ad: k1jek

Innovations by Radio Amateurs - Pentagon scientists successfully test solar panel in space

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Feb 24, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a little frazzled by all this--it really was a shock to my family to see my work credited on CNN to someone else-- so I want to give it a few days before I comment further.

I've had almost 25 years to think about how aperture engines can be used, and its a very interesting list.

Thanks for putting the paper up. Some may be interested in the allusion to the use of aperture engines to SETI. The conclusion is fascinating, because it says that a moderate sized solar farm, if replaced with aperture engines, can be used as a transmission 'beacon' that can be detected across much of Milky Way. We, for example, could do it now if we wanted to.

You don't need to be super-advanced to make the LONGEST QSO....

In any case, this paper is the first place that a "sandwich module" concept is disclosed, more aptly and 'source' named as an "aperture engine". It is defined generally in this 1998 paper-- and not uniquely to SETI.

The satellite application is disclosed in the patent(s) and dates to 2009.

Chip W1YW

M1WML and AC0OB like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

HAHAHAHA!

I am NOT Hiram Percy Maxim :)!

Try W1 Y W :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    M1WML and W0PV like this.
  3. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know about this particular case, but over the years I've observed a general decline in the studiousness of background literature searching.

I've been there, myself. A few times. Didn't make CNN, but still peeved me off.

M1WML likes this.
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have high respect for the NRL. It is important at this stage not to confuse possible oversight by individuals, with an institutional policy. I even respect retired NRL folks:)!

I note that the "sandwich module" was a thesis topic, at least in part, for Paul Jaffe, long after 1998.

I can imagine several reasonable ways in which this problem could be resolved. The next step is theirs.

M1WML likes this.
  5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

OOF-DA! :eek: My bad. Been a busy a.m. o_O

Even the Empire shows respect for W1 ...

[​IMG]

M1WML and W1YW like this.
  6. KL7KN

KL7KN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ground demonstration testing of microwave wireless power transmission
    https://www.kenkai.jaxa.jp/eng/research/ssps/150301.html

[​IMG]

solar powersatsystems were a thing quite a while ago. Japanese spent some real coin on testing. I've just linked one site/test.

These were a thing until someone figured out the microwaves from space = directed energy weapon...

Even shows up in SciFi books
    https://www.amazon.com/Daddys-Girl-D-K-Richardson-ebook/dp/B08BKWS91X
    "The powersats envisioned the last Century, were, IMO, doomed from the start. Not for the lack of technology or even the space to site the RECTENAs on the ground. I believe the effort was spiked because they could easily (too easily) be turned into Directed Energy Weapons and used against humans. They represent to me just one of the many double-edged 'swords' of Technology.
    The directed power as used in this story is a form of the MASER (Microwave Amplification thru Simulated Emission of Radiation)which we see defined as "a device using the stimulated emission of radiation by excited atoms to amplify or generate coherent monochromatic electromagnetic radiation in the microwave range". MASER technology preceded the LASER by quite some time. They were a hot item in the news in 1953, so by now fall into the 'old technology/never heard of it' realm. "

M1WML likes this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. 2015.

Pretty crappy weapon. Energy density at target not high enough from space.

Published in 2020.

Hi Don,

There are many interesting attempts to deal with power transmission from space, and certainly the idea of using satellites to transmit power is almost 50 years old.

What is new, and which is why there is a international media pickup, is the merger of
    'solar' with 'antenna' on the same aperture (
    in this case for the power transmission from space), with an appropriate 'sandwich'. That work dates back to 1998 (see post 7). That is what Paul Jaffe and crew had put up into space (see post 9). This solution, whereby one looks at efficiencies as defined by the APERTURE, is an important and enabling aspect unique to an aperture engine, in this case used by the PRAM.

Chip W1YW

M1WML likes this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

In itself it is not workable.

However, a laser can have its-- de-collimation through the atmosphere-- mitigated , if simultaneously fired with a strong microwave beam at 22 GHz at the same spot. There is a spectral 'water line' at 1.35 cm wavelength.

Won't work through cloud cover.

Like I said: I had many years to consider the issues.

I don't do weapons.

M1WML likes this.
  9. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

CHIP

CONGRATS.jpg

=== HATS OFF.jpg

73 ES HAVE A FUN FILLED WEEKEND

K1LKP

M1WML and W1YW like this.
  10. KE0PUQ

KE0PUQ Ham Member QRZ Page