ad: Halibut-1

Issue #18: A Smart New Solid State Linear Amp from ACOM (Tiny!)

Discussion in 'Trials and Errors - Ham Life with an Amateur' started by W7DGJ, May 11, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I enjoyed reading your review. Quite pricey for an amp that apparently struggles to make 500 watts on 120V. I would have hoped to have seen a little extra headroom. Perhaps it performs better on 240V.

VK5OHR, N1RBD, W7DGJ and 1 other person like this.
  2. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

I agree. With my KPA500 I have seen over 500 watts several times, but usually run it at about 300.

But the KPA500 is heavier at 26 lbs and almost $2900. nowadays new.

120v is easy to find but not everyone has a 240 outlet easy to use.

I guess we can't have cheap and light at a low price, LOL. :)

W7DGJ and K2CD like this.
  3. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Agree on this . . . putting 240v into my shack will cost me between 3-4K. It has to come around a big patio to the other side of the house, buried at least 20" or something to make code. That's a bundle of labor and wire, for sure. Dave

4. W7DGJ

I think it would -- didn't test it on 240. The manufacturer mentioned that I should have thrown a few more watts into it to show it at or over 500W. I didn't do that because its manual states 25W. I have the feeling that even at 120v, it would have headroom if I had cranked to 30-35w from the exciter. Dave (betting that ACOM will change the manual to allow more than 25W at the high end).

K2HAT and K2CD like this.
  5. VE3TMT

VE3TMT Ham Member QRZ Page

Makes my FL-2100B look better and better every day. Not solid state, no 160 or WARC band coverage, but will do 500 all day long on 240V. Paid $400 CAD for it many years ago in mint condition. Mostly run it at 300 or 400 out to put less strain on the xcvr.

Would love a new solid state amp, but just not in the budget.

W9FL, AA7IS and W7DGJ like this.
  6. K4FBS

K4FBS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Dave,
    I appreciate your reviews
    73’s
    K4FBS

W7DGJ likes this.
  7. W7DGJ

THANKS and keep reading!

8. WO8USA

WO8USA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave, 2 notes for you.....
    1) I really didn't know what your column was, from the title it just looked like a slam against ham YouTubers which I get a lot from.....so I just didn't click in protest.
    2) today I did click as I was interested in the amplifier and discovered your REALLY GREAT STUFF! THANKS for writing, this is a needed part of radio. I'll read every article now, but I still think your title alienates some. IMHO only.

Please note, I'm not a big fan of the obvious YouTube channel loosely affiliated with ARRL You may get more like me without that phrase.....catchy graphic and now i know QUALITY CONTENT!! Please keep the Trial and Error coming! De Chris WO8USA

N1RBD and W7DGJ like this.
  9. W7DGJ

Thanks Chris. I'm a bit baffled though . . . the title of my column is "Trials and Errors -- Ham Life with an Amateur." QRZ populates their front page with links that come from other sources (many of them are on YouTube, people making funny faces into the camera while holding up a new Chinese radio). I think they were only trying to differentiate their OWN material, from countless other links. Thanks for your comments. Any suggestions on how to get more clicks on this section, if we take away the "No YouTube" mention that QRZ puts in there ahead of every article? Dave

N1RBD likes this.
  10. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Still not seeing any price or availability date;
    But this was on my Facebook feed today.

IMG_9711.jpeg

K0UO likes this.
  11. W7DGJ

Thanks Lee. Very surprising as I know its available internationally to dealers from ACOM. As I mentioned in my article, I thought they were $500-1000 overpriced when I got the retail price out of the buyer. Maybe they're in the process of thinking about it and we might see it lower cost, Dave

VK5OHR and K2HAT like this.
  12. OZ1JMN

OZ1JMN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello group

I just bought an Acom 500s, does anyone have experience with a noisy fan?

The fan runs all the time from start-up also on standby, the temperature bar has 9 dots on start-up, the radio room temp. is 25c

73 oz1jmn Allan

13. VK5OHR

VK5OHR Ham Member QRZ Page

$5,000 AUD! (4,982.54)

$10.00 per watt!!! :mad:

[​IMG]

W7DGJ and W9FL like this.
  14. W7DGJ

Hi Allan, the same PS is used in other amps, and it is has a small fan in it. What you are hearing is not the main fan in the 500, but the aux fan in the Power Supply. You'll need to buy one of those in-circuit switches to shut off all power to the 500s if that is annoying to you. If you are on lower voltage (ie, our 110v in USA) than they are cheap and easy to get, under $10. If you are on 240v, the same idea applies . . . shut off power to the amp. The PS fan is rated for tens of thousands of hours, it won't be trouble for you. Just makes a sound, that's all . . . .Dave, W7DGJ

15. W7DGJ

Remarkable . . . at $10 a watt? Why is this amp so expensive? I don't "get" it. If other brands charged the same as in this case, than a Mercury IIIS would be a $12000 AUD amplifier. Not logical. Dave

VK5OHR likes this.