ad: k1jek

JT65 and JT9 are easier than ever

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K7CO, Sep 3, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K7CO

K7CO Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a video showing how easy it is to use JT9 and JT65 with a FlexRadio. Also shown in the video is a QRZ.com feature where QSOs are autmatically uploaded to the QRZ.com logbook.

KK4JTW, KD2PTM, WJ2L and 8 others like this.
  2. K5VOU

K5VOU Ham Member QRZ Page

is there a way to speed up and slow down the video playback?

3. WU5E

WU5E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

thank for making a nice vid

Jim
    WU5E

K4TNX and WB4HFR like this.
  4. W4FBI

W4FBI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks. Not sure I would call it "easy" though...

5. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I get CAT OK and it seems to key the 6300 every minute with no transmit or receive audio

6. KB3ZYN

KB3ZYN Ham Member QRZ Page

When playing the video, click on the little sprocket/gear icon in the footer on the right side("Settings"). There is a drop-down menu for "Speed" where you can set the multiple of 1x playback speed. You can also specify the resolution(depending on the video itself, of course).

7. K1OIK

Did not work for me, I could not get it to receive

8. KM9R

KM9R Ham Member QRZ Page

Burt ensure your computer clock is synchronized. This mode is highly time based and a station will not be able to decode received signals unless the computer being used is synced to the same time (tolerance is approx. +/- 1.5 sec). First close your wjst-x program. Click your clock icon on your desktop, select change date and settings, select internet time tab, select change settings, check the box synchronize with an internet server, select the server you want to use then select update now. Close those windows, reopen wjst-x. Select the band your rig is on from the window just beneath the "log qso" tab. For the flex 6300 select digu , select the 5k receive filter and increase the tx filter to 5k as well so you can utilize jt-9. Also you were tx mitting every minute because you had enable tx selected on wjst-x. Do not have that enabled unless you are ready to call cq or you are replying to a station that has called cq. On my flex I have the rf power slider to max and dax tx gain at max as well and vary my output power (normally 20w or less) via the power slider located on the right hand side of the wjst-x window. Hope that helps.

9. K1OIK

OK I see some stations If I click on a CQ what is next, what do I say?

10. KT6L

KT6L Ham Member QRZ Page

After 25+ years experience as a s/w developer with projects ranging from Bit-Slice to Main Frames and almost everything in between (last project was complex designs for FPGA and ASICs) I have to say this was discouraging, not easy to follow and would not call it "easy." Thanks for the presentation and the effort you put into it. I think it's important to follow the developments in technology and their applications to our hobby. You have a very impressive array of software. It's interesting that you can have your FLEX SDR emulate the Kenwood txcvr. 73

11. KM9R

KM9R Ham Member QRZ Page

Jt 65 to possibly your dismay is not a ragchew mode. It attempts to maximize technology to take advantage of poor band conditions or low tx power. Either or. It utilizes time dependence to look for stations to decode via audio tones and software. Having said all that to maximize efficiency, txmissions are limited to the equivalent of tweets on twitter if you are familiar. Your replies are limited to the standard list provided on the control panel that enables you to follow the standard protocol. 1 station cqs with their grid. You reply with your call and grid. Cqing station will reply to you (if they decode your reply) with your call and reception report. You reply with their call and reception report. They roger (RRR) your report. You then roger their report. The qso has ended. The last exchange can be modified with the free text segment ie rr10wdp73km9r.........translated roger reception report, I'm using 10w and a dipole 73 km9r. In a nutshell, it can seem as a very boring qso however you can get almost instantaneous feedback wrt band conditions and your station's performance by visiting http://www.pskreporter.info/ . Select the map display link near the top of the page. Enter your info and view all of the jt65 stations that have decoded your transmissions. This alone, inho, makes the mode a valuable tool. Sure reception reports can be made for other modes, but they do not have the number of active stations like jt65 currently has.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    K1OIK likes this.
  12. KM9R

KM9R Ham Member QRZ Page

I am at the opposite spectrum as you. Besides one year of fotran programming , I am 100% self taught wrt IT / software. 100% from a user standpoint and not the IT professional that you are. You are correct their software is very impressive and for me it was very intuitive. As a matter of fact, I do not think I have even opened up the pdf for SSDR. The program made perfect sense to me from the get go. The flex is not emulating a Kenwood per say however it does understand the transceiver commands for the ts2000. WJST-x is working on implementing commands specifically for the flexSS however they have not been completed as of yet. There seems to be a disagreement on who should perfect this task as far as I understand but am not certain about that. Also, while I did not watch this video, I think their main point was an external soundcard is not required to utilize the digital modes and this has been replaced by flex via software. This was not a major selling point for me wrt flex. I like my Microham digikeyerII. It is a solid piece of gear. Others however have displayed great disdain for external soundcards. I did however buy a FlexSS because they are leading edge technology, a US product and at the top of the list wrt some of the best rigs to own wrt performance.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  13. K1OIK

This PSK site is amazing, like ham big brother. Why does JT takes so long to do the exchange? It would seem it could do it all in 10 seconds. As far as signal reports what is better -1 or -15?

14. N0FPE

N0FPE Ham Member QRZ Page

JT65 QSo's are like watching paint dry.....boring..but at least you have time to hit the head and make a sandwich while the QSO is going on...

15. KM9R

KM9R Ham Member QRZ Page

Burt I am not exactly certain. It may be a combination of relatively slow data rate being repeated multiple times to ensure more reliable data transfer. As you can see, each exchange is 50 sec in duration with a 10 sec down time. There will be exchanges where there is no decode. There too beside just too poor reception, I do not know what else can cause that. I am guessing that there may be a check sum being run in the software meaning during txmission the sending station will send to the receiving station the total number of data points sent and if the receiving station does not receive all of those data points after multiple attempts within the 50 sec of repeated transmission then the message will not be decoded. But that is a guess.

You getting a report of -1db is better than a report of - 15db. You can see this visually on your panadapter as well. The brighter signals are @ the -1db range while the dimmer signals will be say -20 or greater. The weakest signal I have received has been -27db and another ham has mentioned the same on the reflector. To maximize your receive. set your agc-t to off agc-t slider to approx. 50, dax rx level approx. 20 then rx gain on the wjst-x window so that it reads 0 during the 10sec no transmission period. I gave you approx. figures because your local noise may be different than mine. The main goal is to open up your receive but at the same time still be able to set the wjst-x to zero with the slider in the wjst-x window.

Like n0fpe mentioned , it can be boring but at the same time you can acquire a lot of useful date and the psk reporter is also a useful tool to determine antenna efficiency, results from changes made to antennas etc. You will really like this part : ), as you know the reports that you receive are not subjective. The wjst-x user can manipulate the report sent by increasing or decreasing the number in the receive window but that can only be done during transmission. In other words, if you have enabled psk reporting w/in your wjst-x stettings under the reporting tab, then a report will be sent for all of the signals your station has received to psk reporter via the world wide webby. So there will be no way for a ham to amend those reports, unless they have some hacking skills. So all those reports you see displayed on psk reporter of other stations receiving your signal is great instantaneous feedback and not your much despised contest 59 or 599. Finally, and I am sure you are already aware of this w/ your qrp experience, not all receive stations are created equal. There are local hams here who have far better antennas than I do so don't assume my report for you will be -1db just because the local here with the superior antenna gave you a -1db. More than likely my report for you will be -15 or greater. It is unfortunately the best antenna that I can use at this time. Hopefully that will change in the future but at the same time a relative crappy antenna is better than no antenna.

K1OIK likes this.