Icom IC-7300 WSJT/FT8 Setup (Easy and Simple)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Jun 6, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Got a Icom IC-7300 you want to use on digital? I will show you exactly how to setup your Icom IC-7300 for use with WSJT-X and other digital modes such as FT8.
    These are my settings on my radio that work perfectly for WSJT-X.

CX3ABD, ON8EI, 2E0WSJ and 16 others like this.
  2. W8IJC

W8IJC Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video, I really need an IC-7300.

73 de W8IJC

VK7HH likes this.
  3. K9GLS

K9GLS Ham Member QRZ Page

No dog in the fight but doesn't the new 1.4 firmware have a preset for FT8?

K0WJ, KB8MCZ, KB2SMS and 2 others like this.
  4. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Wish I saw this video 3 years ago. It took me 2 days to work it all out back then but finally got it. LOL

Just a hint once you all get it running properly..I took screen shots of all my Win 10 settings and Screen Captures of the IC 7300; saved them AND printed them out.
    I don't want to go thru the hair pulling again.

NU4R, VE2GCE and VK7HH like this.
  5. WA2SEA

WA2SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes the ic7300 1.4 firmware is current and does have the preset for ft8. Works just fine.

W6FVO, K0UO, K7PJM and 1 other person like this.
  6. VK7HH

Yes it does, I haven’t updated my firmware yet to the newest, and this applies to everyone running old firmware too.

7. VK7HH

very good tip about taking screenshots/backup

VK3PCJ likes this.
  8. K9GLS

K9GLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Also if you're not using the current firmware just save your configuration on the 7300 to the SD Card (that's in the manual) and then save the %LOCALAPPDATA%\WSJT-X\WSJT-X.ini file on your computer to save the settings of WSJT x. Less time consuming.

2E0TWD likes this.
  9. DO9KW

DO9KW Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video but you just forgot to mention some of the most important settings of the IC-7300 for properly operating digital modes.
    1. The filter settings of the IC-7300:
    Normally you have to set the radio to the broadest RX filter to receive as much as possible because everything else is controlled by the digimode programme.
    On the IC-7300 it is FIL1 with 3.60k BW and Sharp Filter.
    you can change the values by long pressing the FIL symbol on the "home screen" and then adjust the values.

Also the transmit BW should be set to the broadest bandwith possible.
    You can do this by clicking menu - set - Tone Control/TBW - TX
    Here you can choose SSB-D and set the TBW from 100-2900

Then it is very important that P.AMP, IP+, NB, NR, Notch Filter and the AGC gets deactivated because as mentioned before: It is all handled by the programme on your computer.
    You can disable the AGC by going to Function - hold AGC - click on FAST and turn the big dial knob to the left until it is OFF.

In addition when transmitting your AGC should not come up, you can control that by setting the meter menu when operating in digimodes (menu - Meter).
    The ALC (bar on the top) should not come up but that is described at the end of the video.

And another small "pro tip" that your microphone will not get deactivated after some time:
    Open the Audio Settings under windows and when you open the microphone (USB Audio Codec) on the second tab there is a setting like "disable while on battery" or "disable when not in use"
    - please change that setting to "use also in battery mode" or something like that.

This are also very important steps for much better performance

regards
    Stefan - DO9KW

CX3ABD, K0WJ, K4WH and 2 others like this.
  10. BD4QDP

BD4QDP QRZ Member

没看到视频啊

W1SRR likes this.