ad: ProAudio-1

KDKA's 100th anniversary special event

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WC3O, Sep 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KS5N

KS5N Ham Member QRZ Page

My father worked at Westinghouse in East Pittsburgh, along with my elmer Dave Anderson, W3TFU (SK). It was a real treat to snatch an occasional meal at Bob's Cafeteria across the street.

2. N4UM

N4UM Ham Member QRZ Page

When Rege Cordic left KDKA and went to the west coast it was an even bigger betrayal that that committed by the Brooklyn Dodgers.

3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

If I'm not mistooken, KDKA is the only "K" prefix broadcaster east of the Mississippi.

4. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

From my post #27:
    There is also KQV in Pittsburgh, originally 8ZAE, on the air in 1919, becoming KQV in January of 1922. Also KYW, originally in Chicago, moved to Cleveland, and now in Philadelphia. Plus a few more stations close to the boundary, with either their city of license or their transmitters east of the Mississippi River. Likewise, there are a few "W" stations with transmitters west of the river.

More info:
    https://www.bnd.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/answer-man/article66843127.html
    https://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm
    https://bigthink.com/strange-maps/602-land-of-the-k-home-of-the-w-americas-radio-nations
    And many other websites.

For info on any U.S. station:
    https://radio-locator.com/
    For the technical info, click on the yellow "I" icon, then click on the "view coverage map" to see the antenna pattern and coverage area.

5. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have found KDKA on my 1922 Westinghouse after dark. Loud enough to come loud thru my horn speaker alot of the time. Using my 20 meter dipole antenna. Had to find it using a digital radio and a 1020 signal from my signal generator. As the dial is 0-100 calibration. Now I know to tune to "21" LOL. I emailed the station. Stations used to send out reception confirmations and I would have thought a CENTENNIAL would be important enough to do something but they have not replied. I would have loved to get a "QSL" from them with this radio. Ideally I would have a generic long wire antenna, I suppose, to use with this radio, but I use what I got handy.

6. KB3LIX/SK2023

KB3LIX/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

I am looking forward to this operating event.
    I will be active as K3A on November 21 & 30.
    I just reserved K3A for Thanksgiving too.
    Working on my RTTY/PSK31 macros to be prepared.

I sure hope to drum up LOTS of activity during those days.
    I am located in Washington PA, about 25 miles South of the Burgh.
    Been here forever are remember ALL the names and voices of the "stars" of KDKA.

I had to stay up most every night to hear the answer to the PARTY PRETZEL.
    The PRETZEL was a nightly trivia question posed on PARTY LINE a very early
    call-in show that ran from 10pm to midnight.
    Party Line was hosted by Ed & Wendy King.

Oh the memories of 1020 K D K A Pittsburgh.

7. N3ASE

N3ASE Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking forward to it. I worked as a broadcast technician for KDKA in 1982. I had the privilege of working with Nellie King. What a wonderful experience.

8. W2MYA

W2MYA Ham Member QRZ Page

It can not be disputed that KDKA is indeed the "grand daddy" of all broadcast stations! Many have tried but never duplicated the rich history this station has left us with. Keep AM radio alive when I'm on the road or here at home AM is always in play,unless I am on the ham bands of course. Am really looking forward to this special event.I only hope the operators will not get discouraged by poor band condx the rest of us will want to chase them down. Good Luck all,
    Good Luck, Vy 73 Greg W2MYA

9. W2MYA

W2MYA Ham Member QRZ Page

I had just written a short comment about this very exciting event and will be looking forward to working all 4 stations. Hopefully I'll be successful in locating them. KDKA is the "grand daddy" of broadcast stations that many tried to copy.
    Let us all help keep commercial AM stations on the air as well. Good Luck in locating them.
    Vy 73, Greg W2MYA
    West Caldwell,New Jersey

10. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ditto. My dad was career Army (101st Airborne Division and the "Hell on Wheels" 2nd Armored Division) and as such we moved around, a lot. Always had a hard time separating WBZ on 1030 (huge signal) and KDKA (less huge) on 1020 -- but Larry Glick on WBZ inspired my interest as a radio/tv commentator and a ham. I remember staying up way too late and getting yelled at for listening to WBZ until all hours. Also loved the Patriots, Celtics, BoSox, & Bruins as a teen. Good times. Happy Birthday to KDKA!

11. NJ3T

NJ3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Town of Somerset or somewhere in Somerset County?

12. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Emailed KDKA about a QSL or confirmation of centennial as I would like to get one with my 1922 Westinghouse receiver as it has already proved it can pull them in. They did not reply. So I may make a video proving that I was able to get them and then they may card me I hope. WBZ does come in stronger in Ohio some nights though. Regen receiver can seperate them a little bit.

13. WP2ASS

WP2ASS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

El Cajon, I grew up there. Not a lot of people know that town :)

--Shane
    KD6VXI

14. K0YWT

K0YWT Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like work these stations, but have not found what frequency the event is being conducted on. Would someone please shed some light on this?

15. W3WC

W3WC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Attached Files:

K0YWT likes this.