ad: ProAudio-1

Inside the ARRL with CEO David Minster NA2AA

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, Jul 16, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

IMO--

ARRL is at a cross roads, where the donors are heaped at a terminal demographic, while the bulk of potential members are of a very different point of view to those donors. Navigating that is not easy. Mix in further 'social ' issues, and its pretty easy to see that the ARRL doesn't always exude the the 'fun' it wants all hams to share.

The fact remains that while a vast majority of US hams are not ARRL members, they represent a cadre of either silent and dormant voices and special interest non profits.

That can't be easy for any ARRL CEO.

W0FS and K9SS like this.
  2. K8BB

K8BB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh my…

K9SS likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That makes no sense Ria. It's not 'represntation by volunteer'. Its 'employee' and 'leadership'. That what gets biz cards.

A business card is a prima facie document of employee or leadership affiliation. That means the organizations takes major legal responsibilities for that individual. Given the fact that this is a volunteer, ARRL, like ALL non profits, has to limit is potential liability. That is why they don't get business cards: they are not employees of the 'business'.

You make it sounds like Dave is being arbitrary and capricious on this issue. I see no evidence for that.

K9SS, W5OV, N3RYB and 1 other person like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Wasn't clear to other readers. I think Dave's response was helpful and fair.

W0FS, K9SS and W5OV like this.
  5. W2SUR

W2SUR Ham Member QRZ Page

As a relatively new amateur radio operator, I enjoy many facets of the hobby. getting info from the head of the organization is great sometimes you never hear from these guys or gals. so its nice seeing where they are coming from in an interview such as this is a treat .

K9SS, NC4A, W1DED and 3 others like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ria,

IMO--

I think you overvalue your presence in present ARRL affairs. You left voluntarily and it looks like the chapter is closed.

Why would Dave need to revisit closed actions? He is paid to move forward.

It is fatuous to believe anyone can cancel you, Ria. Take the compliment and move on, as you have.

W0FS and K9SS like this.
  7. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh horse apples. Anyone can print a business sized card for anything.

K9SS likes this.
  8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Call it what you like "business card" in this instance is a somewhat generic term. If you are a duly elected ARRL volunteer Director/Vice Director you DO represent your constituents to the ARRL and the ARRL to your constituents.

Check page 15 of August 23 QST which groups together all Officers, Staff and Division Directors/Vice Directors on one page. They are not separated.
    (heading page 15)"As an ARRL member, you elect the Director and Vice Director who represent your Division on ARRL policy matters. If you have a question or comment about ARRL polices, contact your representatives listed below."

It's absolutely ludicrous to suggest they should not be permitted to have a written document to hand out indicating who they are and who they represent. As to the ridiculous notion that some liability may result from making such information available fails to recognize that some liability may incur "business card" or no card by virtue of being a ARRL representative.

W0FS, K9SS and K5YDD like this.
  9. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, @K3XR, the Vice Admiral Commander Section Leads Volunteers Assistant-to-the-Regional-Manager do get the little ARRL plastic name tags! :D Once again proving that hammies take the ham radio hobby way too seriously; IMO.

K9SS likes this.
  10. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Decent interview.

He was not pressed on any issues, almost a softball type interview to my dismay, but the man articulated himself well. I didn’t agree with everything he said, but he seemed sincere in his convictions…..I can respect that.

We’ll see what the future holds for him going forward.

AE5GT, W0FS, K9SS and 2 others like this.
  11. W0JKT

W0JKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Please no! it was discussed in huge detail here a few months ago and you also should consider ARRL's explanation of the events such as publishing the competing guide.

K9SS and KQ1V like this.
  12. K5YDD

K5YDD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Please feel free to ignore the thread.

K9SS, N2RJ, K3XR and 1 other person like this.
  13. W0JKT

W0JKT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing wrong with the tread but wonder if we need to relive the Ria controversy yet again here.

K9SS, W5OV, W2XX and 1 other person like this.
  14. K5YDD

K5YDD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think any insight, observations, and critiques a past Director may have would be interesting to hear.

N2RJ and KQ1V like this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave is paid to move the organization forward on behalf of the membership and as representation of Part 97 licensees in general.

Where that direction is heading and how it intends to get there is the issue at hand. I don't want to live vicariously through someone else's past disputes. Why should you? Or anyone?

W0FS and W0JKT like this.