ad: elecraft

Icom 7300: How to Properly Set Mic Gain

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0LWC, Jan 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KB7RV

KB7RV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you. It was very informative

2. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

My compression is 2, the gain is 45. Works great and I have received great audio reports. I use a Heil Pro Headset.

BTW: Why does anyone care if something is monetized. I only care if the content is relative and produced well. If a person can make a buck that is great. Just don't go to YouTube if it gets one panties in a wad. I swear, this place has more snowflakes that can be found in a local high school.

3. CX5CDV

CX5CDV Ham Member QRZ Page

Gracias por la ayuda,estoy muy feliz con mi 7300,me cambio la vida jajaja,saludos para todos,buena Salud 73 desde Uruguay.

CARLOS CX5CDV

WD4ELG likes this.
  4. W4VR

W4VR Ham Member QRZ Page

It is also very helpful to properly set the equalizer.

5. N3KBF

N3KBF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I followed these instructions for my IC-7300 and have gotten nothing but great reviews on my audio with just the 100 watts coming from the radio.

6. KM6AVH

KM6AVH Ham Member QRZ Page

This was great help. I use the SM-30 desk mic. I get good reviews on my audio quality.

7. CX5CDV

segundouenas tardes, buenos dias, buenas noches para los coegas de todo el mundo, me llego del Japon un Sm50 Icom para mi 7300, pero aun estoy intentando dejarlo a punto, dejo en claro que no quiero abrirlo abajo, lo graduare con el equipo, gracias

8. KB7KUH

KB7KUH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I took the time to read and try this and it really helped. Getting great signal reports.

Thanks.

9. CX5CDV

Good afternoon, good evening, good morning, to all colleagues in the world.
    Sorry for the spelling errors, but it is due to translation problems.
    Thanks I will be attentive to the new reports on the Icom Ic-7300.

10. KD2PII

KD2PII Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to take the mic gain down to 10 in order to prevent voice peaks swinging over 50% ALC. Once I turn the compression on, even at level 1, the ALC jumps up to 90% on voice peaks. And the compression meter barely moves with an occasional 5db peak.

11. DAMO666

DAMO666 QRZ Member

This is also what I'm seeing in addition to several others, including yourself.

I'm currently set to 15 on mic' gain, 4 compression, and TBW on mid using the stock mic'.

Compression set to level 4 gives me about an average of 5dB occasionally peaking at 10dB.

The Icom manual states we should set compression between 10 > 20dB!

12. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

get jimmy on 7250,"dob". he will set you straight...!
    he has worst audio on the air."hissy" overblown but he will tell you how !