ICOM IC-705 Review and Full Walk Through

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Jan 13, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I use my Brain Power so I know that if I run QRO I won't spend all day making three QSO's but a page full & I much prefer the page full.I have a lot of QSL Cards I need to get rid of so I need the QSO's that makes it possible.I was taught to work Smart so it does not require a lot of Hard work but it achieves a great amount of success.:cool::p;)

Clayton
    W4KVW

W9FL, KU3X, AA1BG and 1 other person like this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

But it might be bad if the other guy has an S9 noise floor which is unfortunately the norm nowadays.

M1WML and WD4ELG like this.
  3. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, of course, you have to assess conditions. QRP QSOs may not be possible when QRO can get through. But it is more likely that (a) no power level will get through or (b) QRP and QRO can both get through. QRM, QRN and QSB are probably more difficult to overcome. Pileups can be tough to break, but if you listen and analyze the pattern you may catch a lull, and you can make a contact. The patience of the other op is very important, too. The tactics you learn with QRP operation are useful at any power level.

M1WML, WD4ELG, 2E0HVK and 5 others like this.
  4. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a key point. Today on 20 meters FT8, with my hex beam, I was being heard with 50 watts in JA-land. But when I tried to answer several CQ's from JA stations, no response. So I fired up the amp at sent at 500 watts. Got an immediate response with SNR -10. Now there is no way that the JA station could not have heard me at 50 watts if his report was -10 at 500 watts...unless....he had high local noise.

Same exact thing happened 20 minutes later...station in Ecuador calling CQ for 10 minutes. I responded for 10 minutes... first on his frequency, then on a clear frequency in the passband. Nothing. Then I added the amp and he came back immediately with -8 report. Probably the same situation.

Needless to say, this does not give me hope for the peak of the next sunspot cycle. Regardless of how many spots there are, it won't matter if the DX station has a plethora of noise-making devices on his end (neighbors, utilities, etc.).

Somehow we need something that cuts through high noise.

M1WML likes this.
  5. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

6. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Bigger. Better. Faster. More. Now. Me.

7. KD8KQH

KD8KQH Ham Member QRZ Page

If making hundreds of contacts easily is your goal, why don't you use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram? No need to spend money on expensive equipment, learning skills, worrying about band conditions, etc. Working QRP from a remote location after a long hike is much more fun. And it comes with a fringe benefit - exercise helps to fight obesity (some hams could seriously benefit from it - there seems to be a strong correlation between BMI and amplifier power).

WD4ELG likes this.