ad: TinyPaddle-1

It Ain't Dead!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Jun 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Story, TU fer sharing.

PY2NEA likes this.
  2. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The only reason it's taught is for intelligence purposes, not because we actually use it in our military. There are still some 3rd world countries who don't have the means to actually get with the times and use other encrypted or digital radio networks.

W9AFB likes this.
  3. WK0P

WK0P Ham Member QRZ Page

The very recent WPX CW was rocking and rolling with Morse Code.

4. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Those who haven't learned to shoot analog film and develop it themselves are sure missing out.
    Those who don't grow their own food are sure missing out.
    Those who can't write their own applications in (insert coding language of choice) are sure missing out.

We all have different priorities and motivations. :)

Chris

K2NCC, N7KO and N3FAA like this.
  5. AA4MB

AA4MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's just plain bad form to reply in sending faster than the original station calling CQ, in my opinion. For what it's worth, I rarely hear that, though.

WN1MB likes this.
  6. AA4MB

I'm not a member of CWOPS, but take a listen in the band segments at the times indicated and judge for yourself. And the recent CW WPX was an absolute wall to wall pandemonium of CW signals. And I don't believe nearly as many folks are using a screen to decode it as you might think.

https://cwops.org/cwops-tests/

7. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

What is a straight keyer?

John K7FD

8. AA4MB

And if you look at the numbers ... REALLY look at them, you'll see that ham radio is "on its way out" as a major hobby, too. (I'm not talking about numbers of amateur radio licensees, either - a very poor means of gauging interest in our hobby) Yet, despite all of that you and (presumably) the rest of us persist in finding enjoyment in it. It's all a matter of perspective or, myopic vision for some when they start taking pot shots at modes 'on the way out' or other modes being 'the most popular.' I just thought I'd point that out, because it's quite akin the the 'on the way out' topics du jour re: CW, RTTY, SSB, etc.

9. AA4MB

What paying job requires SSB? FT8? FT4? RTTY? Obviously, none. The playing field is rather level here among all the modes, wouldn't we all agree? Ask nearly anyone - teenager up to mid 30s - to describe the "driving need" for ham radio itself. You'll get about the same answer as if you ask most CW enthusiasts about the same for Morse. (well, that's not really true ... mostly, you'll get a blank stare until you actually explain what ham radio is to them, because there are now a couple of generations who don't have the foggiest notion)

Really, everyone - there are more important topics other than CW being alive and well or not, depending upon your level of interest/non-interest in the mode. But, as someone explained to me a number of years ago, this is the Zed - and if you want to get something started just for fun, post your opinion and there will be plenty of people to to their best to attempt to shoot you down. In the end, it's much like politics and highly likely that nobody's opinions will be changed by anything anyone posts here, no matter how carefully crafted or wordsmithed.

10. K6BRN

K6BRN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Matt (AA4MB):

Ummmm... chief amateur radio architect for Yaesu products? (Icom, Kenwood...) That would include CW, I suppose! :)

Very true. And the O.P. started this thread, with a "hot" tag line for just that reason. It's just a forum for fun debate and to express opinions. Nothing wrong with that, I think. And much better if we just maintain respect for each other. Respect doesn't mean we have to agree.

No worries,Matt.

Brian - K6BRN

AA4MB likes this.
  11. A25SL

A25SL Ham Member QRZ Page

All valid and good comments, CW is....the ONLY way when else fails, besides voice and band conditions our CW are 80% more guaranteed to get the message over, unfortunate not everybody sees things that way. my 2c is.... CW should be Back in RAE as of immediate effect, ARRL and others are unknowingly drowning CW skills, by being lenient and easy for HAMS to obtain a call sign without CW. This post will mots probably kick my hind, but ...its the truth, we are loosing skilled operators day by day, because the world has internet so what's the problem?

12. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll skip polite and political correctness, and not tip toe through the egg shells: it's not "just plain bad form" - it's blatant inconsideration.

AA4MB and KG7VTO like this.
  13. W3BIG

W3BIG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What is great about our wonderful hobby is there is something for everyone.

There are different modes that embrace the older historical roots of radio like CW using Morse code to the presently modern digital modes like FT8. I use the phrase presently modern because the keyboard modes keep changing. When I was first licensed, I used computer generated RTTY and then was into PSK-31 for a few years. The past year or two I have made a lot of FT8 contacts due to poor band conditions. I also enjoy rag-chewing on phone. Even on phone there is the choice between SSB, AM or FM. I'm sure the folks running SSTV and ATV are also enjoying themselves as are the amateurs operating through satellites. VHFing and portable operating are a lot of fun and it's really satisfying to make DX contacts using QRP. As a novice licensee, I had CW QSOs with hams in over 50 countries using a Heathkit HW-8 with an output power of only 2-3 Watts. The technical aspects of our hobby have broad appeal to a lot of amateurs. Building and testing equipment from a kit or home-brewing from parts is so much fun. Antenna design and construction is incredibly rewarding as is researching propagation and understanding how our signals travel through the atmosphere.

There is literally something for everyone in amateur radio. None of our fascinating modes is out of date or dead. Turn on your rig and listen. Amateur radio is alive and well! We are at the bottom end of the solar cycle. Just wait until it picks up again. The bands will be popping...

73, DE W3BIG, Bob

N3FAA, W9AFB and WN1MB like this.
  14. EDDYSTONE

EDDYSTONE QRZ Member

[QUOTE="WN1MB, post: 5495274, member: 61592

Learning and using Morse is definitely a "crawl, walk, then run" process which requires humility, patience, and practice.
    And where better to learn and practice, to gain "key confidence" than on the internet, using CWCOM... "live QSO`s " world wide... for all information about the program, ( which I did not write, but support) can be had on my blogsite https://morsepower.blogspot.com/ which also contains information about downloading.. connecting a morse key to your laptop/computer, and special pages for LINUX and MAC users also.

15. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Which begs the question - how on Earth did folks manage to learn Morse code prior to the advent of personal computers and Al Gore inventing the Internet?

F8WBD and PY2NEA like this.