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations. I have a KDKA QSL from 1954 while SWLing before I got my ticket in 1955. Unfortunately, I cannot work you on anything except the HF DX tri-bands and we are too close from Kent, OH, to work you.

14. K6PGH

K6PGH Ham Member QRZ Page

My W8XK card was in the mail today. Brought back a lot of great childhood memories. I grew up in Allison Park on Mae Drive which is on the hill across Route 8 from the tower. Loved listening to KDKA as a kid.