ad: hrd-2

Is 7O6T operation legitimate?

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions and Special Events' started by 4X1UN, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately with DXpeditions and DXing, politics DO play into it.

And ARRL really has no control over what nation states allow or do not allow.

I really don't know why anyone is surprised about this. Some countries simply do not recognize Israel in any shape, way, form or fashion. If you travel to those countries with an israeli entry visa in your passport, you will likely be turned away. That in itself is sad, but ARRL has no power over this.

2. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Albeit illegal, it would be interesting to make a contact with them and ask them to "correct" the call with a 4X prefix.

As to "this has nothing to do with whether or not the operation is "legitimate." If they have a license from the Government of Yemen, as they say they do, they are legit."

That has been stated already. What it has everything to do with is how or more importantly, if we support and encourage this behavior by the DXAC creating the incentive for people to go there with the anticipation of DXCC approval for their operation. Begs the question what is more important here.

3. K8WHB

K8WHB Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard that same commotion down below us on the Brothers Net on 7.191. I have nothing against contesters & DX chasers, but some of them qualify to have their picture placed next to the definition of LID.

As to Yemen. I'm not surprised in the least that the operation was told by the Yemen government not to contact hams in Israel. Yemen has an Islamist government that has a pathological hatred for Jews & Israel. Many Muslim governments have either an official or an "unofficial but well know by the locals" prohibition on contacting Israeli stations. A friend of mine in the USAF told me he was told when he was in Saudi Arabia that their military recreation station was not allowed to contact Israeli stations at the request of the Saudi government.

It is one thing to have a "banned" list that includes countries you are at war with (example: the US prohibition against the People's Republic of Vietnam AKA North Vietnam during the Vietnam War) but it is quite another thing to ban a country because of racial or ethnic hatred. In those sorts of cases (like what appears to be the case with Yemen & this expedition) the ARRL should disallow this expedition for DXCC or any other award credit. The ARRL should have no part in rewarding such behaviour by Yemen or any other government.

Today I will send the ARRL an email stating to them what I've just said above.

4. K0SAV

K0SAV Ham Member QRZ Page

It's very sad isn't it? Not every ham in the world is lucky enough to live in a democracy, but ham radio can be an instrument of good will that goes beyond boundries. People need to understand the difference between oppressive governments and the people that are forced to live under them. Unfortunately, there are plenty of bigots and haters in the ham radio community that aren't ashamed to show their true colors in these forums. It's perfectly alright to make a list of their callsigns and refuse to have a QSO with them!

5. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Good for the goose, good for the gander.

You could have moved your net a few Kc up as you expected them to move away from you, instead of shutting it down. :confused:

6. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

7. W4ALS

W4ALS Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the ARRL needs to have a clear and objective policy. At one time countries at war were justifiably concerned about spies using the radio spectrum to pass intelligence, but there are far more practical means today. Nonetheless, having a policy that disqualifies a station or a country from being a qualified contact if a segment of the ham community is intentionally disfavored is rational. DXCC Honor Roll means nothing if only Swiss hams can obtain elusive QSLs.

The ARRL doesn't have to examine the motivation behind the disparate treatment--it only has to acknowledge that it has occurred, and recognize that having a level playing field where success depends on skill and effectiveness rather than your prefix is paramount.

And the next time I'm in Oregon I plan on having a full and frank exchange of views with k2ncc.

8. SM0O

SM0O Ham Member QRZ Page

Question; is US nets and US national limitations in frequency use to be considered LAW for the rest of the world ?

Should all other Ham's globally first check every US ham club's homepage for info before embarking on any DXpedition
    or starting any QSO what so ever ? Maybe, just maybe, the requests to move off your net's QRG was not heard in Yemen
    by the DXpedition? The conditions the last 3 days has been terrible for any contacts from my QTH to the US on all bands,
    maybe this has been the case from other parts of the world as well ?

USA is not almighty in this or any other case, and should show the same courtesy as everybody else on the air and towards
    fellow hams world wide as they want to receive!

Best 73 de Christian SM0O

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

That's all well and good, but your government may take exception to that. As Amateurs, we have agreed to abide by the rules and regulations of our FCC, your OFCOM, etc. To do otherwise jeopardizes our Amateur license. At least here in the U.S. we do not have the option of following only the FCC rules with which we agree, and ignoring the rules with which we disagree. Society in general requires citizens to obey at least a minimum of rules, or we cease to be a society. YMMV.l

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Then you are actually injecting politics into Amateur Radio. If a "Dxpedition" travels to a country, is that any different than if that country has it's own operators? The DXpedition MUST obey the same rules as the indigent operators.

By your logic, you are saying that the ARRL would have to "blacklist" entirely certain countries from their list. What could be more political IN Amateur Radio than that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.