ad: CQMM-1

Inside the ARRL with CEO David Minster NA2AA

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, Jul 16, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I'm late to the thread.

YouTube also attempts to auto-generate closed captions for many videos, and transcriptions of closed captions (either AI-generated or creator-provided) are frequently available. I've attached a couple of screen grabs to show how to access the transcription, and what it looks like.

The AI-generated captions aren't perfect....but they're frequently good enough.

Someone on the 'zed brought them to my attention several years ago, when I remarked that I much preferred skimming through text when looking for information, rather than impatiently waiting for a video to get around to possibly providing the information I seek.

Hopefully, this comment will help make this technique known to a few more folks who might have similar preferences.

Attached Files:

W1DED, WA3VJB and W1VT like this.
  2. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Be a licensed hammy (and I am not even sure that is a requirement... certainly not a qualification) and enjoy a HOBBY? :rolleyes:

The DRAMA! The DRAMA!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2023
  3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yet you are here posting your opinions, though you aren’t on the ARRL BOD, nor hold any position with them that I’m aware of. Why do we need to know your views? What’s good for the goose…

K3RW, K3XR, KQ1V and 1 other person like this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope. I am not on the board nor care to be.

I read this thread to fnd out how the ARRL is moving forward with the CEO. I didn't come here to see public statements that mayy amount to libel and are diversions from the topic.

What did YOU come to thread for? Why were your expectations DIFFERENT from that--based on the siubject and TITLE of the thread??

W0FS likes this.
  5. W9YW

W9YW Moderator Emeritus QRZ Page

We try to treat all posters equally. @W1YW's qualifications shouldn't be at issue here. Chip's contributions to technology are pretty well-known.

This said, could we PLEASE keep this thread about the interview, and not a catch-all bucket for every opinion about how the ARRL does things? Let us stand down from criticizing each other, and get on with the thread topic at hand.

73 Tom W9YW

K1OIK, W0FS, W5OV and 4 others like this.
  6. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The qualifications are ARRL membership for four years prior (with no breaks), age 21+, no conflicts of interest as defined by-law 46 and a valid amateur radio license.

W0FS likes this.
  7. N2RJ

It isn’t libel if it’s true.

NK2U likes this.
  8. N2RJ

No thanks. I did it once, that was enough. I’ll be at Dayton and possibly hamcation.

K0UO likes this.
  9. N2RJ

Read the minutes of the next two board meetings.

Personally I want a CEO who does exactly what you said - execute the direction of the Board. Based on the current governance climate I simply don’t see that happening.

Simple things like not following standing orders (passed by the Board) were a feature of the CEO’s tenure. So already he’s not doing what you want him to do.

AB2RA and NK2U like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You will be missed. Truly.

I hope you had a chance, at Dayton, to meet some of the folks that used your book:)

Sometimes it takes a while to get that praise. For example, many years ago I wrote a book called 'Gravity's Lens'. Years later, many young people who read it--some now astronomers-- were astonished and happy to see I am still alive;-) A few asked me if I was the son of the author...

Yeh, Nathan Jr....

Heheh!

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

What is the half-life of an ARRL CEO post- K1ZZ??

I hope Dave grows into the position and works at a more stable and happy ARRL. There's a lot of great things that the ARRL has done and does. It IS a pity that it didn't work out for you:-(

Onward!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2023
    W5OV likes this.
  12. N2RJ

Oh I’ll be fine. It’s the members and the health of the league you need to be worried about.

A more unstable ARRL and definitely not a happy one will be under David’s watch. The most telling signs are from former, very dedicated staffers, some of whom reached out to me during my tenure. It wasn’t pretty what they had to say. I hope it can be rectified.

As for Sumner, well let’s just say that the board members I’ve spoken to who were there when he was general manager (and later CEO) did have a lot to say.

AB2RA, K0IDT, NK2U and 3 others like this.
  13. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Some relevance to Ex Parte visits by the "Exec Committee" to the FCC sans the Board-approved Band Plan and resolution of 16-239? Perhaps he has strong support from a small cadre of co-conspirators.

14. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Whatever happened to the old phrase "actions (or the lack thereof) speak louder than words?

W9YW and KQ1V like this.
  15. K7EA

K7EA Ham Member QRZ Page

This guy is the real deal, and listening to the invu erases about 50 qrz.com threads worth of mis information and guess work.

And W1DEDInMaine channel! New to me, Kevin is probably the best ham content interviewer going. No nonsense and ego, let's the guest talk. A pro.

Kudos to both of these guys

W5OV, K8BZ and W0JKT like this.