ad: chuckmartin

Interfering with Declared Emergency Frequencies

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NA4IT, Oct 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K2GW

K2GW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just to let you know where the FCC stands on interfering with emergency nets, here's a recent FCC enforcement letter concerning the subject:

October 8, 2002

Mr. Merle W. Garbe
    8429 S Turkey Creek Road
    Morrison, CO 80465

RE: Amateur Radio license W0SBE
    Case #EB-2001-445
    Dear Mr. Garbe:

Enclosed is a complaint filed with the Commission indicating that on October 3, 2002, at approximately 2015 Coordinated Universal Time, you interfered with the Hurricane Watch Net on 14.325 MHz during its Hurricane Isidore activation. At first refusing to share the frequency with the Net, you apparently moved a net of your own, the "Sunlighter Holiday Hams," to an adjacent frequency that continued to adversely affect the net operations.

The Hurricane Watch Net is operated to assist the National Hurricane Center in Miami, Florida and all governmental entities and persons in a target area of a hurricane system. Such operation by the Hurricane Watch Net is one of the most important purposes of the Amateur radio Service as set out in Part 97 of the rules.

Section 308(b) of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended, gives the Commission the authority to obtain information from licensees about the operation of their station. Accordingly, you are requested to respond to this complaint within 20 days of receipt of this letter. The information you provide will be used to determine what action to take in this matter. You may call me at 717-338-2502 if you have any questions about this matter.

I guess if anyone is still unclear about the need for stations to stay clear of emergency operations, they can discuss it with Riley Hollingsworth at the above phone number.  ;-)

Gary, K2GW

2. K5EMS

K5EMS Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]   I agree with the spread and keeping up with the latest FCC Emergency allocations.   We were suppost to be in New Iberia LA the night that LiLi hit.   We were in our 5th wheel, and stayed a couple of extra night s in Paris TX -- just to stay out of the path.  
    I monitored the Emergency Nets about 2 days with a feeling that it was worthless.   I wanted to get on and ask for some information, but from what I heard, no one would have wanted to call them for any support.   We heard several Net Controls just give callers 'HELL' about calling in ... "this was an emergency net just for governmental contacts and local emergencies", which some who called really were.   All that took place on the Emergency Net was Net Controls giving out the parameters of the Net and called for any replies from EM's, Red Cross, Salvation Army, etc.   To which very, very few replied.  
    My wife mentioned that she would not have wanted to call in, even if she had traffic which met their limited criteria.   Amature Radio was very poorly represented by this so called 'Emergency Net'

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Zoky, (9A3HP)

I'm afraid I have to respectfully disagree. I don't think Amateur Radio "branched out" from Professional radio. I'm sure it was (mostly) from non-professional experimenters who got on the air long before licenses were granted. (At least here in the U.S.)
    But that's a bit off subject. The point trying to be made was interference to a declared frequency to be used ONLY by stations handling traffic directly related to the emergency, and the guard frequencies.
    Agreed, not all operators can or do check if an emergency frequency has been declared (by the FCC in the U.S.) but upon being informed, regulations and Good Operating Practice require them to change frequency. If they operate outside the "guard frequencies," typically +/- 3 kHz, and are still causing interference, Good Operating Practice, and common courtesy would dictate that they move further away, and/or reduce power. (I oftern run into stations giving each other 40+ signal reports, bragging about their 1500 Watt amplifiers. They have no business running an amp if that's a true signal report; barefoot they'd STILL be at least 20+&#33[​IMG] Reduced power would do a LOT to reduce QRM and splatter on our bands.
    I hope to work you one day soon.
    Larry WA9SVD

Larry

4. 9A3HP

9A3HP Guest

hi Larry  
    i  do  not  want  say  than  we  become   from  profesional  communication  , only.  Also  pioneers   of  any  radio communication  has not  difference  between  hobbie   and  job.  In  many  case  amateur  radio  operator  improve  something  what  in  proffesional  use  cannot work  enough  good.  For  instance   first  HAM  radio  frequency   are  established  on  short wave. Because  authorithy   mean  that  this  frequency  cannot  use (becuse  they  do   not  know  nothing  about  ionosferic  reflection). In  this  time  radio  contact  is only  possible  with highpower transmitters  and  big  antena on  frequencies  below  2 MHz. After   first  oversea  radio  contact(made  by  HAM  radio small power)  profesional  frequency  occupied  short wave.  And  HAM  radio  have  only  rectricted  bands(look like   harmonic  3,5MHz  7MHz  14MHz  21MHz)  and  all  VHF  spectar  of   frequency.  After  HAM  radio   operators   prove  VHF  spectar  like  something  wery good  for  use,  proffesional  communication  occupied  also  VHF.
     Now  we  have  in all  world   amateur  frequency  near  proffesional  and also   ,  emergency  net  ,  but  many  people  does  not  respect  this.   Also  i  think  that  working  with  high  power   is not real  hobby. Especially  if  this  make  problem  to  other  HAM  or  proffesional  radio.  
     I  do  not  need  more  than  15w .  My  licence   provide  much more  but  i  do  not  like.  Some  , what  i  cannot  hear  cant  work  and  high  power  make  trouble.(Including  also  TVI  or  other  interference)

Larry i  hope  meet  you  on  short   wave [​IMG] , my  prefered  frequency  is  14,050 MHz

Zoky     9A3HP

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi (KB6OXZ)
    It shouldn't be a problem. If you can't be heard by the emergency net, then it's not a problem, really. The biggest problem, as I percieve it, is when am emergency IS declared by the FCC, and operators refuse to move frequency to prevent interference. The nets are not just to handle emergency traffic, but to be available if emergency traffic needs to be handled, as quickly as possible. (It's sort of like an insurance policy, or fire sprinklers. You hope you don't need it, but if you do, it's there.)
    If a station is informed that they are on or interfering with an FCC declared emergency, then they are in violation of FCC rules and should be reported.
    And no, the FCC can't designate a single frequency for emergency use. How would a single frequency (or set of frequencies) helf if there were a major earthquake in Alaska, wild fires in California, Arizona and Colorado, Tornados on Kansas, and a Hurricane in Texas/Missippi/Alabama/Florida/Loiusiana/etc.?
    Each of these would need a different Emergency Net frequency. A station in a California wild fire net contacting a station in hurricane ravaged Louisiana could
    do little good other than saying "send some of that rain out our way..."
    Ultimately, the solution is listen, Listen, LISTEN.

6. 9A3HP

9A3HP Guest

Agree   with  you  Larry   ,  and  because  i  say   that  listening  important  in  HAM radio  hobbie.  I  am  listening short  time, [​IMG]  only  15  years  before  my  first  CQ .
     In  this  time  i  learn  many  thing  about  radio  traffic(not  only  HAM). I  see  important  knowlege  in  our  hobbies.  Also  HAM  radio  operators  must  prevent  any  possible  interference   and  help  if   some  of  authority  ask.
     We  are  the  human or maybe not?!?

9A3HP   Zoky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.