ad: ProAudio-1

ICOM IC-705 Review and Full Walk Through

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Jan 13, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Bigger. Better. Faster. More. Now. Me.

2. KD8KQH

KD8KQH Ham Member QRZ Page

If making hundreds of contacts easily is your goal, why don't you use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram? No need to spend money on expensive equipment, learning skills, worrying about band conditions, etc. Working QRP from a remote location after a long hike is much more fun. And it comes with a fringe benefit - exercise helps to fight obesity (some hams could seriously benefit from it - there seems to be a strong correlation between BMI and amplifier power).

M6WRB and WD4ELG like this.
  3. G8LIY

G8LIY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

"Any Computer can make an FT8 contact but making real QSO's with a microphone are far more difficult"
    >> No it can't, it needs software, it needs configuring, it needs adjusting.
    >> Most people who decry Digital are usually those that don't have the patience to set it up.

"I have heard DX Stations wasting long periods of time doing all they can do trying to work a QRP Station while hundreds & hundreds are waiting because
    the station has no regard for the other stations in a pileup.I don't find that very thoughtful to other operators & a bit selfish on the part of the QRP stations"
    >> Just because you run QRO doesn't make you any more entitled or privileged to a QSO..!!
    >> Selfish..?? What a ridiculous comment, do you think you are "Special"..?

There is far, far more skill in QRP QSO Ops, than Production Line QRO QSO's.

The advantage of digital,
    > Many can call one station, and not interfere with others
    > In the Bandwidth of 1 SSB QSO you can easily have 40/50+ QSO's very, very efficient.
    > The Big One SNR, @50W of FT8 = 50KW SSB

Each to there own....

4. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I also operate a QRP station with my ICOM 703+ & a portable antenna at times & I don't expect ANY Special Treatment. If my Weak signal can't make it through then I expect the other operator to move along. How selfish of me Right? It's obvious that you don't know me at all. I'm far from Selfish because it's not all about me. I believe we should all be treated the same including those running QRP. It's a Choice & I choose not to work anyone just because they choose to operate QRP & I want that same standard set for Me. I still believe that FT8,FT4 & other digital modes were designed for LAZY operators who would rather have a computer do everything for them. Many just set them up & let them run Unattended & Yes it happens often. Just watch the cluster & they are easy to pick out. That's my opinions & I will never change them for anyone. My ICOM 7610 will do digital modes without a computer of extra software but I ONLY use a microphone because I'm Not LAZY & I much prefer a Personal One on One QSO hearing a Human Voice reply not some digital Noise that No Human can understand what it said. You go be LAZY & I'll keep keying my Thumb Switch. God Bless & Good DX.

Clayton
    W4KVW

5. W4KVW

I also run my ICOM 703+ at times with my Outback 2000 Portable antenna or TennTenna but I don't ask for Any Special treatment from anyone. If I can't be pulled out anyone should move on to stations they can hear. I don't want anyone not making any QSO because my QRP signal was not being heard. I much prefer QRO because I HATE repeating myself so that's most of the time my operating mode of operation choice.

Clayton
    W4KVW

6. G8LIY

G8LIY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There maybe Robots/Zombies... Certainly not me.
    In nearly 50 years of operating, for me FT8 is far from lazy
    I spend time Hunting, New DXCC, New IOTAS, New Grids etc...
    I Spend more time Checking QRZ, sad people don't maintain their Details
    Amazing how many don't realise they live on an Island, IOTA.

For me with very restricted Antennas, indoor loft, 5W FT8 is great
    3847 QSO's in the Log and DXCC 174, WAS 17M, almost WAS on 10, 410 IOTA's, 2810 Grids
    When the Band(s) looks dead, and devoid of SSB, FT8 still works.

7. W4KVW

8. W4KVW

If FT8 is the Only Way I could make ANY contact I would just let it go.If I can’t make it with a Phone contact then it will not be made.I’m a DX Chaser or a New Grid Square or Entity but once again Only with a Phone contract.I don’t care how RARE any contact is it’s just a contact and I will not lose any sleep over it.It’s just a Hobby and not life or death.I don’t consider it a contact if I didn’t actually speak with them.

Clayton
    W4KVW