ad: Radclub22-1

Issue #18: A Smart New Solid State Linear Amp from ACOM (Tiny!)

Discussion in 'Trials and Errors - Ham Life with an Amateur' started by W7DGJ, May 11, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Please join our discussion about the ACOM or any other amplifier you'd like to discuss. Pass along your comments, suggestions and tips to other hams, and the author of the article. If you haven't yet seen this column, it's at this link.

K2CD likes this.
  2. AA3C

AA3C XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ouch, to me, that's quite a chunk of change for only 500w and no internal tuner, even for solid state.

K0UO and AA7IS like this.
  3. W7DGJ

Rick, I agree. There's something going on with the pricing that I'm not clear on . . . it's much less expensive elsewhere. I think it's a DX Engineering question. They'll price it out of the market if they don't watch out. It's a fine quality product, with advanced features. The "watts per buck" factor is a bit out of whack here in the USA. Dave

K2HAT likes this.
  4. N8RKD

N8RKD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm unable to view that page. "Page not found"

5. W7DGJ

I have the same problem, just this afternoon. IT is looking at it. I hope you'll please come back soon and try again Kent, Dave

6. W3TKB

W3TKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave: can you use a "currency exchange" calculator to determine what the price in US dollars is in these other "less expensive" countries? I'd be curious to know by what percentage DXE's price is over theirs; ie...20% more, 30%, etc? I also wonder if some of that price increase has anything to do with US import tax and/or tarrifs on foreign imports? I'll admit I've had my eye on the ACOM 700S for a while, but I'm going to have to get lucky with a scratch-off lotto ticket or two before one graces my desk! 73.

7. W7DGJ

Thanks for asking. The difference is close to $500. It's a DXE matter -- they set the price in the States. Ask your DXE sales rep! I think it is an issue that ACOM needs more competition in the USA.

W3TKB likes this.
  8. WA1ZJL

WA1ZJL Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately any gear I've looked at had DXE to be the highest price

PY2NEA and W3TKB like this.
  9. KC6FLG

KC6FLG Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave thanks for putting the time and effort to write these articles. It is really refreshing. Blabbermouth on utube is so worn out. There are some well done utube, but most of it is totally worthless.

Nice Amps. Acom has some well developed products that seem to be very reliable.
    When I was young and immature I used to complain about high prices until an old man who was mentoring me said to me "Can you build it yourself for less?" and almost always the answer was no. I can't build anything like it and have the feature set and reliability that it has for the offering price. Building it myself would cost me 10 times the amount after all the time and failed prototypes. I don't even know if I could successfully do it. I don't have the life force to put in the time and energy to figure out out how to do it. I don't want to build one one. I want to operate and if I want what that amp has to offer then it is either worth it to me or not. It would be a great off grid and/or portable amp. I would be very interested in one of these and it would be worth it for my station.

73 de KC6FLG

K2HAT and W7DGJ like this.
  10. W7DGJ

Thanks Kevin!

11. K7GQ

K7GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You wrote: "One odd first warning about "High power coming too early" popped up a couple of times and I'm still trying to figure that one out"

Easily solved changing the TX-Delay to 10ms or more.

K9UR and W7DGJ like this.
  12. W7DGJ

Thanks Harry! I sent the unit on to Hamvention and the DXE booth by fedex, so it's out of my hands now. But I am sure what you're suggesting would do the trick -- makes sense. Appreciate the help for readers as well, Dave

13. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For a little over 5 grand you can get a B26-PA RF2K-S HF dual LDMOS with 189s, and a built in high quality antenna tuner.
    The

PY2NEA, K9UR and W7DGJ like this.
  14. W7DGJ

Thanks Steve. Some people gripe about that built-in tuner, but that's a good amp. So's the Mercury LUX, reviewed in these pages. Dave

15. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Owning an Elecraft KPA500 amplifier for years;
    { that doesn't care what antenna tuner is used } it seems the main advantage to this higher price Acom is it weighs less.

With the KPA500 I can and have bought 120v and 240v power cords and fuses.

No thanks not for me. I chase DX at home anyway, don't need ultra light weight stuff.

73 K2HAT

upload_2023-5-13_21-1-30.png

W7DGJ likes this.