ICOM IC-705 Review and Full Walk Through

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Jan 13, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello everyone, here's my detailed review of the ICOM IC-705. If you are already an owner of this unit, this video covers the essentials of the operator's manual. Thank you and 73 from Pascal VA2PV.

IC-705_review_thumb.jpg

TA1APU, KP4JM, VA2LM and 6 others like this.
  2. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for posting. I watched the video. Well done, very informative. I have to say, the little 705 is really packed with features.
    Barry, KU3X/QRP

M1WML and G3SEA like this.
  3. W4KVW

W4KVW Ham Member QRZ Page

90% of the people who own a QRP Transceiver are either running an amplifier with them or looking for an amplifier for them & I just don't see the point when you can buy a full output radio & just turn down the output? Far less expensive in the long run.With current band conditions QRP makes Zero sense on any band.

Clayton
    W4KVW

M1WML, NX1V, N3FAA and 1 other person like this.
  4. K9GLS

K9GLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah but the rush of contacting the Slovak Republic on 5 watts SSB can't be beat. In a pileup...but I digress.

M1WML, KI7JLL, KD5BVX and 4 others like this.
  5. W2SGM

W2SGM Ham Member QRZ Page

I used to feel the same way until I tried to take a full output radio portable and found my batteries were being drained during receive 3x faster than a QRP radio.

M1WML, KD5BVX, SA5QED and 4 others like this.
  6. G8LIY

G8LIY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For Fun/Challenge I have been running 2.5W FT8 into a 50cm Magloop Indoors on 17M ... Over @ 40 days... 82 DXCC & 34 States
    I have decoded 108 DXCC's during that period, I had a report from VK, but not a QSO

Attached Files:

M1WML, W0TRS, KE0N and 8 others like this.
  7. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you as always, Pascal. Look forward to your "manpack" edition of the 705 and the vertical that you select.

3 members of my local club have picked up the 705 this month. Two of them are also KX3 owners. The 705 doesn't really fit my operating needs, but it has grabbed the ham radio community's attention!

M1WML likes this.
  8. W6UXB

W6UXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Where did you get that 90% statistic from? I have mine in the backpack and I am just loving it, great receiver got the mAT tuner for HF TX and a couple of portable antennas, what's not to love, I have done the QRP plus amplifier, I prefer this more pure QRP operation, I have a LifePO4 battery and full 10 watts , 73 Geoff

M1WML, KC0JGE, W0TRS and 4 others like this.
  9. GW0HUS

GW0HUS Ham Member QRZ Page

If you think that way use ECHOLINK then you do no even need a radio or have to have a license ..!!!

M1WML likes this.
  10. M0TTQ

M0TTQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably the best of the review videos of the 705 I've seen. I can certainly see the attraction of it for people who want to flip between pairing it with a linear at home and operating portable. It's quite possible I will end up doing that myself with it. You can work plenty of DX with 10W. I am not far off DXCC with 10W from operating portable a few times a month over the last 6 months.

M1WML and K0UO like this.