ad: k1jek

KD2GTM Vlog 9: Is there sexism in amateur radio?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N5ARA, Jun 23, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

How old were you 50 years ago in 1966? 13? Come on!

You'd say this is sexism, I'd say it was expecting you to be honest with GTM.

K6DS likes this.
  2. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

Sexist, ageist... but at least you aren't being "Codist"... :)
    I learned Morse Code before I ever knew about Ham radio :p

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
    KB0TT likes this.
  3. KA2ZIU

KA2ZIU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Next time we have to re-up our licences, we are going to be forced by the FCC to take a course in sensitivity training. The best offence in this ever changing world is to smile, say good morning, good afternoon, good evening, and walk out the door. Now, on the air, you have to watch what you say, and hope you don't offend anybody, and if you do, oh boy. I need to go to my safe space now. Can I say that ?

KF7PCL likes this.
  4. KF7PCL

KF7PCL Ham Member QRZ Page

I am puzzled by what would make anyone even ask this? Why does it even matter if you are buying it for yourself or someone else?
    All that should matter to a seller is if you are buying it or not

WA7PRC likes this.
  5. W0HR

W0HR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was 14 when first licensed as a Novice in 1969, 15 as a General. Let me tell you, if the majority of hams back then, talked about the CARAP they talk about now (extremism politics, religion, the "bottom-feeders", etc, etc), especially on 75 mtrs, THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL I would have turned on an HF receiver a second time!!! (And even some FM freqs on 2 mtrs.) The real problem is, the old geezers (most of us) don't even know what bigotry is, much less 'sexism'.

WA8FOZ and KB0TT like this.
  6. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

A former coworker actually objected to me saying "good morning" to him. o_O

KF7PCL likes this.
  7. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, I guess you're right, we've all been living under rocks, oblivious to the world all our lives. Please don't paint all us old geezers with your foot wide paint brush. Speak only for yourself please. You that are ignorant of the issues are the worst kind.

WD0BCT likes this.
  8. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Come on Bonnie! We all know a woman in ham radio wouldn't be able to tell there's sexism in ham radio. We would need a man to determine that... :p

9. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

I knew there was something I liked about you! :) By the way, stow the ageist bull because I am older than you.

10. K6DS

K6DS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Quit whining and grow up! I guess you became a ham just so that you could complain and make, what you think, is a valid point. When in fact, it has NO bearing what-so-ever on the hobby as proven by the thousands of VERY successful ladies, many of which are more electronically advanced than many of us men. So, shut up and spin the dial!

KF7PCL likes this.
  11. WR2E

WR2E XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow... that's all... just wow... no issues in that shack!

K6DS and KF5RHI like this.
  12. KM4KGN

KM4KGN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They seem like "small insignificant situations"....because they were "small insignificant situations". Don't let over sensitivity ruin the hobby for you.

Generally very few women, of any age, show much of an interest in the hobby...and women your age are probably the rarest of the lot. Don't confuse our being caught off-guard and a little bewildered with being sexist...

KF7PCL likes this.
  13. VK2AKG

VK2AKG Ham Member QRZ Page

It's much better to use it to increase video blog traffic.

14. KB3HAK

KB3HAK Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't let it bother me. Congrats on passing the test. I think they were surprised that you aced the test. Besides people are always gonna have opinions. Don't let it bother you. Do what makes you happy.

KK6VLV and KF7PCL like this.
  15. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I posted a response on this topic not long after it was posted here on QRZ. But watching the video again and looking at all of the posted comments I feel now that the topic was inappropriate and inflammatory and not hamateur radio news. It seems that everywhere one goes today one get's pummeled by political correct victim hood thought processes.

And I suspect that if I had of posted a topic asking if young, intelligent, female hamateurs were insensitive and disrespectful towards older hamateurs the topic would not have been allowed to be posted.

I'm just saying.

K6DS likes this.