ad: MyersEng-1

Is there a way to search someone's QRZ LOGBOOK?

Discussion in 'QRZ Site Community Help Center' started by WG5G, Aug 17, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WG5G

WG5G Ham Member QRZ Page

I've worked a dx station multiple times but he refuses to confirm our QSO.

When I email him he say's I'm ok in his log, I noticed he doesn't seem to have the gold star next to any of
    the callsigns that are displayed.

Is there a way to search his log for our QSO's?

Tnx Dan WG5G

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I can answer that for you Dan. No there is no way you can do that. Only the last 15 contacts are visible in the user's log on their Bio page.

If you want to know something about a QSO you had, you can email or PM the person.

But there's no way to search someone else's log

Dave
    W7UUU

JA6XZS and K0UO like this.
  3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

why is that? what is the threat?

we wondered about exactly this yesterday. recently we ran an event under a shared call. the participants wanted to look through the shared call log. only the call's log manager could see the full log.

what is being saved here?

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

It's the way QRZ set it up from day one - just like LoTW, ClubLog, HRDlog, etc. It's called "double blind" - I can't see your info, you can't see mine.

Nothing remotely new in the idea of "my log is private". If you want totally open logging, where you can just make up confirmations all day long, try eQSL. It's not a double-blind system - and that's why neither LoTW nor QRZ will accept "confirmations" from eQSL.

Either your data matches mine or it doesn't and there's no confirmation. You can't cheat by searching my log for "when we worked, on which band, and which mode" just to get a confirmation because you either didn't log it, or you logged it wrong.

That's why

Dave
    W7UUU

JA6XZS, GM7TFN, K0UO and 1 other person like this.
  5. K6CLS

hmmm... yeah, I guess... meanwhile we'll break security by sharing passwords for the calls...

6. W7UUU

Huh? Why are you sharing your passwords? I have never done that - I'm not sure even what you're suggesting.

Dave
    W7UUU

K0UO likes this.
  7. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Logs are private
    Most people will put comments in those logs.
    Those don't need to be shared with everyone, sometimes/particularly, the person that's wanting to look it up.... .. HI

Confirmation is automatic on QRZ.
    If they log you and you log them, why do you need to look them up anyway? If you logged them also, it'll show an automatic confirmation on QRZ, that's the great thing about using the QRZ logger.

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" miles of wire in the Air & On the AIR daily

8. WG5G

WG5G Ham Member QRZ Page

Tnx for the info Dave, 73 Dan WG5G

9. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If he's a Clublog user, you might be able to search there to see if you're in the log.

10. WG5G

WG5G Ham Member QRZ Page

It's V85T QSL direct only no clublog or LOTW, but he does use the QRZ.COM log, I think what he does is confirm you on QRZ.COM log after you send him a card, I've seen other user's doing this.
    Tnx Dan WG5G

W7UUU likes this.
  11. W7UUU

Actually, the way it works on ClubLog is this: you can look up the call sign you know you worked, and sure enough it will show that you did - but it won't provide the details! It's still "double blind" but at least says you're barking up the right tree...

See below - I have that exact situation right now: ClubLog says I worked 7Q7EMH on four bands, but somehow I messed something up for the 20m contact and I do not have the details so I can't create the confirmation! It even tells me it was in 2023 and was on FT8 ... but for whatever reason my system glitched and didn't record the details properly. I'm going to email them and plead my case - and see if they can help me out....

It's a clever system ClubLog uses - but frustrating in cases like mine, where you can see there is the contact, but you cannot confirm it LOL!

Dave
    W7UUU

7Q7EMH.png

N3RYB likes this.
  12. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it not possible for the call's log manager to save a copy of the log and email it to the participants or post it on the event or club website?

W7UUU likes this.
  13. WG5G

WG5G Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave, you should be able to go to your FT8 ALL file & find your 20m QSO details there, Dan WG5G

14. K6CLS

Yeah, that would work, too, sort of. I would have just emailed the adif but that's not very readable for the OMs.

Now I understand the issue of faking QSOs so I see why the no poking around rule. I just don't think about cheats. Not clever that way.

15. W7UUU

That's the approach I'm taking. Alas, I always forget about renaming old "ALL.txt" and starting new ones - and the ALL.txt file that contains the QSO is 1.6 GIGAbytes of text data!! It's too much even on a very high power machine. It chokes Word, Excel, Google Docs and Sheets as well as Open Office.

So I broke it down into 14 files each 100mb long using a freeware program. But even at 100mb file size, it's still slow as molasses to search. So I'm going break it down into 25mb files and try searching those. It's AMAZING how much data WSJT-X produces and stores in that file!!

Moral of the story folks: if you run FT8 very often at all, think about renaming the ALL.txt file every few months. You don't ever have to worry about creating a new one - WSJT-X will just generate a new ALL.txt the first time it tries to write to the file and finds it missing. That way, should you ever need to do as I need, and find a QSO you worked but it failed to log, you can search the file much more easily.

Dave
    W7UUU